LinksMaster

Reaction score
Handicap
5 wood vs Rescue/Hybrid. I currently have my trusty 15* R9 3 wood and the 4 iron out of my set is 24*. The simple answer sounds like getting a 19* or 20* club, but I have read previous that a wood or hybrid will go further than an iron due to an inch longer and lighter shafts. Which would you recommend on a budget and what loft? It will be a budget option and probably second hand. I play most of the year in links so I would need a more penetrating ball flight and to land it softly Anto firm greens from long distances. Thanks hope to hear from you soon
8c97f3c830b566661fa5429a82c78615.jpg

Sent from my 5056X using Tapatalk

If it were me, I would swap the 3wood for a 5wood, and add a 23 or so hybrid to maintain better control over Danger Zone gapping.
(which I actually did, you might have a different personal preference)

As for club options, hybrids (especially older models) are dirt cheap.

You answered your own question, 19-21* and what ever you think you're most comfortable with. Some on the forum swear by heaven wood others get it done with a hybrid, such as myself. Budget my hinder your options but won't kill them. Good luck!

First off, it depends on how you hit them in various ways (off the tee, deck, rough) and how capable are you in shaping your shots with them. Personally, I can't hit a hybrid but I hit my 5 wood pretty well. It might be different for every player. I think the biggest key is to find gaps in yardage and fill that gap. It has less to do with loft and more to do with hitting ability and yardage. I know that's not the easy option but it's the best for your game as a whole.

It also depends on which hybrid model you try, some are more distance oriented and then some are made as strictly an iron replacement made to be a more forgiving option to a long iron and still maintain proper gapping. Lots of good reviews on here on just about all the hybrids and FW that have come out for a while, find one you're interested in and check out the review thread. They do a great job with testing equipment in real conditions with regular guys and will answer any questions you have about any particular club.

I recently went in to get fit for a new 3wd and hybrid. I told the fitter what distance gaps I was looking to fill and then started hitting clubs. Never in my wildest dreams did I see myself with a 7wd but that's exactly what I came away with. I couldn't get any consistency at all from the hybrids I hit and the ball flight was too low. I ended up with a 3wd and 7wd to perfectly fill my yardage gap between driver and 4iron. Fairway woods also suited my eye much better than the hybrids.

Back