Never know who you're going to get paired with.

DrMWP

Reaction score
Handicap
Played today with my buddy from work and we got paired with a very nice couple. They introduced themselves as Gary and Diane and Diane apologized for being terrible before she teed off on one. Gary had a really nice swing and piped one down the middle on the first tee.
Getting paired with another twosome is always a crap shoot but today was great. Gary and Diane were laughing and joking around having a great time. Every time I'd find the fairway on a drive Gary would say something like "great ball!" "wow, you really smoked that one" etc. we were having a good time.
Conversation turned to the standard "what do you do?" I told Gary I was a college music history professor and he asked lots of questions about my job always answering with a "man that's cool " or something similar.
I then asked him "what do you do?" His answer, "I'm retired" I then asked "What'd you do before you retired?" His answer...
"I worked on the golf industry." Really I said, what company?
"Oh, ever heard of RAM golf? My dad started the company and I ran it until it got sold a couple of times."
I commented that my first putter was a RAM zebra and Gary smiled, said "that was a popular club, we sold a lot of those." and teed up his ball.
They said their goodbyes after nine. What a great afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Hansberger. Good guy.
His father and Uncles were quite the innovators. I believe they were the first to come to market with the surlyn golf ball.

That is pretty neat. And, you're right, you just never know who you might be paired with on a given day.

That's a neat story, thanks for sharing!

One of my favorite rounds this year was getting paired up with 3 guys who were out celebrating a 30th birthday. Nobody famous, just 3 guys who I really clicked with and ended up having a great round with.

That's a neat story!!

Cool story.

Nice story OP!! I love meeting new people on the course

Very cool!!

Awesome story!

Always cool to hear stories like that. Thanks for sharing.

Played today with my buddy from work and we got paired with a very nice couple. They introduced themselves as Gary and Diane and Diane apologized for being terrible before she teed off on one. Gary had a really nice swing and piped one down the middle on the first tee.
Getting paired with another twosome is always a crap shoot but today was great. Gary and Diane were laughing and joking around having a great time. Every time I'd find the fairway on a drive Gary would say something like "great ball!" "wow, you really smoked that one" etc. we were having a good time.
Conversation turned to the standard "what do you do?" I told Gary I was a college music history professor and he asked lots of questions about my job always answering with a "man that's cool " or something similar.
I then asked him "what do you do?" His answer, "I'm retired" I then asked "What'd you do before you retired?" His answer...
"I worked on the golf industry." Really I said, what company?
"Oh, ever heard of RAM golf? My dad started the company and I ran it until it got sold a couple of times."
I commented that my first putter was a RAM zebra and Gary smiled, said "that was a popular club, we sold a lot of those." and teed up his ball.
They said their goodbyes after nine. What a great afternoon.

Wow, thats is awesome, I always love when I get paired up with someone who is cool. Usually when I play by myself I always end up joining with someone.

I'm an older beginner, and I'm always afraid of holding people up and wrecking their good time. I have yet to be paired with anyone who was less than completely patient, welcoming and good-natured.

Back