BBB’s single length irons journey.

BamBooBender

See-Moe
Reaction score
Handicap
My brain
I have ordered and received a set of Pinhawk SL iron heads from Value Golf, which I intend to have built to my current 7i length. I’ll use thread to document my results, but not the actual building process since I will be working with my club builder and he will be doing the assembly and adjustments. I opted for the 4i – SW, and will try the 4h if the 4i doesn’t work out (even the 5h if need be). I’m also trying to decide between DG X100, or one of the two other lightweight versions of the DG X100’s (XP115 or the SL version)
I’ll post as much pertinent info as I can due not having ton of time with work, school, having just bought a house, moving, and such. I will also post all my results regardless of whether it turns out good, bad, or indifferent.
My reasoning behind wanting to try single length irons boils down to looking for some badly needed consistency in my game. I can go from sticking a 4i shot to 10’ to missing horribly with a sand wedge. When my game is pretty well on, it’s the slight thins and chunks that get me. I’m hoping that having one setup, one ball positon, basically one shot, for most of my clubs will help with this. I also already use a single axis/plane swing anyway, which relies a lot on setup, so these should help.
My first impression of them is that they look better in hand than they did in pictures or from the site.
I’ll post some pics later. I’m also going to weigh them and have the other specs checked for accuracy, tweaking them where they need it.

Should make for a very interesting read, I am very curious about the single length iron setup and how it would work.

I will definetly be following this thread. Definitely intriguing technology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ordered and received a set of Pinhawk SL iron heads from Value Golf, which I intend to have built to my current 7i length. I’ll use thread to document my results, but not the actual building process since I will be working with my club builder and he will be doing the assembly and adjustments. I opted for the 4i – SW, and will try the 4h if the 4i doesn’t work out (even the 5h if need be). I’m also trying to decide between DG X100, or one of the two other lightweight versions of the DG X100’s (XP115 or the SL version)
I’ll post as much pertinent info as I can due not having ton of time with work, school, having just bought a house, moving, and such. I will also post all my results regardless of whether it turns out good, bad, or indifferent.
My reasoning behind wanting to try single length irons boils down to looking for some badly needed consistency in my game. I can go from sticking a 4i shot to 10’ to missing horribly with a sand wedge. When my game is pretty well on, it’s the slight thins and chunks that get me. I’m hoping that having one setup, one ball positon, basically one shot, for most of my clubs will help with this. I also already use a single axis/plane swing anyway, which relies a lot on setup, so these should help.
My first impression of them is that they look better in hand than they did in pictures or from the site.
I’ll post some pics later. I’m also going to weigh them and have the other specs checked for accuracy, tweaking them where they need it.

If you're playing X100 I'd imagine you have a high swing speed. How far do you hit the XR 7i? A very high swing speed player might get very different results gap wise when using a single length set in the typical longer irons than a slower swing speed player would.

Dave

Last edited:
Definitely on my watch list to follow along here...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

If you're playing X100 I'd imagine you have a high swing speed. How far do you hit the XR 7i? A very high swing speed player might get very different results gap wise when using a single length set in the typical longer irons than a slower swing speed player would.

Dave

I'm not a very high speed player, a little higher than average maybe, not counting the internet. I hit my 7i around 170-175 carry with an average ball speed of 120. The main reason for the x100's is that I'm looking for consistency with my, often abrupt, transition.

8128e75114ffb60d9b171ecf28be58d7.jpg

e8d856fc279c368b9811e6604eae7402.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

4i
61a70596a733fd7d1c3397a88a8695ee.jpg

d7fa1b32f536b6afdff07e693f4355cd.jpg

eb474448bbc29225065837693194cdd5.jpg

508ebf5e0711f0ce019e692461ace327.jpg

ca4b832f96758586dd1acc1ca008175c.jpg

6e3de929a41ce96d8440eac6179ef5ff.jpg

As you can see from the pics, not a ton of tech going on here, and I'm not sure why the grooves are staggered the way they are.

I'm not a very high speed player, a little higher than average maybe, not counting the internet. I hit my 7i around 170-175 carry with an average ball speed of 120. The main reason for the x100's is that I'm looking for consistency with my, often abrupt, transition.

170-175 7i carry is tremendous for a normal guy IMHO. I look forward to following along!

Dave

Pretty similar as it turns out. That was a surprise as I was expecting them to be considerably larger.

041a32b95be9924239834475e1585eb6.jpg

129b7ac7b022b4d62e9ea1361635f329.jpg

Well the 4 and 7 are in the shop getting assembled for some preliminary testing. I'm really interested to see what the 4i can do at 7i length. I have tried just choking down on my current 4i with promising results. It throws things off some, but it's not far behind playing it at regular length on average. When I compare best shot to best shot, it's close as makes no difference.

Interesting experiment..looking forward to seeing how it turns out

Good luck, it's going to be an interesting journey.

Good luck, it's going to be an interesting journey.

Thanks Smalls. I'm really going to focus on consistency here, and forget about distance for a while. I say that because I expect to maybe give up some distance. It's kind of hard to go back when you have had more, but I will gladly give some up for better consistency. Well, I say that now, but we will see how it goes.

As you can see from the pics, not a ton of tech going on here, and I'm not sure why the grooves are staggered the way they are.

"X" marks the (sweet) spot.

At least to my eyes.

Nice stuff there. Hoping to see more.

Good stuff so far. Keep the info coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back