BBB’s single length irons journey.

I always envy THP bros who can build their own sticks. Keep going.

I always envy THP bros who can build their own sticks. Keep going.
I'm not actually building these, but I have built irons before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Didn't have a lot of time to try out the 4 and 7 irons, but the results were good. The 4i is not far off my current 4i, but is easier to hit. About 2mph less ball speed from what I've seen so far. The 7i pinhawk is comparable to my current 8i, but then it's 35 degrees of loft vs 30 on my xrp 7i. I don't find it hard to get good height on the 4i, from 28-34 yds on the sim, but thin hits are more like 15-20yds high.
Forgiveness is better than I expected, and the feel isn't bad as well. Mishits aren't harsh. The best part, so far, is that it easier to hit target with the 4i.
I'm happy with the X100 shafts and will order the rest to complete the set so I can find about gapping, and hopefully get them on course before it's too late.

Interesting my man. Very interesting. I'll keep up with this one for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered 8 - X100, .370 parallel tip, shafts this morning to go ahead and get the whole set put together, so I can get them on course before winter hits.

Ordered 8 - X100, .370 parallel tip, shafts this morning to go ahead and get the whole set put together, so I can get them on course before winter hits.

I'll be following this thread I would like to try and equal length set with Nunchuk iron shafts.

I'm following along. Good luck with this experiment! Your reasoning seems pretty sound; I've had those same thoughts before - it will be interesting to see what happens.

I'll be following this thread I would like to try and equal length set with Nunchuk iron shafts.

That would be interesting.

Really great writeup of your journey so far. I am so contemplating building a set myself just because I love the building and tinkering aspect of it, being a tinkerer myself.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

The rest of the shafts have arrived. I should have them completed by this coming Monday so I can try the whole set.

Picked these up today
d676ad8a75fa523b7138cf122bbc1337.jpg

a34bdbea2c2c31185f758b576a87460f.jpg

Initial results are promising with these irons. I had no issue hitting through the set, randomly switching clubs every 2-3 shots. I was really interested to try the sand wedge, it's a bit strange setting up with a wedge that is longer than usual, but the results were really good, great at times. No issues hitting it about as far as I would expect to hit a sand wedge. I didn't have time to get any numbers, but I don't expect any surprises there based on what I saw outdoors on a very familiar range.

As I have stated from the outset, consistency is what I'm looking for, and certainly what I saw this evening! I found it really easy to hit them to the intended target. The shot shape was high and nearly always dead straight through out the set. At the last, I hit about 10 virtually identical shots with the sand wedge, and I don't think that I have ever done that before. The length of the shorter irons actually makes them more comfortable to hit because I do not have to bend over as much. I have not tried them around the green to see how that goes, but I will.

These irons do not seem to be as forgiving on thin shots as my current set of XR Pros. I will have to see how that plays out on the course.

I like the stock Ping grips too.

Best of luck with the new irons!

Dave

Had time to squeeze in a few shots again today with each club, and the results were basically identical to the other day. The first dozen shots, without really warming up, were good to really good. In fact, if I hadn't made a few really awful swings , they would have all been solid, totally playable, shots. My club guy remarked that he has never seen me flush so many shots, or hit so many solid shots. And, he has watched me hit many, many shots, with various clubs.

The SW is still the biggest surprise since it is so comfortable and easy for me to hit full, half to quarter shots with. I don't think it's the head either, I think the 7i length makes it work so well for me. I still have yet to try it close in around the green, but I plan to, either on Friday, or this weekend. I also to plan to get them on course this weekend, weather permitting.

Had time to squeeze in a few shots again today with each club, and the results were basically identical to the other day. The first dozen shots, without really warming up, were good to really good. In fact, if I hadn't made a few really awful swings , they would have all been solid, totally playable, shots. My club guy remarked that he has never seen me flush so many shots, or hit so many solid shots. And, he has watched me hit many, many shots, with various clubs.

The SW is still the biggest surprise since it is so comfortable and easy for me to hit full, half to quarter shots with. I don't think it's the head either, I think the 7i length makes it work so well for me. I still have yet to try it close in around the green, but I plan to, either on Friday, or this weekend. I also to plan to get them on course this weekend, weather permitting.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about those touch shots. I can't imagine that the length will be a problem on touch shots. Maybe just a matter of choking down or standing more upright?

