The Search For a Better Swing.

kevin81002

Fore Right!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Who knows
I was going through some pics last night trying to compare driver swing differences from the beginning of the year to now. I've really been working on flattening out my wrist at the top and it's helped tremendously with my driver accuracy. Softening my grip up has also helped me to take the club back with less restriction... which for an out of shape fat guy like me is huge. lol

Anyway Freddie, I know it's just pics, but I'd love to get your input on the changes made.
bfca58f475787fd33e98dd2abad40f5d.jpg

Top of the backswing from January
344339fe80e774787412cfed18403528.jpg

Top of the swing from last week
fc70e71f5e64a3d5943c68c1f5a8e9e0.jpg

At impact... January
87239616e843f0cc755ee35417ef2239.jpg

At impact from last week.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

i think that's the range where jdtox and i met up in sd. pretty cool place.

Nah it's the range by my house in Corona.

crazy. it looks the exact same, even that tree off to the left.

swing looks good though. i'm interested to read what freddie has to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazy. it looks the exact same, even that tree off to the left.

swing looks good though. i'm interested to read what freddie has to say.

Thanks. I still have a tendency to try and swing too fast... which causes me to start the downswing with my shoulders, which leads to an OTT move. When I'm able to control my tempo a little better, I'm able to lead with my lower body, which keeps my back to the target a little longer and results in better, more consistent contact. Work in progress for sure.

I know you've been working and I commend that!!! But it seems you may have picked up some new swing flaws.

You swing is longer now and you cross the line at the top of your back swing. You have a flying right elbow and poor weight distribution. I prefer the swing January vs the new swing.

You at very much disconnected in your recent photos and everything has to timed well in order for this swing to produce any consistency. I'd love to see that elbow move back to a more 90* angle. Your losing power with your current positions. You're hanging back at impact due to the length of the swing and the mismanaged weight shift. I think getting closer to your January swing would be better in the long run.

Thank you. What I'm searching for is definitely something inbetween. I agree the swing is way past parallel and needs to shorten up. And when I do make an effort to shorten it up, I'm definitely more consistent. And I'll definitely work on the elbow. My main concern with my earlier swing was the wrist position making it hard to square up the club face at impact.

Thanks again for the response and advice...and I'll update my progress on this thread.

Thank you. What I'm searching for is definitely something inbetween. I agree the swing is way past parallel and needs to shorten up. And when I do make an effort to shorten it up, I'm definitely more consistent. And I'll definitely work on the elbow. My main concern with my earlier swing was the wrist position making it hard to square up the club face at impact.

Thanks again for the response and advice...and I'll update my progress on this thread.

Then just change your grip.

I'm far from good enough to be offering advice, but I see in your swing a problem I often fight. In rotation during back swing, it seems as though a lot of your back swing is arms and shoulders vs hips and torso. That gives you the flying right elbow. To get that back in line is awfully tough and a big contributor to OTT. Just my two cents. Hopefully this nugget helps...

I'm far from good enough to be offering advice, but I see in your swing a problem I often fight. In rotation during back swing, it seems as though a lot of your back swing is arms and shoulders vs hips and torso. That gives you the flying right elbow. To get that back in line is awfully tough and a big contributor to OTT. Just my two cents. Hopefully this nugget helps...

His shoulders have moved to 90*. He is rotating against his lower body with good knee flex. Not sure how you ascertained he was all arms from the pics he posted.

His shoulders have moved to 90*. He is rotating against his lower body with good knee flex. Not sure how you ascertained he was all arms from the pics he posted.

Yeah you're 100% correct. It's just way too long. On the course right now concentrating on shortening the swing and keeping the elbow in. Much better but it's going to take some practice to keep myself from reaching back for a little extra. Even par through 9.

Getting closer. Still a little too long, and a little too much flying elbow. But it's a start.
bf7a4ec8daf8bf4edd613fd56078f346.jpg

8dcf5f30f6c6d44568074fc9e8f3a53f.jpg

Looking good Kevin

Looking good Kevin

Thanks Chris. But it is still a little long. I need to learn to stop it right about here...
021623d583f491e3606bcc30830b299f.jpg

The fact that you're still past parallel really isn't a good start. The swing positions look very similar. I'm glad you are working but what exactly are you working on? I need you to ask yourself that question. What am I actually trying to achieve and how am I going about getting there.

I want you to improve but I also want you to have a true sense of where you really are in the process.

For sure and I appreciate the honest response.

What I'm looking for is consistency. I don't need more speed. I'm long enough to play any tee boxes. And the days I'm on I hit it long and straight. The days I'm off, I'm REALLY off. Sometimes I'll lose my swing from the front 9 to the back. I want to eliminate the rounds where I shoot -2 on the front and follow it with a +10 or worse on the back, or vise versa. With 90% of the strokes lost coming off the teebox. A more consistent, repeatable swing is honestly what I want. If that means shorting up the backswing and slowing everything down, I'm good with that. I'm just looking for insight on what to work on and appreciate the critique.

Back