Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

13 is unlucky. I'll either carry 12 or 14, been sticking with 12.

Figured out the hybrid situation from my last post. Bag setup now is:

Dr, 5W, 4h, 5h, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, 52*, 56*, Pu

That pretty much covers the range of clubs I can hit confidently. I own wedges on both sides of the two I carry but haven't bagged either on a regular basis because I generally don't need a 48*, and I can't hit a 60* well. Same goes for a 3W--I don't hit it much better than a 5W, but the 5W I launch pretty well. I'm more comfortable taking an easy swing with my driver to fill the gap between it and my 5W off the tee.

Maybe go with a mini driver/strong 3 wood for those tight fairways. Or Carry the 3 wood you have and in the time to use it more often. You'll find you'll need your driver less and less.

Yeah, that's good advice. Although I am adopting the "length matters" approach. A long drive in the trees still means a punch out and a short wedge. Lots of bogs that way.

Who makes a large head 4 wood? Seems like a nice tee option?

The mini 1.5 comes in 14 can go up to 16. Or the 3 deep line also comes in similar lofts.

A solid hit fairway goes farther and straighter than a mediocre driver in the trees. I've learned this the hard way and now my game is better for it. In time I'm sure yours will too.

The mini 1.5 comes in 14 can go up to 16. Or the 3 deep line also comes in similar lofts.

A solid hit fairway goes farther and straighter than a mediocre driver in the trees. I've learned this the hard way and now my game is better for it. In time I'm sure yours will too.

But the large head little to no spin drivers make for pretty good knock down clubs of the tee.
Hockey stick style swing at the right edge of the fairway with a low hook is easier than a a full swing hybrid (when all you are looking for is somewhere out there and marginally in play.

I think I finally have everything set. The last couple months I haven't had a gap wedge, mainly I was able to stay away from that yardage or adjust with my PW/56 to make it work. But over the last few weeks I keep finding myself in the GW yardage a lot more, mainly due to a change at driver, so decided it was an easy adjustment by ditching one of the 4w's. So with more distance and a more forgiving driver and with other changes I made this season, I really like where things are. A big surprise from the Motore F1 shaft is making me try to decide between it and the Aldila RIP Alpha 60 in the driver, but I think I win either way. The bag now is

Driver: J815 driver

FW: J40 4w and Heavenwood

Hybrid: J15 3h and TM Jetspeed 5h

Irons: J15 DPF 6 - PW

Wedges: J15 52*, PM grind 56* and 60*

I benched my 54 deg wedge, it never came out of the bag. I put my 5 iron back in, i have a 5 hybrid as well, the hybrid is 200-210 the five iron is a solid 190. I had a pretty big gap between 6iron and 5bryd before. The first round of the experiment went really well, I had one 190 shot and put it pin high just off the green, got up and down for par.

Thought this one could use a bump in general and for some of #TheGrandaddy discussion as well.

For me, the mini idea for December is dead imo. The GBB 3w is just too damn strong, but in reality it doesn't matter anyway because I'll be pulling the heavenwood almost every time I could think about hitting 3w.

Wedge wise, I'm digging playing 54 then 60. Its a good combo for me.

Thought this one could use a bump in general and for some of #TheGrandaddy discussion as well.

For me, the mini idea for December is dead imo. The GBB 3w is just too damn strong, but in reality it doesn't matter anyway because I'll be pulling the heavenwood almost every time I could think about hitting 3w.

at what distance are you pulling hw and leaving 3w in the bag? Playing to a number with hw vice 3w? Is 3w going to be a tee only option?

Just curious, but why no mini if you plan on playing the majority of fairway shots from the deck with a heavenwood?

I'm guessing the gbb 3w would become a second option off the tee then. Would a mini be a better fit in that spot?

at what distance are you pulling hw and leaving 3w in the bag? Playing to a number with hw vice 3w? Is 3w going to be a tee only option?
My HW is a 230-240 tee and 220-230 deck club, if its further than that, I don't need to go for it unless opportunity arises in the way the hole sets up or I just NEED to go for more.

