The Official 2014 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you watched the game it was obvious what was going on. The balls were completely deflating every time luck squeezed them, at one point luck gave up and started using nerf balls.

If it wasn't the Patriots, I would say no big deal, but frankly if it's proven they cheated again, their needs to be more serious sanctions than just fines and picks, those obviously weren't enough the first time.

Tried to cut and paste from this article but my phone wasn't having it. The report in SI has the rules on game balls in it.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/19/nfl-investigate-patriots-deflating-footballs-afc-championship-game

The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.

Each team will make 12 primary balls available for testing by the Referee two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game to meet League requirements. The home team will also make 12 backup balls available for testing in all stadiums. In addition, the visitors, at their discretion, may bring 12 backup balls to be tested by the Referee for games held in outdoor stadiums. For all games, eight new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer to the Referee, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game.

These balls are to be specially marked by the Referee and used exclusively for the kicking game.
In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted, the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball. Any such circumstances must be reported to the Commissioner.

In case of rain or a wet, muddy, or slippery field, a playable ball shall be used at the request of the offensive team’s center.
The Game Clock shall not stop for such action (unless undue delay occurs).

Note: It is the responsibility of the home team to furnish playable balls at all times by attendants from either side of the playing field.

I honestly think this is a load of crap. After reading the article about how the balls are rotated in and out I don't think its true. Also, the sources cited were from indy. I think they are just being sore losers.

Yeah it is being reported by multiple outlets and confirmed by an NFL spokesman that an investigation is being done. Regardless, it would not have changed the outcome of the game. Pats my not have scored 45, they might only have scored 35. The Colts still only scored 7. The Colts just weren't ready for that game, they knew they needed to stop the run and they couldn't stop the run.

But as far as the Pats go, I don't see how a fan can have respect for their coach like that after the Spygate situation, and while the investigation is still ongoing it will not surprise me if this turns out to be true. Serious question to Pats fans...as a fan how can you support a coach that has been caught cheating, and if I remember correctly I think NE has been accused of deflating balls before by opposing teams but as far as I know an investigation has never been done. This could end up being a big story
leading up to the Super Bowl.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this "report" is complete BS. The NFL is probably investigating it to appease the rest of the league and its Fans. I route for the Pats because I live here but, also because over the past 15 years they have been great. How doesn't like to win. The Pats got caught for spygate but, I'm willing to bet they were not the only team doing it. Brady has won more playoff games then 21 other franchises have won in there existence. That is an incredible stat.

I honestly think this is a load of crap. After reading the article about how the balls are rotated in and out I don't think its true. Also, the sources cited were from indy. I think they are just being sore losers.

of course that's the answer we expect from pats fans :)

all joking aside, I only played football a few years and only on defense, does a softer ball really make a difference?

I still hate the Seahawks more.

As a Colts fan I can say I haven't seen any other fan say this made a difference in the outcome. We know they got blown out, we are not sore losers. But if you search multiple media outlets it is the NFL who started the investigation, it is the refs who noticed a problem with the Pats balls, which is why they felt a need to go weigh them during the game. So far I haven't seen a sore Colts loser but I've seen some sore Pats winners piping up in defense already

I'm with a lot of you, it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome of the game but, if true, they find a way to skirt the rules of football once again. I know it comes out of Indy so I guess we shall see what comes of this. I'm going to guess nothing because the NFL doesn't want this to take anything away from the Super Bowl

Pretty pathetic that this is even being considered as a story line. What's next, Belichick influenced the weather too? If you watched the game, the Pats steamrolled the Colts. They were the more prepared and better team. Oh and before you jump to conclusions, I am a Dolphins fan.

I don't think anything will come of it either. Obviously they found deflated balls otherwise the NFL would not be investigating, but no one will fess up, they wont be able to prove who did it, so they will just drop it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this "report" is complete BS. The NFL is probably investigating it to appease the rest of the league and its Fans. I route for the Pats because I live here but, also because over the past 15 years they have been great. How doesn't like to win. The Pats got caught for spygate but, I'm willing to bet they were not the only team doing it. Brady has won more playoff games then 21 other franchises have won in there existence. That is an incredible stat.
So the report is BS, simply because the Patriots have won alot?

No idea if it happened or not, but of all teams the Patriots certainly don't get the benefit of the doubt.

Pretty pathetic that this is even being considered as a story line. What's next, Belichick influenced the weather too? If you watched the game, the Pats steamrolled the Colts. They were the more prepared and better team. Oh and before you jump to conclusions, I am a Dolphins fan.
It's a big deal, because if they cheated in this game, they could have been cheating in closer games.

Obviously didn't have an impact on who won the, cheating is still frowned upon.

Merged with the NFL thread since there in conversation on the topic going on in both places. Thanks.

As a Colts fan I can say I haven't seen any other fan say this made a difference in the outcome. We know they got blown out, we are not sore losers. But if you search multiple media outlets it is the NFL who started the investigation, it is the refs who noticed a problem with the Pats balls, which is why they felt a need to go weigh them during the game. So far I haven't seen a sore Colts loser but I've seen some sore Pats winners piping up in defense already

Listen if the pats broke the rules they broke the rules. It just seems awfully convenient for a story line this to come out after the colts were demolished the night before. I don't think looking at the report from the patriots side is being a "sore winner", just questioning the authenticity of the claims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a part of the game when even the announcers were wondering what was going on with a delay during the kickoff and them swapping out balls. Wonder if that's when it was noticed?

So the report is BS, simply because the Patriots have won alot?

No idea if it happened or not, but of all teams the Patriots certainly don't get the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not saying the report is BS because the patriots win a lot. The original questions was how could you route for the pats after they were caught for cheating during spygate. That is why I route for them. Mostly because I'm from Massachusetts but it is always easier to route for a team that has dominated the nfl for a long time.

Do they not keep a pump and pressure gauge on the sidelines, just in case?

I dont ever understand the argument of "Well they are just mad they lost." Doesnt matter why an investigation is being initiated. If someone cheated the rules, they cheated. Doesnt matter it the rule is stupid. Cheating is cheating. Not saying they did or didnt.

Listen if the pats broke the rules they broke the rules. It just seems awfully convenient for a story line this to come out after the colts were demolished the night before. I don't think looking at the report from the patriots side is being a "sore winner", just questioning the authenticity of the claims.

If it were just an Indy reporter who brought it up and started it I would question it as well. That seems to be what some Pats fans are using against it. However, it is only in all the Indy media because they played in the game. Just like if they would have played Denver it would be all over Denver media, and so on. If the NFL announces an investigation related to any team it will mostly be reported on that cities media or any team related to the news, that doesn't mean the opposing team is to blame.

how does a deflated ball help anyone?

I hope Celebrity Aprentice is new that Sunday so I have something to watch

If it were just an Indy reporter who brought it up and started it I would question it as well. That seems to be what some Pats fans are using against it. However, it is only in all the Indy media because they played in the game. Just like if they would have played Denver it would be all over Denver media, and so on. If the NFL announces an investigation related to any team it will mostly be reported on that cities media or any team related to the news, that doesn't mean the opposing team is to blame.

I know what your saying. It just seems like a convenient investigation. But if it is true and the pats have some kind of penalty then. It is what it is. I'm not going to stop liking the team because of it. I just don't think anything will come from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back