I'm looking forward to hearing more about those touch shots. I can't imagine that the length will be a problem on touch shots. Maybe just a matter of choking down or standing more upright?

I'm going to try to get to a good short game practice area Friday afternoon.

This thread really makes me wish I was into building my own clubs. I'm very interested in the single length iron idea, but way too or cheap to buy any of the already assembled options.

wouldn't this kind of defeat the purpose of the single length setup?

d_in_a said:

wouldn't this kind of defeat the purpose of the single length setup?

For full swings, yes - but even then. For touch shots - chips, maybe some pitches, bump-and-run shots, I would think not. I certainly grip down sometimes on my standard length wedges.

I have to admit the practice session started off poorly today, yet I soon found my groove and hit some really great shots. I did that for a while and then turned my attention to the practice green. Since nobody else was around, I was able to hit from full sand wedge distance (around 105), with 4 out of the 5 hitting the green. Then I tried hitting it lower, no problem. I hit various shots, moving closer and closer in, with decent results. It wasn't amazing, but I didn't blade a single shot, which is remarkable for me. I didn't really have any issue hitting my, albeit small, repertoire of short game shots. The only issue I came across was hitting out of deep rough, but I'm not sure if it's the length (not coming in as steeply), or the fact that the SW doesn't have much bounce-- it did seem to get hung up in the thicker stuff. I guess I can say that this is as equally good or bad as any other wedge I have tried, since I don't have a great short game to begin with. I'll have to see what I can do with working my Smart sole S because it would be much better out of sand or thicker grass due to the big flange.

I'm planning to get out for a round tomorrow, and maybe even Sunday, to see how things go on the course.

I have a lot of thoughts swirling around in my head right now, and I wrote them down, but I'm going to let them sit for now. I'll keep to my results for now.

I took the clubs out to a par 3 course and ended up 2 over for 9 holes. I chose the par 3 course to get an idea of gaps. The distance gaps were consistent and predictable, after I got adjusted as to what to hit. They actually went farther than I expected considering it was 40 degrees when I went out before noon. They're about 10 yds less than where I was hitting the xrp's this summer. I'm going back out tomorrow on the full size golf course.

Around the green was hit or miss with the S, but that is pretty much what I generally do around the green. I can't say yet that it helped or hurt. Mid range pitches are another story, and it REALLY shined there. I nearly holed one from 50 yds.

This was my second shot on #1(180 yards) with the 5i after taking a breakfast ball. The first shot with 4i went over.
2599c9a5ae0c427bd9438d33b0a3fe13.jpg

This thread keeps getting better BBB. So awesome that you and Sennamont are providing so much detail on your experiences just as Cobra is promoting single length as a viable strategy. THP at it's best.

Last edited:
I got in my first 18 with these clubs today (Ledgeview in De Pere). 45/39 = 84. The back 9 was a PB for 9 holes. It was a true tale of two nines. I was only 40% GIR for the round, but on the back, I hit 6 out of nine greens (66%). The ones I missed on the front were caused by a few pulls and a couple of just plain awful swings. Add in some penalty strokes from lousy drives, and I was just glad to keep it from becoming a complete train wreck.

On the back everything started to come together, and I had a string of 6 pars. Sadly, the crazy sloping greens kept me from making any birdies. One reason for the much better 9 was that I sacked the driver and hit 2h off the tee the rest of the round (more on the 2h later). The other reason was that I hit the irons great. I hit the 4i to 15’ from 190 on a par 3. The only greens I missed on the back were due being in between clubs, making the wrong choice, and just coming up a few yards short. Every approach I hit on the back was online, and I have never done that before.

The clubs put a lot of spin on the ball, apparently, because the lower lofts stop quickly, and few of the higher lofted clubs even came back some. And I was not playing with a urethane ball, it was a LaddieX, not really considered to be “spinny”. I snapped a few pics to illustrate.
One thing that makes me happy is that I didn’t blade a single wedge over the green. That’s huge for me because that was killing me this year, along with any chance for decent score.
Not a great score, but I’m pretty stoked with the back nine.

4i from 190, I hit it a bit low, and expected a lot more roll.
3f95445cef900e2be5f408943499c5f4.jpg

8 Iron from 150. The ball mark is up to the left.
e04ebdb03603135b80296d290b23942a.jpg

Back