Six4three5 switching teachers!

Try to get your chest over the right leg. I think you're on the left leg or central and that is causing the hang back. As well as the late hips.

Sounds good Freddie! I will try that ASAP and now that you say that and seeing the pictures I think you're right on the money. Almost as if my upper body moves left on the take away towards the target, which in return like you said would pretty much make it impossible to catch up with the lower body.

Good deal Jimmy. Some really cool pics with explanation. Happy to hear a lot of things are clicking. Keep up the hard work and I'm sure the next part will fall into place. It's really been cool following this and actually has given me more motivation to work on my swing.

1c5b68304e51cf07779e5554519909c9.jpg

Here's my swing at the top which Brian says is a really good position at the top.

20e370ef16ac5261b70deba3a644740a.jpg

Here's the start of my down swing which is where I need to start the bowing to flatten the shaft. Sometimes I'll actually cup at this position which is no good, but I've worked hard on not cupping it, even before going to Brian.

b8cc83e42d983aa3c629a9dad5a67f77.jpg

This picture shows where I'm at and where Brian wants me. The yellow is obvious my arm, orange is currently where I deliver the shaft from and red is where he'd like to see me deliver it into the ball from. He said once the left wrist starts to bow the shaft will drop into the slot of the red and actually give me more power into the ball.

ace37c13eb0bff011dc9389010cb9c07.jpg

This picture here is kind of hard to see but the club face in this position is a bit open. The bowing of the left wrist and dropping the shaft line into the red of the previous picture will square the club face early in the swing causing me to only have to rotate through the swing.

60d78baa1f44e39b4f7adb1d8ecad5fd.jpg

And here is where my swing will benefit the most. I've always been a handsy player. Meaning I used my hands to square the face in the past and got away with it and played some damn good golf doing so, but if the time is a fraction off at this position is what causes me to suck at times. When the hand timing is exactly on the club face is all over the place causing sometimes a fade or sometimes a hook which is why I wanted to get lessons in the first place. To get more consistent and the work I'm putting it will get me there.

It's crazy how much my swing looks like yours at various places- the ones you are trying to fix haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's crazy how much my swing looks like yours at various places- the ones you are trying to fix haha

I wish I could hit the ball as far as you do with the same swing lol!

I wish I could hit the ball as far as you do with the same swing lol!

And I wish I could control it like you! Haha

Great stuff Jimmy, I think you're going to have a great swing when you get this dialed in buddy, if you can envision it, you can do it.

Well 8th lesson is in the books as of Saturday!

Got warmed up and went right to work. Grabbed the 7 iron and started swinging. Had a 2 week break as I went to Florida for a weekend and then Brian went down to the PGA Show. I was honestly a little nervous to see if I regressed at all and wondered if I would have reverted back. I was pleasantly surprised I didn't.

This lesson I didn't hit a lot of balls it was more rehearsals than actually hitting. I'd say I'd have about 8-10 rehearsals for every one shot I hit. We worked on have that tiny wrist bow right at the top of the swing as we were working on draws. Also tried shortening the swing a bit as Brian thinks it will help me be able to drop the shaft in the correct slot to hit a draw. I struggled with the wrist bow and it had me keep the face open at impact. It's such a tiny move but it feels so foreign to me. However when I did sync it up I absolutely obliterated them. I was carrying the 7 iron about 170 yards with a 2 or 3 yard draw. It was exciting and really motivating to hit the ball correctly. I can't wait to bear down these next couple weeks and really get comfortable with these new moves!

awesome!

It's been great following along Jimmy. Can't wait to see your game come the next THP event we are at.

Jimmy I watched the video on Instagram. What a big difference! Looking good brother!

Jimmy I watched the video on Instagram. What a big difference! Looking good brother!
Thanks brother. It's such a little move really but it feels so foreign. I think once I get comfortable with it it will click and I shouldn't really have a problem working the ball left or right. I'm excited to keep digging.

9th Lesson in the books!

