TaylorMade R15 Driver Preview

Ordered a 15g weight to add toy R15. With 3 weights in the track it will get my swing weight back up a little, and help performance.

Ordered a 15g weight to add toy R15. With 3 weights in the track it will get my swing weight back up a little, and help performance.
Will be interesting to hear how this works for you.

Will be interesting to hear how this works for you.
I'm hoping it increases the size of the sweet spot. By putting an extra 15g forward and low I'm assuming I'll see lower spin as well?

Franken-R15 lol. Interested to see how this works.

As for me, I hit mine with PX one off last weekend for the first time and was largely pleased with the results. When struck well it is absolutely filthy long with an awesome high, piercing flight. When not struck so well, the sound gets weird and the results aren't as good as mishits on my Vapor Pro, but the tweaks made at my Modern Golf fitting (weights in the toe) minimize the mishits pretty well and they are acceptable.

Oh and the R15 Black with my unpainted raw carbon fiber shaft looks freaking deadly...shown here with the rest of my quiver!

28af3b1dcf0ee130f4d8407fa99265f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if a R11 adapter fits the R15?

Thanks

Added a 3rd weight to my R15 mostly for S'n'Gs but also to get the swing weight up a little more since I cut 1.5" off the shaft.
e4041db1320f5d2e2ec02eb5dd375046.jpg

I just got back from the range and this thing is a launch monster now. I'd love to get on a monitor and check the spin rates but for the first time in my life I might be hitting the ball too high or with too much spin.

Added a 3rd weight to my R15 mostly for S'n'Gs but also to get the swing weight up a little more since I cut 1.5" off the shaft.

I just got back from the range and this thing is a launch monster now. I'd love to get on a monitor and check the spin rates but for the first time in my life I might be hitting the ball too high or with too much spin.
How many grams are the stock weights in the R15? Is it 12 grams?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How many grams are the stock weights in the R15? Is it 12 grams?

I believe they are 12.5g stock and I added a 15g.

Very nice...when I did a driver fitting I was fitted for 3 weights but they were not available at the time to buy.

Nice! I did the exact same thing in mine with the third weight and cutting down the shaft to 44". Totally agree that this club is a high launcher when spec'ed right. I got on a LM the other day at Golfsmith and was launching in the 15* range which is about 4-5 degrees higher than my previous SLDR in a 14* head.

Last edited:
I have added this to my bag. Split the weights to the opposite ends, and had the best session hitting a driver I can ever remember. Really hopeful this can provide me with a tee game that is something other than "abysmal"!

I have added this to my bag. Split the weights to the opposite ends, and had the best session hitting a driver I can ever remember. Really hopeful this can provide me with a tee game that is something other than "abysmal"!
I've been pondering picking up an R15. Glad to hear you like it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

When I went in to the store, the question I posed was this: "I have terrible luck with drivers, but I can hit my XR Pro 3W pretty well. I think it's mainly because I like the weightiness of the 3W. It has heft that I think drivers lack. My normal miss is a big hook. What would you recommend?" He had be try a GBB and the R15. The weights in the R15 were split to the ends, I later learned it is for stability.

Of the 10 swings I took with the GBB, the best I could manage was a heavy draw. Most were snap hooks. I hit at least 20+ balls with the R15, and put on literally the first ever stripe show I can recall doing with a wood. And I did it on demand in front of others, which made me giddy. The misses were fades, which I loved. Give me that all day!

I went out today for a second session. After warming up, it took a few swings but the straight to fade came back, and I was sold.

When I went in to the store, the question I posed was this: "I have terrible luck with drivers, but I can hit my XR Pro 3W pretty well. I think it's mainly because I like the weightiness of the 3W. It has heft that I think drivers lack. My normal miss is a big hook. What would you recommend?" He had be try a GBB and the R15. The weights in the R15 were split to the ends, I later learned it is for stability.

Of the 10 swings I took with the GBB, the best I could manage was a heavy draw. Most were snap hooks. I hit at least 20+ balls with the R15, and put on literally the first ever stripe show I can recall doing with a wood. And I did it on demand in front of others, which made me giddy. The misses were fades, which I loved. Give me that all day!

I went out today for a second session. After warming up, it took a few swings but the straight to fade came back, and I was sold.
Love it!
I too miss right with R15 and left with most other drivers. It's a solid club if you don't miss the sweet spot too often.

Which shaft die you test/buy?

I apologize if this was answered earlier but how does the R15 and R1 compare?

For me R15 has more adjustability, more launch, lower spin, less forgiveness.

For me R15 has more adjustability, more launch, lower spin, less forgiveness.
Thanks Army, surprised to hear it's less forgiving. I know the SLDR definitely was.

Thanks Army, surprised to hear it's less forgiving. I know the SLDR definitely was.

At it's core R15 still has a low and forward center of gravity which will never equal high levels of forgiveness. I think adding a 3rd weight to the track of my driver has increased the size of the sweet spot a little bit, but that hasn't been proven with any real data. I think it's still going to be less forgiving than many other options on the market.

I game the r15, and have owned the SLDR and still own the r1.

R15 is like the SLDR and R1 had a baby.

Not quite as forgiving as the r1, but far more forgiving than the SLDR.

I love both the r1 and r15, but prefer the r15 as I can adjust it more.

Last edited:
Just pull the trigger Andy, you already have the factory shaft for the R15 anyway! I actually loved my SLDR, might even grab another 12* head to throw in the bag from time to time. That being said my R15 has def. helped my game a lot. Very good dispersion and very solid feeling, decent forgiveness. My miss is usually a low hook.

At it's core R15 still has a low and forward center of gravity which will never equal high levels of forgiveness. I think adding a 3rd weight to the track of my driver has increased the size of the sweet spot a little bit, but that hasn't been proven with any real data. I think it's still going to be less forgiving than many other options on the market.

Adding the third weight does not really increase the size of the sweet spot, but it does move the CG down further, which is a good thing for most golfers considering the R15 was not crazy low. Low CG keeps it below the ball height at impact which can give a higher flight, something that is definitely needed with these low spin heads. It wont make a change drastic like loft will, but does help in small increments. The same can be accomplished with lead tape too.

Back