Struggling to reduce hip rotation at impact

mjcrun79

Reaction score
Handicap
I struggle to limit my hip rotation at impact to 50 degrees or less, and keep my right foot from coming up. ( it's been measured as high as 80 a few weeks ago)When I do, it feels very awkward. Any simple thoughts or drills to help me effect this swing change? Thanks.

Why change that?

When open a lot, I tend to spray ball to the right and lose some distance. Not sure if it's the hips open so much or my right foot coming up. The pro at Goltec noticed this. When I can keep it less than 50 degrees with my foot not coming up before impact my distance and direction improve significantly. I just struggle to find a "key" or feeling to groove this change.

This bottles my mind. I struggle(d) with getting off of my right foot. I can't fathom the opposite problem.

I'm at a loss...I'm out. Best of luck.

Yeah that's what the pro at Golftec said. My buddy struggles to get his hips open 20 degrees at impact. Guess I did too much Chubby Checker's Twisting growing up( for you hackers of a certain age:)).

Sounds like more of a timing issue. If your hips clear way in front of your hands then you're going to lose it right. You still want to clear your hips and get the weight off of your back foot, but you want your upper body and hands to get more in sync with your hips so they're not trailing so far behind. Without seeing your swing it's hard to tell if that's the issue or not

Guys try to keep this thread clear till Freddie gets a chance to chime in. He's asked in the past so he can try to get to all of the new threads that pop up.

Sorry I'm late in responding, I've been knee deep in a certain project.

Jlukes is right, if your hands trail too much it can result in a big slice if you don't stay down and through. If you keep yoy torso moving through the hit zone with trailing hands you will hit bombs. Early hips aren't bad provided you stay down and through.

Jlukes is right, if your hands trail too much it can result in a big slice if you don't stay down and through. If you keep yoy torso moving through the hit zone with trailing hands you will hit bombs. Early hips aren't bad provided you stay down and through.
Only reason I knew what I was talking about is because you diagnosed this issue in my swing over a year ago!

Break ya hip. Worked for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Break ya hip. Worked for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking more along the lines of arthritis in the spine :act-up:

Thanks Freddie and gang. I will focus on rolling not lifting right foot before impact which should help me stay down thru impact and power my hands thru to finish.

Thanks Freddie and gang. I will focus on rolling not lifting right foot before impact which should help me stay down thru impact and power my hands thru to finish.
Try to stay level through your swing. The head should nor move up or down too much. Unless of course your driving down into the shot, then there will be some level changes.

Stay level and let the arm drive through the shot as they follow the hips.

Back