Grandaddy fitting question for those who have been

AshMan

Passionate Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
So going through the fitting, would you say it is a good idea to make note of your current clubs and shafts for the fitter to have as a starting point?

Or do you just go into it and let them do their magic?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Just let the fitter have at it. They will ask some questions to get a feel for what has worked or not for you in the past but after hitting a few balls they will get you dialed in. They certainly know what they are doing.

Last edited:
I say go in knowing what your gear is, but be open to everything they have to offer. These are not you big box store fitter. They fit the best in the WORLD, chances are they best.

I would go in with a clear head knowing these guys are going to fit me well based on what they see on the range

I would go in with a clear head knowing these guys are going to fit me well based on what they see on the range
Pretty much this, Garrett asked me what I was hitting and why. I told him that: "I've been guessing wrong for awhile".

He led me to what I thought were unconventional choices based on my preconceived notions, but I couldn't be happier with the results. My mantra: know your current info but have an open mind, and try whatever they throw at you... you will be surprised how quickly they figure your specs out

Great advice in this thread. I'm a open book and can't wait to see what I get fit into.

Ahead of time we filled out information for them about what clubs and shafts we were currently using. Once I got to my fitting, we just mainly talked about any of the available clubs that I had experience with in the past. Now all of that was useful, but after only a couple swings worth of launch monitor data my fitter had a real good idea of what was good for me. It took some tinkering to try and fill one of my gaps (5i to 5 Wood) but that took maybe 10 minutes. They're very good at what they do and you may have an idea of what works for you ahead of time, but it'll never be as telling as the actual data along with someone who has that kind of understanding of what all their clubs do

I also really quickly told the fitter what I had been playing the past year. But really something I wouldn't have needed to provide him. The fitters are amazing. My fitter (Nick) had me dialed in pretty quick with my irons and shafts. 1 hour was more than enough time to get through everything

Ahead of time we filled out information for them about what clubs and shafts we were currently using. Once I got to my fitting, we just mainly talked about any of the available clubs that I had experience with in the past. Now all of that was useful, but after only a couple swings worth of launch monitor data my fitter had a real good idea of what was good for me. It took some tinkering to try and fill one of my gaps (5i to 5 Wood) but that took maybe 10 minutes. They're very good at what they do and you may have an idea of what works for you ahead of time, but it'll never be as telling as the actual data along with someone who has that kind of understanding of what all their clubs do
This is it for me.

Open mind is good, but keep in mind the fitters take your wants into consideration too, had I decided to go apex pros he would have fit me to then as best as we could, but the numbers we got to look at and compare showed the cf16 to be better all around, so I went that way.

Open mind and blank slate are good, but preferences are still preferences.

Grandaddy fitting question for those who have been

He asked what I was currently hitting and we went from there. Eliminated a few things off the bat and fit me into a good set. I was in a bit of awe so just tried to make some solid swings and listen as best as possible. Nick was just switching stuff out without really telling me (lie angle really) and at the end asked me my thoughts. Came to the conclusion that why I was feeling was what he saw as well.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was lucky enough to go I would like to try a combination of "stuff I've heard people rave about on the internet" and "let's see what numbers I get with a senior flex, and a Project X 8.0 just for fun".

Most of this stems from finally trying an X flex this year in a few clubs and being really happy with the results. I haven't had the chance to just experiment much, and would really relish the opportunity.

If I was lucky enough to go I would like to try a combination of "stuff I've heard people rave about on the internet" and "let's see what numbers I get with a senior flex, and a Project X 8.0 just for fun".

Most of this stems from finally trying an X flex this year in a few clubs and being really happy with the results. I haven't had the chance to just experiment much, and would really relish the opportunity.

The good news is after only two or so swings they'll have an idea of flex you need. Then off of that you move to shaft weight and characteristics. My fitter suggested X flex in my irons but they all just felt too heavy for me so that's when we moved on to a heavier stiff flex shaft.

I think the main thing is just no matter what, make sure you get clubs you'll love. It's ok to be picky to a certain extent as long as you don't take up time from others getting a full fitting. You will all be tasked with reviewing the equipment even during the event hangover (which is real and it sucks) but having gear you love playing makes the game so much fun

The good news is after only two or so swings they'll have an idea of flex you need. Then off of that you move to shaft weight and characteristics. My fitter suggested X flex in my irons but they all just felt too heavy for me so that's when we moved on to a heavier stiff flex shaft.

I think the main thing is just no matter what, make sure you get clubs you'll love. It's ok to be picky to a certain extent as long as you don't take up time from others getting a full fitting. You will all be tasked with reviewing the equipment even during the event hangover (which is real and it sucks) but having gear you love playing makes the game so much fun

Oh, I'm sure they'd be able to dial things in really quickly. For me it would be mostly a novelty exercise. Sort of like when I get bored at the range and try and see how big of a slice or draw I can hit.

It's not every (or any) day you have those kinds of resources available. I'd definitely try to enjoy the experience.

I got that too. We went with a "stout" stiff flex rather than jumping to x stiff. I like the weight for better dispersion

I got that too. We went with a "stout" stiff flex rather than jumping to x stiff. I like the weight for better dispersion

Might be why we ended up with the same shaft lol

Lots of great advise here.

I agree, let your fitter lead the way and keep an open mind. Have fun, it's an opportunity you will likely never have again. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be why we ended up with the same shaft lol

Results brotha! Results over feel IMO.

This is it for me.

Open mind is good, but keep in mind the fitters take your wants into consideration too, had I decided to go apex pros he would have fit me to then as best as we could, but the numbers we got to look at and compare showed the cf16 to be better all around, so I went that way.

Open mind and blank slate are good, but preferences are still preferences.

Very true. For some reason there is this misnomer of what a fitting really is out there. That a proper fitting is hitting every iron with every shaft and going from there. That's more a demo day than a fitting.

These guys as fantastic and will absolutely work with your wants.

Lots of great info guys. I was figuring I should write down what's in the bag, shafts and all, to know as what I am playing. Def have a full open mind to be fit for what is best for me...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I plan on telling them what's in my bag and what I prefer, but that's pretty much it. The rest will be based on numbers and what they see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true. For some reason there is this misnomer of what a fitting really is out there. That a proper fitting is hitting every iron with every shaft and going from there. That's more a demo day than a fitting.

These guys as fantastic and will absolutely work with your wants.
Absolutely. That was the eye opener for me here, I told him I was a blank slate, but he asked my preferences still and what I was thinking before we started (like my utter disdain for original px iron shafts) so we steered away from those things.

I will say know what you like in terms of launch and ball flight.

The fitters at ECPC will take care of the rest. With a few swings they will have you dialed in and it doesn't take that long. For me the hardest part was filling in some yardage gaps and making a decision.

Have an open mind, but have an idea what you want. I told the fitter what clubs I was playing and he right said..."So Apex then?" We went back and forth between the Apex and Apex Pros and eventually ended up with a combo set upon his recommendation. As far as shafts and stuff, let him do his thing, he knows whats he's doing and be honest when he asks for feedback, you'll end up much happier in the end.

It goes fast. 45 minutes sounds like a lot, but really time flies. Have an idea of what you want to try equipment wise. Know your game, what you want to see ball flight wise and what you normally see. Don't be afraid to ask to try a combo just for fun. It's OK to have a shaft combo for driver or iron that you are comfortable with going in to use as a baseline.

Again. It goes fast. We spent probably 20 minutes on irons, 20 on driver. Took 3 swings with hybrid and chose my own preferred shaft, and didn't hit a fairway wood.

Back