Replace the PGA Championship - You Decide

I definitely would love a match play major. It might be sacrilege to say, especially this close to the Masters, but the WGC event is my favorite of the year. Honestly, I actually prefer The Open and the US Open from an individual tournament standpoint over the Masters as well. But the Master's is special because it's the first and really signals that golf season has begun. PGA is definitely last for me.

The PGA is fine as it is, I enjoy it equally with the Open and the U S Open. The Masters is my favorite by far.

Match play is no Bueno when ratings are built around stars playing on Sunday. A Day/Dubuisson Sunday final will not pull viewers.

Also, the PGA Championship was originally a match play event.

Cow Pasture Open. Wow. Harsh. I did chuckle though.

When you can't distinguish the green from the fairway, something isn't right.

I'd still love to play there one day but don't care for the tournament at all.

Match play is no Bueno when ratings are built around stars playing on Sunday. A Day/Dubuisson Sunday final will not pull viewers.

Cow Pasture Open. Wow. Harsh. I did chuckle though.
I wish it would go back to match play, but I agree in the TV age it would not work for ratings....unless the finals were phil against tiger.

My first post already pointed out it was initially match play. Also, Day vs Dubuisson was without a full showing of the top 25. And as far as TV ratings go, there's not much that can be done.

I actually like it the way it is now. But I'd applaud the bold move of match play.

When you can't distinguish the green from the fairway, something isn't right.

I'd still love to play there one day but don't care for the tournament at all.
Wait, is the Open your cow Pasture Open?

I was confused because Hazeltine (PGA Champ venue) was called a cow Pasture when it opened and hosted it's first PGA

Wait, is the Open your cow Pasture Open?

I was confused because Hazeltine (PGA Champ venue) was called a cow Pasture when it opened and hosted it's first PGA

Yes. THE Open is my Cow Pasture Open...

Move the Canadian Open to August and boom there is your 4th major.

My first post already pointed out it was initially match play. Also, Day vs Dubuisson was without a full showing of the top 25. And as far as TV ratings go, there's not much that can be done.

I actually like it the way it is now. But I'd applaud the bold move of match play.
No doubt it was a great match. But honestly, do think people will stop what they're doing on an August Sunday to watch golfers they have never heard of?

I would make it a rotating event between US, Europe and Asia. Get a chance to have two majors outside the US and some different venues not used in The Open.

No doubt it was a great match. But honestly, do think people will stop what they're doing on an August Sunday to watch golfers they have never heard of?

That's not really my point. I'm more interested in seeing really good golf. If the big names can't get the job done and that means a lesser known makes it, then so be it and it wouldn't be the first time. But catering any event so a big name has a better chance of winning because it might increase viewership backfires more often than not.

I'd keep the PGA. But, I'd reduce the number of PGA club pro's that are eligible for it. The rap against the PGA Champ. is that it probably has a weaker field than most regular tour stops.

I would not replace the PGA but I might tweak it to give it a more defined identity. One example could be having a set of courses that host the event on a rotating basis like The Open. We would probably have to omit the south east region due to weather but something like three famous classic courses from the greater mid Atlantic / NE region, the Midwest, and the West Coast, all on a rotating basis. That could be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think taking it global would be cool.

Am I the only one that likes The PGA Championship?

I like the PGA Championship. I consider it to be the most fair of the four and usually one of the more exciting majors going into the weekend.

Nope you are not alone. Leave things as they are.

The PGA is fine as it is, I enjoy it equally with the Open and the U S Open. The Masters is my favorite by far.

Agree with all the above. I think the Red Headed step child moniker got left behind many years ago. Year in and year out it has proved to be the most exciting Major for at least the last 8-10 years I feel.

That's not really my point. I'm more interested in seeing really good golf. If the big names can't get the job done and that means a lesser known makes it, then so be it and it wouldn't be the first time. But catering any event so a big name has a better chance of winning because it might increase viewership backfires more often than not.
As true as all of this is, televised sports in general are not about finding whose best, they are about making money.

The event will not change to a match play. Only because of the very good chance that the stars wouldn't be playing on the weekend.

I like the global idea. Take it to a different country every year.

Keep it. It is typically one of the more entertaining majors on the weekends. Maybe toughen it up a little by playing it on US Open level courses with the same conditions that they groom the courses for the US Open.

I'd keep the PGA. But, I'd reduce the number of PGA club pro's that are eligible for it. The rap against the PGA Champ. is that it probably has a weaker field than most regular tour stops.

I tend to agree. There was a day when PGA club pros could be somewhat competitive, but those days are long gone.

I tend to agree. There was a day when PGA club pros could be somewhat competitive, but those days are long gone.
I would argue that the Masters has a weaker field of all the majors. They have the smallest field of the four majors, plus you add the past champions who are really aren't competive and are just there because it is Masters.

TPC Sawgrass, same course every year!

Has to stay in August Icey. Florida in August is awful, even Ponte Vedra Beach.

I would argue that the Masters has a weaker field of all the majors. They have the smallest field of the four majors, plus you add the past champions who are really aren't competive and are just there because it is Masters.

Good point. And, after doing some research, the PGA has already reduced the number of club pros in the field. And, some say it actually now has the strongest field of all 4 majors. Maybe everyone has golf burnout by the time the PGA rolls around in August. I don't know what can be done to change that. Somehow, their marketing team needs to do a better job...and maybe get rid of some of the stuffed shirts.

Back