How much to tip a caddie?

weeicemon

Reaction score
Handicap
Playing with a caddie for the first time in a long time. What is the going rate for a tip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually just ask the caddie master what the going rate it

20% of the carrying fee for me!

Also depends how good they are. Some are 15 - 20%

20% for me

I'm playing at Streamsong in two weeks and will be taking a caddie for each round. It lists the rate for walking caddies as $90 + gratuity and all fees are paid directly to the caddie in cash. Does this mean that the fee for carrying the bag is $90 and if he/she is good then add 20% or is $90 the average amount paid to a caddie? This will be my first experience with a caddie.

I'm playing at Streamsong in two weeks and will be taking a caddie for each round. It lists the rate for walking caddies as $90 + gratuity and all fees are paid directly to the caddie in cash. Does this mean that the fee for carrying the bag is $90 and if he/she is good then add 20% or is $90 the average amount paid to a caddie? This will be my first experience with a caddie.

$10 more then Pebble and Spyglass, surprised to see that. My typical (for a good caddy) is double, so if I paid the pro shop $80 then I tip $80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My playing partner has caddied at Pebble. They would expect to get tipped between $50 and $100.

$40 to $60 should work just fine.

Not really relevant, but it is a caddie story. Few years back my brother played Cypress Point as a guest. He was told by the person who invited him the standard tip was $100/person ... And my brother enjoyed the experience. Said the guy carried 2 bags and knew the course inside and out. Of course, the members at Cypress Point, who pay a tidy sum for this membership, aren't too concerned about small change like $100.... Enjoy the caddie experience...

Last edited:
I'm pretty much in line with Spivey's answer. For a single bag, I generally tip a minimum of $50 and as much as $80

Not really relevant, but it is a caddie story. Few years back my brother played Cypress Point as a guest. He was told by the person who invited him the standard tip was $100/person ... And my brother enjoyed the experience. Said the guy carried 2 bags and kmew the course inside and out. Of course, the members at Cypress Point, who pay a tidy some for this membership, aren't too concerned about small change like $100.... Enjoy the caddie experience...

2 bags ?? Crazy. Reminds me of the scene in caddyshack, when the caddie carries for the old couple.

2 bags ?? Crazy. Reminds me of the scene in caddyshack, when the caddie carries for the old couple.
It's not uncommon at all at major resorts. In fact many of them two loops a day carrying double bags. Makes me hurt just thinking about it.

I thought the same thing. The caddie shows up at the range and watches you hit so he can make club selections on the course if requested. Then takes your bag and transfers what you need to a small carry type bag, very small very light according to my brother. No umbrella (Unless necessary), no ball retriever etc. No excess junk in the bag (we all have it). Said he handled both bags like a champ... And sometimes they go out twice a day. Still, I wouldn't want to do it. I don't want to walk with a handcart, never mind carrying 2 bags.

My friend at home is a caddie master and has told me before that $50 is really common (typical country club). Anything less than $40 is cheap IMO. The price can vary however on the experience of the caddie, quality of the course, performance etc. A new guy / gal will be happy with $40, but a senior caddie will expect and deserve more. The only exception would be if you have a close friend caddie (outside of professional employment at a course). Then you can determine the terms beforehand.

I thought the same thing. The caddie shows up at the range and watches you hit so he can make club selections on the course if requested. Then takes your bag and transfers what you need to a small carry type bag, very small very light according to my brother. No umbrella (Unless necessary), no ball retriever etc. No excess junk in the bag (we all have it). Said he handled both bags like a champ... And sometimes they go out twice a day. Still, I wouldn't want to do it. I don't want to walk with a handcart, never mind carrying 2 bags.
Of course every place is diffeent, I think the switching out to a day type bag is only done if you show up with a cart bag or something like that. I've had caddies at several different resorts and CC's and they have never switched out my stand bag to anything else. Of course I also unloaded a lot of the extra in advance, knowing I wouldn't need them.

One funny thing was at the bag drop of Whistling Straits and Daddy War Bucks pulls up in a Escalade and get out with a brand spanking new Taylor Made Staff bag filled with brand new Taylor Made clubs (some even still had the plastic on the heads). The bag drop attendant tells him to hold on while they switch bags and he can put the staff bag back in the SUV. Daddy War Bucks protests a bit, saying he just bought that for this trip. The attendant says' very nicely, "Sir if you show me your PGA Membership Card, I'll be glad to have the caddie carry it, otherwise let's get it switched out to make it more enjoyable for everyone, whatta you say"

I laughed to myself, but thought he did a great job in handling it.

Do you tip more if it's one of the caddy girls? :banana:

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back