Imperial Headwear "Tailgate Collection" - THP Preview

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
OFFICIAL REVIEW CAN BE READ ON THE THP HOMEPAGE HERE http://www.thehackersparadise.com/product-spotlight-imperial-hats-tailgate-collection/

In for a spotlight is the all new "Tailgate Collection" from Imperial headwear which features the pride and colors of 15 different states, and just in time for College Football season.

In a pretty cool move for this reviewer, Imperial was kind enough to send BOTH of the colorways of their "Magillicuddy" cap for our major tate colleges here in Oklahoma, the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University.

Info on the line from Imperial:

Just in time for the start of the 2015 football season, Imperial Headwear has introduced its Tailgate Collection that features state designed hats with creative style names.

The states included in the collection are: Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia. Each hat features the state outline with a defining characteristic of each state.

The Tailgate Collection styles include preppy cotton hats, as well as Imperial’s signature Tour Visors and Oxford Bucket hats. All styles are in stock. While consumers are invited to purchase theirs directly online, golf shops are also welcome to get game day ready for the football season by bringing in their local hats that will surely add enthusiasm and conversation to the shop.

They are priced at $30.00 for hats/visors, and $35.00 for bucket hats.

In Hand Images:

DSC_0186-XL.jpg

DSC_0193-XL.jpg

DSC_0187-XL.jpg

DSC_0188-XL.jpg

DSC_0189-XL.jpg

DSC_0194-XL.jpg

DSC_0195-XL.jpg

DSC_0190-XL.jpg

DSC_0191-XL.jpg

DSC_0192-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty Meh to me, I'm assuming its not officially licensed gear. They look like they could be huge with the frat crowd at those schools. More so if they were licensed.

Did they happen to purchase the rights from State Traditions? they have been making these exact hats for about 5-6 years

• Staff
Pretty Meh to me, I'm assuming its not officially licensed gear. They look like they could be huge with the frat crowd at those schools. More so if they were licensed.

Imperial makes a really nice hat, really comfortable.

I like that its not just school logo's, the states being on there in different colors and patterns make them pretty fun and different. JMO though, totally get where you are coming from, but I think it goes well beyond a frat crowd.

um, Yawn

• Staff
Did they happen to purchase the rights from State Traditions? they have been making these exact hats for about 5-6 years

No clue, not sure that they would even need to purchase the rights since its just a state silhouette, ya know?

These look 100% the same as State Traditions. Wow

images

It's a hat with a State on it...
I'm sure somebody will like these, but they are not for me.

I have a couple State Traditions hats, I dig them. I know the market probably isn't huge

Haha, I knew I had seen similar hats before, I just assumed they were this brand.

Imperial makes a really nice hat, really comfortable.

I like that its not just school logo's, the states being on there in different colors and patterns make them pretty fun and different. JMO though, totally get where you are coming from, but I think it goes well beyond a frat crowd.

I didn't mean to say they were just for the frat crowd, just that I could see it being huge hit with them. Very basic school hats were all the rage, and these are even more basic. I agree its cool that its not a huge logo, but the school name on the back would be cool to me. If I'm going to spend 30 bucks on a hat supporting my school, I'd prefer that at least a few of the dimes go back to the school.

Does the soft goods market need another lid?

I certainly am open to more college golf hats.
I don't think most people would associate these hats as college hats. Heck, most people couldn't identify the state depicted outside of maybe Texas, California and Florida

I don't get it to be honest. That's a ridiculous price for such an easy logo.

I'm sure some will love it but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for a hat like that

Just like with equipment, options are good, IMO.
I have no skin in this game but as a consumer I guess I look for standouts. Options are always good just wondering with out some zip, if these will make a splash

It's a hat with a State on it...
I'm sure somebody will like these, but they are not for me.
This is me, too. Also, I don't necessarily correlate a state's design to a particular college team. As an example, I went to the University of California. Give me a blue and gold hat with the outline of the state of California on it and I am just repping the state, which I don't care about. This feels like a swing and a miss to me.

Not for me, but i do love a good tour visor.

I like the idea and imperial makes good quality hats.

Just not a look for me unfortunately.

We all know the country of Texas will have these on for #RegionalRivalry

I'm gonna hop on a soapbox for a moment so bear with me. Whether you like the hats or dont like the hats or whatever product it is, instead of just saying "I dont like it" how about offering suggestions as to what you dont like about it or what they could possibly improve? Companies send these products to THP to get reviewed and obviously are interested in feedback. What does a company do with "I dont like it but someone else will" ? I am not taking shots at anyone but sometimes we all have to look at the bigger picture. I am as guilty as anyone of it. I'm not pointing fingers or anything but it's something I see happen quite often. For those of us that enjoy reading product reviews or seeing products we might have never seen before, it's on us as a community to offer honest feedback.

With that said, I dont love the hats and have seen them before. I have never worn one so don't know about comfort or anything but maybe just going with the traditional college logo route would be a better choice for them. If a hat is comfortable, I will wear it. What's on the hat obviously has to appeal to my eye but comfort is just as important as design to me.

I love the style of a weathered unstructured hat, but it's just a hat with a state on it.

They can market it as a college hat, but it's a hat with a state.

I love the style of a weathered unstructured hat, but it's just a hat with a state on it.

They can market it as a college hat, but it's a hat with a state.

To be fair though, you have to keep in mind that the vaaaaaaast majority in the states they are releasing will recognize all of the school colors.

I'm gonna hop on a soapbox for a moment so bear with me. Whether you like the hats or dont like the hats or whatever product it is, instead of just saying "I dont like it" how about offering suggestions as to what you dont like about it or what they could possibly improve? Companies send these products to THP to get reviewed and obviously are interested in feedback. What does a company do with "I dont like it but someone else will" ? I am not taking shots at anyone but sometimes we all have to look at the bigger picture. I am as guilty as anyone of it. I'm not pointing fingers or anything but it's something I see happen quite often. For those of us that enjoy reading product reviews or seeing products we might have never seen before, it's on us as a community to offer honest feedback.

With that said, I dont love the hats and have seen them before. I have never worn one so don't know about comfort or anything but maybe just going with the traditional college logo route would be a better choice for them. If a hat is comfortable, I will wear it. What's on the hat obviously has to appeal to my eye but comfort is just as important as design to me.

First off, college logos would need permission from the school or NCAA to embroider and sell. That brings licensing agreements and those can get crazy expensive.

Second, the logo is boring to me. Not much you can do with a state but try something. Puff the logo, put it on the left or right panel of the hat. Make it bigger if going in the center. Add some type of design in the state. Plenty of textures (for lack of a better word) to choose from. Look at what THP did on the last hats inside the ! and you'll get my idea.

The hats now look like something you find in a gas station while on a road trip. That's not a $30 hat to me.

Hope that helps

Back