Cleveland CG Black CB Iron Preview

I'm not usually a fan of black irons but I like the looks of these.

I really like the look of those, with the black head.

These are pretty impressive. If they follow the suit the new driver follows, these are going to be a very solid iron for a lot of people.

These are somewhere in between 588 TT and 588 CB. Definitely small profile than the regular CG Black irons.

I love black irons. I love Cleveland golf. These have my attention and I would definitely love some time with these.

Wow those lofts are strong though.
I guess they are trying to keep up with Callaway and some others with the lofts.... Now they can claim their irons are two clubs longer and people will believe it without compairing lofts.

I guess they are trying to keep up with Callaway and some others with the lofts.... Now they can claim their irons are two clubs longer and people will believe it without compairing lofts.

Loft is only a small part of the distance equation. For many of these irons, lowering loft is necessary due to the weighting that produces an incredibly high ball flight. Distance is merely a byproduct of that measure. Failure to lower loft in some of these larger profiled irons, would result in the ball ballooning and going nowhere by comparison.

Longer and lighter awesome. Not sure if that would be ideal for me though but it would for many. At this rate the standard 5 iron will be 40" in a year. Jeez.

Loft is only a small part of the distance equation. For many of these irons, lowering loft is necessary due to the weighting that produces an incredibly high ball flight. Distance is merely a byproduct of that measure. Failure to lower loft in some of these larger profiled irons, would result in the ball ballooning and going nowhere by comparison.
Then don't stamp a 5 on what's really a 4 iron.... When you have an iron that's the length and loft of a 4 iron it should be stamped with a 4 not a 5.... Just a pet peeve of mine

Then don't stamp a 5 on what's really a 4 iron.... When you have an iron that's the length and loft of a 4 iron it should be stamped with a 4 not a 5.... Just a pet peeve of mine

According to who and what? (Genuine Question) I hear this a lot and always wanted to know? Before deep and oversize clubs it might have been the norm. Then again, go back a few more years and you would have to change it again. Technology changs in golf and frankly that is a good thing. There are choices for everybody.

If I cut my driver to 43.5 should I change the marking to a 3 wood?

People get so wrapped up into this, I will honestly never understand it. If I play a driver that is 12* and someone plays one that is 8.5 degrees, they are both drivers. Distance will be a product of how the clubs launch for the individual. To give you an example, if the club is very low spin and deep weighted, and I hit both, the 12* would go further for me. So in that detail, the lower loft does not give more distance. The same can be said here. Every manufacturer makes irons with multiple lofts because of how the ball launches. If it is going to launch lower (see musclebacks), they raise the loft to get the launch conditions where they need to be. If they drop the CG and shoot to the moon, they lower the lofts to get the launch conditions where they need to be.

What number is stamped on it should never matter if the gapping is correct for the individual.

Last edited:
In terms of lofts/lengths, as long as I know how far the club goes, I don't care. These look really nice. Love the NS1050 shaft as stock. Were I looking for irons this year, these would absolutely make the list. Happy to see some more releases from Cleveland, who's a brand that flies a bit more under the radar than they should.

Me likey. Would love to try these head to head against the BB's with the Recoil 660's.

I like forgiveness and these appear to fit that well in a package that is pleasing at address.

Following up my last post - I've had a few times out where I've hit a shot in with my 48* RTX CB and thought "I'd really like an iron set made of these..." - these look like they might be pretty close to that, down to the looks.

I like the look of these irons and have always enjoyed Cleveland products...is the 6° gap between the wedges a little higher than normal?

Its at at the edge of what Cleveland markets for gapping which is 4-6* between each wedge starting with PW

Those are some really nice.looking sticks, I want to hit these.

Solid price. Can't wait to hear more.

Those things look awesome! I'm a bit surprised by the smaller head this time around, but I like it.

Really like the look of these things.

How much do you notice the iron # on the face of the club at set up? I think that's the only thing I don't like about them

I love that dark finish.

Launch is what matters, though. If I normally hit my 9 iron 130, and then pick up one of these 9 irons that has CG and other characteristics to induce a much higher launch, and as a result I hit a shot that goes 115 yards and a mile high and plugs into the fairway, I am not going to find much solace in the idea that it's got the "appropriate amount of loft."

How much do you notice the iron # on the face of the club at set up? I think that's the only thing I don't like about them

Didnt really notice it at all at setup.

pretty sweet looking. I've always liked the darker finishes that Cleveland puts on their irons. These don't say "tour" on them but from what I gather they are still a players cavity back iron, am I correct in that assumption?

Didnt really notice it at all at setup.

That's good. It's something that caught my eye when going through the pictures. I've said it in a few other threads but I'm a big person with the way the club looks from the top and it looks good from some of the pictures but was unsure about being able to see the #. At least you have multiple reminders of what club you're hitting. Couldn't tell you how many times I've set up and said to myself "are you sure this is the right club"

I play 1/2 over standard, so that usually comes out to 38.5 in my 5 iron, seeing how these are already a little long, would not be hard to pick them up off the rack and give them a try for me.

I think anyone who's been playing Ping irons would be alright with it.

Back