JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a favorite winemaker? Please share it with the group as well as why?

Not a winemaker, per se, but why start another thread? I live and die by the WSJ wine column. I'd link to it, but you have to be a paid subscriber to the online part.

Anyway, today was Australian Rieslings. So I thought of Brad--and now of Fiona. Can't wait to set up a tasting.

Setting aside the obvious candidates, I think Joe Davis of Arcadian winery produces some really exceptional mid- to high-end California pinot. His wine club is called the Grand Cru society, and members save 20% on all purchases. I don't know if this remains true, but for a long time he cellared his wines a year or two longer than most other producers in California, meaning that you receive them with more age and that much more ready to drink. His style is often described as "Burdgundian," meaning I suppose that his pinots are not of the stereotypical high oak overripe Cali fruit bomb variety (not that I mind those on ocassion!). He also makes a few syrahs, but I am (obviously) a big fan of his pinot.

• Admin
Joe Davis is very solid. I have so many favorites it is hard. My obvious one is Robert Foley. He think he makes the best overall wines in the world.
Pride Mountain
Robert Foley
Paloma Merlot
School House Pinot
His resume is a whos who of 95 rated wines and higher.

I recently had a 2004 bottle of Chateau Greysac and I must say it is one the best ones I have had to date. I tend to gravitate towards a Californian Pinot Noir but I love this wine, it's a shame I have not been able to track it down at my local shops.

image028.jpg

• Admin
A friend of mine drinks a lot of BV reserve. I think BV is Beaulieu Vineyard. I finally got to taste some recently. Fabulous stuff. He gets it directly from the vineyard; not sure how commercially available it is.

A friend of mine drinks a lot of BV reserve. I think BV is Beaulieu Vineyard. I finally got to taste some recently. Fabulous stuff. He gets it directly from the vineyard; not sure how commercially available it is.

Claire, the flagship BV reserve cab is a bit pricy, but very good and readily available. It's called the Georges de Latour Private Reserve:
64341.jpg

The other reserve from BV I'm aware of is a red Bordeaux-style blend called the Tapestry Reserve. I can't speak to its quality, but it is also easily obtainable if you're looking. Runs in the $30-40 range I'd say:

15799.jpg

Thanks, WSE. I'm reasonably confident we were drinking the Cab. I didn't have my reading glasses on (sigh) to check the label. I can't seem to find it my way, but my friend is in your area, so maybe the D.C. folks are luckier.

We are just now finishing up a Stephen Ross 2005 Pinot Noir. I don't think of myself as a huge Pinot fan, but my mouth is having orgasms. Am I allowed to say that? This stuff is fabulous.

Yes you are. Well I think so!

If you like that you would love Radio Coteau Pinot. Fabulous wine. Also there is Siduri. Another great Pinot that works in that nature.

Thanks Claire. I am a pretty big pinot fan, but haven't tried his. I'll look for it. I second JB on Radio Coteau -- both for pinot and syrah.

I won some wine at a fundraiser yesterday - I looked it up, it's Texas wine. Anyone every tried some? Never heard of wine from Texas but I suppose it is hill country.

If it's good, I suppose I can give them as gifts. But it looks inexpensive so I don't know if it's any good. I have no idea what wine is like, really.

Good wine does not have to be expensive. I have found some of my favorite wines are less than $30 a bottle. WIth the climate in Texas being what it is, the wine will be different than what you would find out of a CA wine, but it is always worth a shot.

"Different"...not being a good thing?

No, Different just being different. Different climates produce different flavors. Years ago wines were only fancied from certain regions of the world. However times have changed and I think people are very open to trying wines from anywhere.

Julie, I've visited a number of the wineries outside Austin in the hill country, as you say. Some of them aren't bad. Some are plain awful. Assuming the producer knew what he was doing, it really just depends on which varietal you've got and whether the climate behaved that year. Some varietals work in certain climates better than others. I'm trying to recall, but I think the whites in Austin were ok, and they also do a decent job with sangiovesse. I didn't like the cabernet or syrah I tried, if I remember right. Wish I could recall what the names of the producers I visited were, but I've forgotten. What's the name of the wine you won?

Mandola - I have a white and a red. You're giving me some hope!

Thanks Claire. I am a pretty big pinot fan, but haven't tried his. I'll look for it. I second JB on Radio Coteau -- both for pinot and syrah.

Syrah? Yum!

They have some great Syrah. As does Siduri. Their Syrah is called Novy and is exceptional and the price point is VERY low.

Don't tell me all this good stuff! I need to cut down on the vino consumption.

Im getting back on my wine kick again and now all I want to drink are Robert Foley Wines. I have been really hooked on his Charbono as of late.

Im getting back on my wine kick again and now all I want to drink are Robert Foley Wines. I have been really hooked on his Charbono as of late.

That is a cruel thing to post the day before Lent begins... no booze or dessert for me. :sad:

Being Jews, me and GG do not have to take that into consideration.

Back