Today my path was good and I was able to get the move down he wanted with the bowed wrist to set myself in the position to hit the draw, however I struggle with the face angle again. I kept it wide open. Pretty much was +2.0 to +3.5 all lesson. I was just fighting getting that thing back to square. So about halfway through my lesson, Brian stopped me and gave me a training aid he calls the "punish-er". He stuck an alignment rod in the end of a 7iron and you rest it on your left hip for righties and basically has you at impact position the whole way through. From there I was just rotating my body and making sure I extended out my arms and kept the club face square, otherwise if I wrapped around my body I'd hit myself with the alignment rod or if I left it open and got to steep I'd hit myself so it was really effective and gave immediate results on what I was doing. After doing that drill for awhile I was able to bring the face angle number back into the 0.5 range fairly consistently which was a relief.

After the lesson Brian and I started talking about clubs and I told him how I just got the new Bridgestones and we were talking lie angles and all that good stuff and it appears my new swing changes have changed my specs. Where I used to play 2* upright on just about everything, Brian grabbed me his 7 iron which is 1* flat and I was smoking the thing. Hitting it in the center of the club face pretty much every time. So now instead of bending 2* upright I'll be going a 1* flat and a 1* strong on 6i through PW. I'm excited to keep working hard at this. Also I have an old J40 6 iron laying around that I'm going to stick an alignment rod in so I can work on the "punish-er" drill at home and in the gym.

Keep up the good work, your teacher is right on the money. I think what he is correcting is that you appear to cast from the top. Your great hand control allowed you to score as well as you do. That was my problem also so I know how un-natural it was and is to conquer. Once you master this only good things will follow.

I'd like to see this "punish-er " drill on video if you get the urge. It'd help me understand your drill better.

I'd like to see this "punish-er " drill on video if you get the urge. It'd help me understand your drill better.

Take an alignment rod/driveway marker/extra shaft and put it either down the grip if possible, or in your left hand (assuming you're a righty) and make SLOW swings. Chips and pitches basically. If you are casting the club, or failing to rotate through the shot through impact, you will smack yourself in the left side with the rod. It will hurt like hell, and you will quickly learn to do whatever you have to to not do that.

Thank you sir

Take an alignment rod/driveway marker/extra shaft and put it either down the grip if possible, or in your left hand (assuming you're a righty) and make SLOW swings. Chips and pitches basically. If you are casting the club, or failing to rotate through the shot through impact, you will smack yourself in the left side with the rod. It will hurt like hell, and you will quickly learn to do whatever you have to to not do that.
Wardy nailed it. It didn't take more than one to stop doing what I was doing.

Keep up the good work, your teacher is right on the money. I think what he is correcting is that you appear to cast from the top. Your great hand control allowed you to score as well as you do. That was my problem also so I know how un-natural it was and is to conquer. Once you master this only good things will follow.
You pretty much nailed my game to a tee. When my hands were on with timing I had no issues. When the hands were a fraction off I was really bad. Taking out the hands is exactly what he's doing. Thanks for encouraging words bud!

Good work, I'm enjoying following your progress.

10th lesson in the book as of Saturday!

This lesson again I didn't hit a lot of balls, but I got a lot out of the lesson and Brian says the next few lessons will be more of the same. He says he's really comfortable with where my path has gotten to as I'm pretty close to zero now unless I'm trying to do otherwise. Still need some work on getting the club face back to square consistently as I'm still leaving it open at impact. Started off with the punish-er drill to help with the impact, then we started working on swing plane. Brian said my swing plane is good, but needs a little refinement. I have a tendency to get too much wrist-cock at the top causing the head of the club to point right. So what Brian did for awhile was put me in the position he wanted at the top which felt like a little shorter back swing (which it wasn't) and then I was finish my swing from there. It felt really really awkward for the first few, but then I got it down and started hitting the ball better. At home this week I've been working with the punish-er and taking really really slow exaggerated rehearsals with stopping at the correct spot in the back swing, slight wrist bow with the left wrist and coming through with a square face. The video my old man took from the dome on Monday was really really good as far as path and plane go however I think I left the face open a touch. Here's the video.

http://instagram.com/p/zLnhiXGVfm/?modal=true

I can't wait till these new moves click and once I get the club face down at impact I fell like I will be able to do whatever I want with the golf ball. I can't wait to get back there Saturday!

Back