Joe Navy

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
The top of my bag consists of an XR16 driver (interchanged with a shortened TM R15), V-Series 3W and HW. I have better success playing my driver at 12.5*, and strongly considering replacing the 3W with a 4W. Currently, watching a few XR16 4W's on eBay. Looking for some lessons learned... Any V-Series fans that have gone another direction?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With loft only playing a role, is their a certain gap you are searching for or not hitting?

I played the V Series for a season and am now playing the Alpha 816. They are very different clubs. For me the V Series was straight and super easy to hit high, but I wondered if I was losing distance to that high / fall out of the sky trajectory. I'm still finding my way with it the 816 Alpha. It seems longer and is adjustable, which I like, but it's not as reliably straight or off the deck for me so far.

I'm playing a Big Bertha 2014 3 wood. It's set at 16*, and it works as my 4 wood.
Before that, I used a Cobra Amp Cell 3-4 wood.

Now, the Cobra is set to 13*??? for a strong 3 wood.
It works out in my distance gaps.

I went from v series 3w and replaced by gbb 5w. Can be brought down to 17* which is low enough for my game.

With loft only playing a role, is their a certain gap you are searching for or not hitting?

Not really searching for a certain gap. Just something to get me in the fairway. I will probably just buy the 4W and give it a try.

I played the XR Pro wood until the face caved. They replaced it with the XR16 Pro 4 wood and I love it.

FWIW, some of the highest swing speeds on tour like DJ and JDay, use a 16* 4-wood (or 3HL as the case may be). If they are choosing forgiveness and consistency of a more lofted fairway, I think there is something there for the rest of us to learn from. I would bet you'll carry a 4-wood every bit as far as your 3-wood, maybe farther.

I have to agree with tahoebum. Replaced my 3 with the 4 and haven't looked back. What I found was more consistency and no significant change in distance, if any. The trust factor is much better and leaves little doubt in my mind when I put it to use.

I played the XR Pro wood until the face caved. They replaced it with the XR16 Pro 4 wood and I love it.

I play both the XR16 3+(14 deg) and 4 wood (17 deg). Great clubs and both easy to hit off the fairway. I use the 4 wood a lot on shorter par 4s where I dont want much roll when the ball lands. The 3+ comes in handy on narrow tee shots and long par 5s where you can hit the second shot and let the ball roll as far as possible.

I have been playing a 4 wood on and off for the past few seasons but since i put the M2 in the bag it is one of my favorite clubs

Appreciate all the replies! I went with the XR16 from CPO.

Used to carry a 3 and 5 wood. Replaced with a 16.5 degree fairway. Never looked back. Good length off the tee and enough loft to add some forgiveness off the deck.

Plenty of people only seem to hit a 3w on tight fairways and for being greedy as second shots in par 5s but most people can't seem to hit one consistently enough to use on the deck. On the other hand, plenty of players can hit a 4 or 5 wood pretty easily in either situation. It's all about personal playing style and preference. My opinion is to buy a used club and see if you like it. If you like it, then go and spend big but I would hate for anyone to spend money on something they may end up not being able to use or hate using it.

Back