Green Speeds, your preference

chpar4

Albatross 2023 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With the advancements in grasses and equipment, average green speeds have increased over the years. What's your preference, fast or slower? Also, do you think faster green speeds slow down pace of play?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Doesn't really matter to me as long as it's consistent throughout the round

I like quick greens, nothing outrageous.

I like quicker, but I am not sure what that would translate to by Stimp. We played a mini gathering at Lake Jovita and I thought they were lightning fast like a 12 and it turned out they were 9 I think. But they did have some undulation to them, so I will say fast but might really mean Medium depending on the Course.

I like ours which are 9 to 9.5. Plenty fast for me. I wonder if a lot of times when people say their greens are running 11 or 12, if it's really closer to 9.

If Lake Jovita was a true 9 then that is all I want, you could putt it off the green with ease.

Green speeds aren't slowing down rounds. Slow golfers are slowing down rounds.

Just be consistent and roll smooth.

Love fast greens and they only slow people that don't how to putt.

Love fast greens and they only slow people that don't how to putt.
Agreed on both.

Green speeds don't cause slow golf, slow golfers cause slow golf.

Faster, not PGA fast but fast.

Really depends on the greens for me. Faster the better within reason for me. My course is running 11.1 right now and it's damn near unplayable if you miss on the high side

I prefer quicker greens ,nothing overall outrageous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really prefer fast greens!

I generally prefer fast greens, but not ridiculously fast. The course contours should dictate the green speed and they do need to be consistent. If the greens have a lot of slope, a well struck downhill putt, not necessarily perfectly struck, should stop within 2-3 feet of the hole. Greens are way too fast if a downhill putt can creep by the hole and just roll and roll, sometimes off the green.

Stimpy eternal of 7 - 8 is perfect. Stimp meter of 5-6 is playable but frustrating and 9-10 is scary sometimes depending on your angle. I played a course that had the greens rolled / cut to an 11 once. I nearly cried. 5 ft downhill put with break and you breath on it and it's off the green.

Definitely like faster greens as I refer to putt the ball rather then having to hit it at the hole on slow greens.

I like the faster greens. Get the started on the right line and let it roll.

Stimpy eternal of 7 - 8 is perfect. Stimp meter of 5-6 is playable but frustrating and 9-10 is scary sometimes depending on your angle. I played a course that had the greens rolled / cut to an 11 once. I nearly cried. 5 ft downhill put with break and you breath on it and it's off the green.

I would shoot myself if I had to play on anything under 9 on the stimp

I think you would be surprised.

I know I've played slow green but not on the regular. Even with the rain yesterday Bella was over 9 and true as could be. The course we play in Tampa has slow greens but they are true.

I know I've played slow green but not on the regular. Even with the rain yesterday Bella was over 9 and true as could be. The course we play in Tampa has slow greens but they are true.

I believe courses have been lying to golfers for years.

I believe courses have been lying to golfers for years.

Really? I may start carrying a stimp with me. I don't know one way or the other. I ask my greens keeper on the weekends or read the boards at the courses I play. Grand cypress, Championsgate, OCN...ETC

I don't really mind either way. I haven't played on super fast greens too often.
My only preference would be that greens are consistent that whole day.
I do think fast greens can slow down play but I believe pin placement is a bigger problem usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8-10 is my sweet spot. Ived played 12.5 and around 5 and both of those gave me issues.

I like a faster green more than a slower green.

Back