GBB 3w is easy off the deck, I'm enjoying it, but HW is easier. Need 14 clubs in the bag, so why not?

Just curious, but why no mini if you plan on playing the majority of fairway shots from the deck with a heavenwood?

I'm guessing the gbb 3w would become a second option off the tee then. Would a mini be a better fit in that spot?

GBB 3w has been as long as the mini, better ball speed retention on my miss when I've put them both on the monitor, sounds a **** ton better, and is easier to hit off the deck (even though I can pound the mini off the deck).

The mini is a niche club, it truly is, and while I liked using it for that for some time and could play it no problems in December, it behooves me to go with a more versatile and confidence inspiring club.

The more I think about it the more I'm going to stick to my bag I currently have.

Driver- GBB 9*|+2|D
FW- GBB 3W & Heavenwood
Irons- Apex 6-AW
Wedges- 52*|54*|58*
Putter- something in a mid mallet

This leaves one spot open. this is where I'm the most uncertain what it will be. Based on my gapping it most likely will be the Divine 9 or Apex Hybrid. Probably will come down to how well I'm hitting them at the fitting

I cannot wait to see the fitting wreak havoc on all of our preconceived ideas and notions. I'm so freaking excited for it to for me it's not funny.

What differences are you seeing between 3w and Heavenwood? What similarities?

It's interesting that you mention this. I've hit some not-so-great shots with my 3 wood recently, and thus I've found myself reaching for my 20 degree hybrid on a hole where I don't need driver. I really only use the 3 wood as a tee club anyways, so I'm actually considering going with something a little higher lofted, like in the 17 or 18 degree range, as my fairway wood so that I could hit it off the deck a little easier than my 3 wood, and maybe get some more accuracy by going to a higher loft as well.

I realize lots of people are going to tell me "Heavenwood", but I'm a little concerned about the lighter weight of that club, I tend to play better with higher swing weights (D4 in most of my clubs right now). But since you're playing your Heavenwood at 19 degrees, what distance difference do you see between that club and your driver?

What differences are you seeing between 3w and Heavenwood? What similarities?

3w is about 15 yards longer, both have high flight that I adore, and are forgiving as sin for me. But, the heavenwood is point and shoot, I've literally never been more confident in a club.

It's interesting that you mention this. I've hit some not-so-great shots with my 3 wood recently, and thus I've found myself reaching for my 20 degree hybrid on a hole where I don't need driver. I really only use the 3 wood as a tee club anyways, so I'm actually considering going with something a little higher lofted, like in the 17 or 18 degree range, as my fairway wood so that I could hit it off the deck a little easier than my 3 wood, and maybe get some more accuracy by going to a higher loft as well.

I realize lots of people are going to tell me "Heavenwood", but I'm a little concerned about the lighter weight of that club, I tend to play better with higher swing weights (D4 in most of my clubs right now). But since you're playing your Heavenwood at 19 degrees, what distance difference do you see between that club and your driver?

My HW is a D5 FWIW, I like them heavy too Amol! Hahahaha

Off the tee, 25-30 yard difference for me.

I completely understand where you're coming from with regard to the weight on the HW. I would recommend a 7w with heavier shaft/longer shaft as a possible solution since the 7w is weighted for shorter shaft rather than the HW that is weighed for longer. Buddy I know that plays it absolutely kills the ball with it. Carries it at least 220

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My HW with the 70 Rogue i/o swing weights to D5, its blissful.

My HW is a 230-240 tee and 220-230 deck club, if its further than that, I don't need to go for it unless opportunity arises in the way the hole sets up or I just NEED to go for more.

GBB 3w is easy off the deck, I'm enjoying it, but HW is easier. Need 14 clubs in the bag, so why not?

