Wood vs Hybrid? Noob question

I assume they are at the most ten years old. They are custom made. They are TM-IV Strong steel heads on Graman graphite shafts. I found them on golfsticks.tripod.com/index-c2-temp.html.

Try to get some sticks that don't date further back than 2010 to avail of the additional forgiveness of the newer-tech clubs. Also it's best to try before you buy, don't buy on looks and price alone. Golf clubs are an awfully personal selection, so try them out first.

When i was younger and started playing a lot I would tee off with a 4 iron or a 3 wood. I could hit them pretty far, but i liked being in the fairway. Loft is your friend, and play what is comfortable, your game will come to you.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I did. I liked the Driver a lot, but not the hybrids or the irons. I'm lucky in that I have a Golfsmith, a Golf Galaxy and three Dick's around me, so I got to try out a lot of clubs before making up my mind. I also tried the Speedblades, some of the GI Callaways and the Wilson D200 and didn't like either of them either.

So I went and tried the cobras and hit the Zs better then the XL. To my ssurprise I hit the Calloway X series better then all of them. I'm going to have to do some more testing. Had my heart set on the Cobras but now I know.

Still no loft on the ball. I hate those stupid testing mats

Have you had a lesson with a Pro?

I have actually two lessons. He actually "corrected" my swing the first time. I went out and played a par 3 and did decents and got some loft. But after doing his practice routine he gave me, I started to hit the ball fat and battled with trying to correct my swing myself. I went back for the second and he changed my swing completely for the second time. After that I looked like something off a horror film. I have now got my swing back to were it was trying to forget everything he taught me. I rather hit a long line drive then not hit the ball at all.

When I went to test these clubs the guy at the desk was actually a instructor. He gave me some tips while I was swinging that helped me out. I was listening to him talk (never telling him about my experience) about when he teaches, he never really changes the swing he changes other aspects. Like your stance, how far you stand from the ball ect.

I go back to this one vid time and time again. I really think, for me, this is the key to my continued improvement.

good video!

Thanks for the video. I have been practicing a few days. I believe by the weekend I would be able to move from the line to the ball. Did any of you guys try the Mizuno JPX EZ's? They where not in my scope to even look at but the guy in dicks brought them in the range for me to try. They felt really good. Still going to go back a couple of times and try out the clubs again before I make a decision.

I go back to this one vid time and time again. I really think, for me, this is the key to my continued improvement.

You wouldnt happen to have a video like this for hitting a driver would you?

This one is pretty good. I find the Driver a little more challenging, set up wise.

Hybrids were intended to be long iron replacements, but today, they are every bit as much lofted wood replacements.

Five irons used to have 32º of loft. Above them in the iron lineup were 28º four irons, 24º three irons, 21º two irons, and 18º one irons.
Now we see 5-irons at around 25º, and the stronger lofted irons above them are so unhittable for the recreational player that they for the most part no longer exist.

Similarly, the first Taylor Made Pittsburgh Persimmon fairway metals from the early 1980s were as follows:
13º Tour Spoon (they didn't use 2-wood nomenclature for some reason)
17º 3-wood
20º 4-wood
23º 5-wood
25º 6-wood
27.5º 7-wood.

Compare those lofts with modern fairway metalwoods. The new metals are radically stronger lofted.

So it all goes to blur the distinction of whether hybrids are replacing long irons or higher loft fairway woods.

Back