Thechosen1

#Thistagwilltravel
Reaction score
Handicap
What's better. Was thinking of taking my dad for his 60th birthday with another two family members. Was trying to see if prices compare or if it's better to try and play more rounds in one day at Bandon which seems to be the cheaper way.

Pebble, just for history. Coming up 18 will give you chicken skin, at least for me it did.

Never played either, but I want to play Pebble. I've walked a few holes and would love to play 18 holes there someday.

What's better. Was thinking of taking my dad for his 60th birthday with another two family members. Was trying to see if prices compare or if it's better to try and play more rounds in one day at Bandon which seems to be the cheaper way.

Having never played Pebble I can't give you a true apples to apples comparison. 1st question, can your dad and all the other family members walk 18 holes regularly? Bandon is walking only unless you have a medical issue, and with that you have to pay a caddy to drive you around.

Pebble will be $400-500 for the round depending on the time of year, and they usually require you to stay in the Lodge (at least another $500 per room). Spyglass is great, Poppy Hills is great, and Spanish Bay is also great. They all allow carts but I think are cart path only. Total cost is going to be around $800+ per person for a round and 1 night stay. Flights will be easier as you can probably fly into SFO or Oakland and rent a car down there (about 2 hours drive).

Bandon can be expensive in the summer, I know someone that goes up every July and it is about $3000 for them to play all 4 courses and lodging for 4 nights.

I am going up in March again, and the cost for 4 nights, 4 rounds, 3 dinners and 4 breakfasts is about $1300. So depending on the time of year, it can be a pretty good deal. coming from back east you will probably have to fly into PDX then have a 4 hour drive to Bandon, or spend a bunch to fly into North Bend (very limited flights and would have to route through another airport).

I've played both and Bandon will make you and your father very happy. You'll play two rounds at bandon for the price of one at pebble. The views are outstanding at Bandon on all four courses. The par 3 course is outstanding.

Don't get me wrong, Pebble is nice but having played both, Bandon everyday.

If you were going by yourself I could see going with Pebble for the history, etc. But here's the thing about Bandon - it is virtually the perfect golf buddy destination. You have 4 great courses + the restaurants + the practice facilities + the par 3 + the putting course...all at one facility. It is a hassle to get yourself there but once your are there it is ALL about golf and hanging out together. I don't know if there's a single better place to go for the type of trip you are describing than Bandon.

I've never played either, but I'd like to. With that said, for a one time round of golf and due to the history, I'd choose Pebble 1st.

Bandon Dunes and I don't think it is close!

Disclaimer...I've never played either.

It sounds like those who truly know, would pick Bandon pretty easily. However, from a bragging rights standpoint, "my son took me to Pebble Beach to play golf for my 60th" might hold more water for your dad when telling everyone about the trip--including non-golfers.

A note about Pebble, be ready for a 6 hour round. A note about either course, don't skimp on the caddie. Having a good looper or 2 on the bag means the difference between a good/great trip and an amazing one. I could recommend one for Pebble, not sure about Bandon.

With that out of the way, I don't think you can go wrong with either. The most important consideration about Pebble is the extra prestige and how much weight that holds for your dad. If he's talked about Pebble a lot and maybe likes name dropping a little bit :p then go with that. You get a little more bang for your buck at Bandon. Pebble is indeed pricey but the courses and the service are top notch so it's hard to get upset about it. They're both destination golf resorts, it's going to cost a bit either way.

Yeah I'm leaning towards Bandon because I've heard it has a better value but just harder to get to. Looking at the pictures and even the thread that another THPer did has me just excited to go despite knowing the history behind pebble.

Yeah I'm leaning towards Bandon because I've heard it has a better value but just harder to get to. Looking at the pictures and even the thread that another THPer did has me just excited to go despite knowing the history behind pebble.
Your PM inbox is full. You've got an open offer to answer any questions or help with your trip if you decide on Bandon. Don't be shy about asking.

I don't think you would regret it if you go there. Have been 5 times, and will be back for the 6th time in March. You will have to book a long way out (I booked our trip 13 months in advance) but it is a great time. Getting there isn't super easy, but it isn't exactly difficult either.

You can the route through Denver to Bandon and a shuttle will pick you up. Once on property the shuttles move you around.

Big fan of both. Just got back from Pebble. I'm a food and wine guy so that tips it to Pebble for me. While we shipped our own wine into Bandon all 8 of us wish we could have shipped in a chef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bandon and it is not even close. Pebble gets you a high price and 6+ hour round. Bandon gets you fun!

Haven't played either. Want to play both!

Pebble is better in my opinion from the history there and tournament I seen . Bandon looks nice as well, hoping to play both at my point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having only played Pebble, that would be my choice. I played in June and was not required to stay at the Lodge. Great course with a lot of history and the views along the ocean are amazing. Carts are allowed albeit cart path only. With that being said I've also heard great things about Bandon and hope to play there one day.

I would pick Bandon over Pebble, especially for a guys trip. Between Bandon and the American Cub in Kohler, it's very close. Growing up in Wisconsin, I'm very partial to Whistling Straits and the other courses at the American Club. The summer weather is likely to be better compared to Bandon as well.

I would pick Bandon over Pebble, especially for a guys trip. Between Bandon and the American Cub in Kohler, it's very close. Growing up in Wisconsin, I'm very partial to Whistling Straits and the other courses at the American Club. The summer weather is likely to be better compared to Bandon as well.

Oh man forgot about that one actually. I know it's one he keeps bringing up since his brother lives in Green Bay

Oh man forgot about that one actually. I know it's one he keeps bringing up since his brother lives in Green Bay
Is he an NFL fan? If you could somehow swing 4 tix to a Packers game and work that into the trip before/after golf...that would be some kind of trip.

Bandon every day and twice on Sunday. Pebble's $500+ a round is just too much for me to swallow on principle.

what a tough choice..... The Pebble Trip definitely feels like a once in a lifetime deal. For me I lean hard toward Bandon, GCA Giants everywhere you look, incentivized to play tons of golf. Courses designed with fun in mind... I ache to get out there.

Back