Makes complete sense. The 230ish is my limit in going for it but I'm not good enough to get that with the hw. Sounds like a solid setup at the top

3w is about 15 yards longer, both have high flight that I adore, and are forgiving as sin for me. But, the heavenwood is point and shoot, I've literally never been more confident in a club.

My HW is a D5 FWIW, I like them heavy too Amol! Hahahaha

Off the tee, 25-30 yard difference for me.

My HW with the 70 Rogue i/o swing weights to D5, its blissful.

I see your issue. Honestly, for me, a 15 yard difference between fairway wood and driver doesn't make a ton of sense, I'd like it to be more like 20-30 for my bag. The courses around here tend to be shorter and tighter, so I need a fairway finder with the club underneath my driver.

For the swingweight, is that how it plays by just simply swapping out the stock shaft for the Rouge, or did Callaway increase the SW? The length of the Heavenwood sounds perfect for me at just under 43 inches. Feel free to PM me about the swingweight stuff if you think it would derail this thread too much.

From driver to pw my bag set up is unshakeable. I've become super comfortable going driver, 4w, then 3i to pw. That leaves wedge setup. Currently gaming 52,56 and 60. The gap between pw and 52 is a bit big bit I've narrowed it a bit by going half inch long on the 52 (that idea is from gaming j15 52 wedge which the stock length is longer than my pw for some reason). I'm contemplating going back to 50, 54 and 58 but the pm grind 60 is so good for short sided shots that I may go 50,54 then pm 60

Switched the 4 iron out for a 4 hybrid and I would say I'm pretty pleased with the results. The height I can get off the tee with it is unreal, and distance is right where I'd want it compared to my 4 iron. I also feel like I can control it really well in any situation and get much better height off the turf with it compared to the 4 iron. the thought has started to creep in to switch out the 5 iron as well. Everything else in the bag is really solid right now and I've been playing the best golf I ever have recently with it.

So now I am:

Driver
3 wood
3+/4 hybrid
5-PW Irons
50/54/58
Putter

It's been fantastic for me. That strong 3 hybrid can play like a 3 iron and pretty much count as a 5 wood for me as well distance wise. I've loved it.

From driver to pw my bag set up is unshakeable. I've become super comfortable going driver, 4w, then 3i to pw. That leaves wedge setup. Currently gaming 52,56 and 60. The gap between pw and 52 is a bit big bit I've narrowed it a bit by going half inch long on the 52 (that idea is from gaming j15 52 wedge which the stock length is longer than my pw for some reason). I'm contemplating going back to 50, 54 and 58 but the pm grind 60 is so good for short sided shots that I may go 50,54 then pm 60

This is my set up too, except I swapped the 3i for a set AW to help fill the gap between PW and 52. The only thing I'm contemplating is swapping my 56 and 60 for a 58 and a 3h.

I don't mind having the large gap at the top of my bag 4W to 4i is about 25 yards for me, but when I'm that far out anything can happen.

This is my set up too, except I swapped the 3i for a set AW to help fill the gap between PW and 52. The only thing I'm contemplating is swapping my 56 and 60 for a 58 and a 3h.

I don't mind having the large gap at the top of my bag 4W to 4i is about 25 yards for me, but when I'm that far out anything can happen.
I have a pretty big gap between 4w and 3i as well (about 20 to 25 yds) but at that range it's not a big deal. I'm not exactly pin hunting at 250 range lol

Right now only 3 things are safe in the bag: my prototype odyssey putter, my MD3 54*s and my XR 3w. Driver, irons, ball and 1 open spot after 5i is open for auditions. I've built every the rest of bag around those three dependable clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bag is set at the very top and from the 7i down. The XR pro 3w has been very good to me this year, no more driver for me maybe ever. My xtd irons and PM grind 60° are happy. But I am open to looking at hybrid replacements for the 3, 5, and 6 spots. It's not crucial but it's a ponder. Those are my least confident clubs right now.

Back