Do drivers get better the more you hit them?

kb1042

#TeamCobra
Reaction score
Handicap
I was listening to a podcast and the host of the show said that he was told that drivers get better/longer the more you hit them.
His exact line was "the farthest ball you will hit is the one before the face cracks". Basically the explanation he gave was that everytime you hit the ball it thins the face of the club more, which then gets more distance.
There is no way this is true right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's true with composite baseball/softball bats and guys will get them rolled so that the break in is even across the barrel.

As for drivers, I'm just not so sure. It makes sense in theory but I think any transformation is so minute that it would be tough to verify.

I know it's true with composite baseball/softball bats and guys will get them rolled so that the break in is even across the barrel.

As for drivers, I'm just not so sure. It makes sense in theory but I think any transformation is so minute that it would be tough to verify.

Aren't softball bats composite? I could see that material benefiting from break in, but I don't have any clue if titanium has those same types of properties.

I don't have a degree in metalurgical engineering but I have a buddy who does and I don't need to call him to know that it's hogwash. All the drivers are up against the core limit and are damn good. There are small differences in the size of sweet spots on modern drivers and certainly differences in spin but they are all very good compared to a decade ago. I could game any of 20 different drivers and be perfectly content. If someone wants to hit it farther they should take some lessons and hit the gym and increase their strength and flexibility.

Fwiw I heard it and immediately thought that there was no way it could be true. I mean it sounds smart and makes sense (in theory) but I was super skeptical.

I don't know if it's true or not but I have noticed that there is a bit more "bounce" on a club that is used more. It also could be you getting used to the driver. I am always worse with a new driver and I get better and better until it snaps. I seem to go through a lot of drivers but that's because I try to kill the ball when I pull it out. It's one of my strengths on the course and so I try to use it as much as I can.

Aren't softball bats composite? I could see that material benefiting from break in, but I don't have any clue if titanium has those same types of properties.
Alloy bats do better after a round of batting practice so I'd assume a driver could get better but probably not much

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

.....but they are all very good compared to a decade ago. I could game any of 20 different drivers and be perfectly content. If someone wants to hit it farther they should take some lessons and hit the gym and increase their strength and flexibility.

I don't think the OP was suggesting that this was a way to "game" the system by bypassing strength training or lessons. Just a question about whether there was truth behind the statement that was made.

I want to believe this...

I had read this theory before, but it was always prefaced by a note about the amount of times the driver would have to face impact that it becomes more of a moot point.

I don't think so, at least it didn't the last time I used Uber.

Do drivers get better the more you hit them?

I would unsubscribe.

I think it makes sense only to think that metal fatigue may occur over time. But whether that would affect COR or render any recognizable/positive affect/sensation to the user is something that only specific testing could determine. So I'd vote myth.

I'd imagine that it would be as simple as testing clubs' COR when new and then retesting over a prescribed period of time.

No, I definitely don't think this is true.

Glad people are feeling the same way I felt about it when I heard it.
I immediately questioned the credibility of the podcast after he said most golfers keep their drivers for 2 to 10 years on average.

The more you hit the driver, the better you get. So, of course you hit the driver the best just before it breaks or you get rid of it.

Back