What Club For You Had the Shortest Honeymoon Period?

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
As a certified club ho (I believe the certification is offered at University of Phoenix), I admit to buying clubs and thinking, "WOW, this is going to change my game!" And then two weeks later, realizing that the honeymoon period is over and the club I bought is no better, and actually probably worse [for my game], than the club it replaced. For example, I paid the most I've ever paid for a club when I bought the SLDR 430 because of how I hit it against the screen. I raved about it here on the forums. And yes, I hit some bombs. But the screaming pull hook into somebody's back yard was just as prevalent and was killing my rounds.

I don't remember exactly how long I kept the SLDR 430, but I fell out of love with it quickly. Maybe not as quickly as the Razr Fit Extreme, but pretty darn close.

What about you? What club(s) had the shortest honeymoon period for you?

Callaway X Razr tour irons, lasted a week and only because it took me that long to bring them back

i20 hybrid. I was killing that thing in the store, straight and long.... Maybe I should just stick to indoor golf. It actually sent me back to playing a 3 iron.

G25 irons. I bought them with the intention of going for more forgiveness, and replacing my i25 irons. Mistake. The i25's are almost as forgiving, imo. I gave the g25s multiple range trips and three rounds, and I just could not match the performance of my i25s.

An Adams XTD (?) strong 3W.

Worst club (for me) ever. It stayed in my bag long enough for about two range sessions and a round.. Then it was gone forever. I am pretty wary of Adam's clubs going forward because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDR driver.

Luckily I won it.

Burner Superfast 2.0

I had a bio cell plus driver I hit 4 times at the range and sold it later that day

As a certified club ho (I believe the certification is offered at University of Phoenix), I admit to buying clubs and thinking, "WOW, this is going to change my game!" And then two weeks later, realizing that the honeymoon period is over and the club I bought is no better, and actually probably worse [for my game], than the club it replaced. For example, I paid the most I've ever paid for a club when I bought the SLDR 430 because of how I hit it against the screen. I raved about it here on the forums. And yes, I hit some bombs. But the screaming pull hook into somebody's back yard was just as prevalent and was killing my rounds.

I don't remember exactly how long I kept the SLDR 430, but I fell out of love with it quickly. Maybe not as quickly as the Razr Fit Extreme, but pretty darn close.

What about you? What club(s) had the shortest honeymoon period for you?

SLDR 430 is a close second for me. One huge bomb, followed by a deadly duck hook; rinse and repeat. Sucker went deep, though.

Adams idea black super hybrid. I hit the 19* the best I ever have with a hybrid, on a whim I ordered the 3 wood. No Bueno to say the least, it is fine because with that happening I found the true love of my life <3. The Cleveland classic is money in the bag.

Baffler XL 3 Hybrid. In the store it was too good to be true, so I bought it. First round went so well it was again too good to be true. After that first round I don't think I ever hit a single ball that didn't hook a mile no matter what I tried so I sold it about 2 weeks later.

Nike Covert 2.0 driver....this thing was dead on arrival. I hit my hybrid further. Horrible distance and just a really ugly experience. Nike makes some decent gear but for me, the Covert 2.0 driver wasn't one of their best offerings.

TM Burner 3 hybrid. Hit it like a beast in the simulator. Bought it, went home, and topped every shot I hit with it for 3 straight rounds..... promptly removed from the bag.

RBZ Stage 2 3w. Couldn't hit it off the deck to save my life.

Is it me...or do I see a trend here?

*Never mind, misread the question...*

Last edited:
RBZ Stage 2 3w. Couldn't hit it off the deck to save my life.

I'm starting to feel this way too. I need some warm weather to get to the range to work on this!

X-Hot 3deep, it was awesome of the tee, but struggled off the fairway & I have a driver for the tee ball

Simulator golf =/= real golf?
I would go a step further and say that the range isn't even real golf. Until you see how a club reacts in your hands while under pressure you really have no idea if it will possess any staying power in the bag.

I meant more of the range or simulator is not always the best way to choose a club. I know it is not always possible, but on the course under all conditions is best. Sometimes even a couple of times to be sure it is the right fit for your bag.

I picked up a Bridgestone J40 hybrid 21* to fill a void (3 iron) in my bag.
It wasn't long enough.
So out it went - one round. Not because I did not like the club, it did not fill the need.

I saw a SOLUS wedge at GolfSmith and it looked great at setup. I chipped and hit a few in their indoor range and thought I had found a gem. In the real world, this wedge didn't work for me at all and I promptly got rid of it.

The comments about the SLDR are interesting, the used driver rack at the local Golfsmith is pretty much filled with those. A couple of Callaways and Nikes, but nearly every driver in there is an SLDR.

SLDR.

Nickent ARC blades

G20 driver

Back