2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diet is so hard with my job! However I am incorporating something into my loooong sits in the cockpit to strengthen my hands, wrists and forearms. I thought some of you might enjoy this piece about grip trainers and a good program to start with them.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson114.htm

Good luck with all your goals this year!

Ended up running a mile and a half today then walking a mile and a half.

It's was cold and freezing rain.

I went 3 weeks working out 3 to 4 times per week and now ... I have a cold. Will have to lay off a few days and it will be like starting over again. Dang I hate colds.

Do the exercises with less weight and strict form. I bet you won't even notice the downtime, and you may get stronger.
I went 3 weeks working out 3 to 4 times per week and now ... I have a cold. Will have to lay off a few days and it will be like starting over again. Dang I hate colds.

I worked out this morning for the first time in many mnay years. I've always been a big guy. Im 6'4" 330lbs. Even when I was in the military, I hovered around 270-275. Anyhow, after smoking a pack a day for 20 years, today is 4 months without a cigarette and the beginning of phase two of my journey. I'm not getting any younger and just want to be healthy...

I worked out this morning for the first time in many mnay years. I've always been a big guy. Im 6'4" 330lbs. Even when I was in the military, I hovered around 270-275. Anyhow, after smoking a pack a day for 20 years, today is 4 months without a cigarette and the beginning of phase two of my journey. I'm not getting any younger and just want to be healthy...

Congrats! I know breaking the cigarette fix can be extremely hard.

After the Advocare 24 day challenge I am down 19.1 pounds. Good jump start but I am still 35-40 pounds away from my goal. Lots of hard work left, but like the start

Got the FitBit Surge and it's been a day now with it. Like it so far.

Congrats on not smoking.

Diet is so hard with my job! However I am incorporating something into my loooong sits in the cockpit to strengthen my hands, wrists and forearms. I thought some of you might enjoy this piece about grip trainers and a good program to start with them.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson114.htm

Good luck with all your goals this year!
The absolutely best grip trainers I know are Chinups, pull-ups, and the deadlift. Especially the deadlift, nothing strengthens the grip like the deadlift

The absolutely best grip trainers I know are Chinups, pull-ups, and the deadlift. Especially the deadlift, nothing strengthens the grip like the deadlift
If you can't hold it, you can't lift it

Man I'm loving this gym. Already noticing improvements in my cardiovascular and toning.

Congrats on quitting smoking! Sounds similar to mine, however I went 30yrs and I'm smoke free since October and I dont miss it, eating healthy, losing weight, and exercising is much harder then quitting smoking!

So, a question on footwear. What would you all recommend to look for in a shoe for the gym. I want to focus on running, but also have something that I can use for some weight work etc. A lightweight runner? More of an overall shoe with good cushioning?

Any suggestions on what I should really be looking for? I currently wear a pair of Solomon trail runners I have had for years, but they are starting to bother me.

I would add to the chinups and pullups bar holds. Just hand from a bar as long as you can for a couple of sets, especially if you cannot do a body weight pullup.

Down 17 lbs now since starting my dietary changes 3 weeks ago. Feels good! Tomorrow I start phase 1 of P90X.

Stretch a lot now. Then stretch a lot after.

So, a question on footwear. What would you all recommend to look for in a shoe for the gym. I want to focus on running, but also have something that I can use for some weight work etc. A lightweight runner? More of an overall shoe with good cushioning?

Any suggestions on what I should really be looking for? I currently wear a pair of Solomon trail runners I have had for years, but they are starting to bother me.

I just find something that is most comfortable for you to run in. I'm using a pair of Puma running shoes that aren't quite minimalist shoes, but pretty close.

Why is it a problem to have more than one pair of shoes for the gym? Get a running shoe and then a proper weight lifting shoe.

In no way or circumstance would I ever recommend lifting weights in running shoes. Unless you're doing biceps curls and tricep kickbacks. Then nothing you're doing matters, and neither do your shoes.

Croosstrainers are your best bet.

Running shoes don't offer you the lateral stability you should have for well rounded workouts. Croosstrainers do and they are good for running short distances (under 3 miles at a time) in.

Croosstrainers are your best bet.

Running shoes don't offer you the lateral stability you should have for well rounded workouts. Croosstrainers do and they are good for running short distances (under 3 miles at a time) in.

That's exactly the opposite of what I was taught by a couple different trainers. Minimalist shoes were recommended above all others for serious compound lifting.

That's exactly the opposite of what I was taught by a couple different trainers. Minimalist shoes were recommended above all others for serious compound lifting.
If you're goal is to move a lot of weight, do compound lifts, or any real serious training these shoes are the best options. They are not running shoes. They are not comfy pillows. They are merely ideal for strength training.

group.jpg

I'm still not sure why it's so insane to have two pairs of shoes. One for conditioning and one for strength training.

If you're goal is to move a lot of weight, do compound lifts, or any real serious training these shoes are the best options. They are not running shoes. They are not comfy pillows. They are merely ideal for strength training.

group.jpg

Because of my back and left leg being fused, I'm never going to be able to do anything considered "moving a lot of weight"...... :beat-up: But I do quite a bit of compound lifts and carries to improve functional strength, so I need a shoe that I can transition between the two in the same workout.

Or I'm just lazy..... Or cheap. One of those three or a combination.

Because of my back and left leg being fused, I'm never going to be able to do anything considered "moving a lot of weight"...... :beat-up: But I do quite a bit of compound lifts and carries to improve functional strength.
Compound lifts like bench presses or chins, nobody needs weight lifting shoes for. But squats, deads, cleans, and snatches proper weightlifting shoes are a must

Or I'm just lazy..... Or cheap. One of those three or a combination.

I will add this, you may be the only thper who has been blown up serving this country (I cannot thank you enough for that). You have some other things to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back