JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What is your go for it range on a par 5? Assuming there is a bit of trouble by the green, maybe a couple of tough bunkers, and missing long is OB. Left or right is not penalty strokes bad, but there are tree issues. What distance do you go for it?

What is your go for it range on a par 5? Assuming there is a bit of trouble by the green, maybe a couple of tough bunkers, and missing long is OB. Left or right is not penalty strokes bad, but there are tree issues. What distance do you go for it?
230-240. I don't layup real often if I am in range. Sometimes it is great sometimes it kills a round

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

As short as it sounds, 215 is about my max!!

If its 260 or under I'm going for it every time, unless there is water in front and its all carry.

220-230 I will pull the Heavenwood and give it a go.

220-240 unless it's all carry.
Go for broke!!

I'd say my 3w range, so 230-240 and only if the trouble doesn't involve forced carries or water hazards. I generally play conservatively and stay away from trouble. I'd rather play safe, wedge close and get my birdie that way.

I'm with Jeremy, unless there's a forced carry in front of the green, anything under 275 yds is green light for my 3w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I have my A or B swing and I'm having an average scoring round, 235 yards which is 4 wood yardage. If I'm a couple shots lower than normal and it's in the middle or late holes of a round, I'm probably laying up with a 9 iron so I have a full LW approach.

When you play courses with greens as small as they are around here, you wouldn't be going for much with the trouble you talk about as there is no way you could get a 3W/5W to hold the green and you would have to be very accurate to run one up to the green

220 - 240 would be my max, especially if there isn't much of a bailout area or if it's all carry

MY HW is too inconsistent to go for it at 220 to 230

no Penalty right I'll try for it up to 210ish

OB on the right then I wont try anything longer than 5I at 195ish

225. Maybe longer if I feel like giving strokes away.

Nothing in front, 250 I'm taking a swipe at it. Other than that I'm trying to get to 90.

Around 255 ish. And then hitting an iron when I top that first one.

it depends what i have to carry. left or right trouble isn't usually a concern, but if i have to launch it and carry it more than 210 i'm probably going to lay up. but if there's no trouble i'm almost always pulling fairway wood.

Nothing in front - 215 with 3W and yell "Run Forrest, Run"

240 and in depending on trouble in landing area or where a mishit might go

The OB long is the scary part. So with that said I'll probably go for it from 235-260, and again from 220 and in.

I have nothing but confidence in my 3 iron so I'll hit to any green within 230 yards.

Anything longer than that I need to start considering hazards, carries, etc.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't like hitting a 3 wood in that situation and will not if I am trying to shoot a score or playing against someone.
That being said, no ob right and I will go for it up to about 215 and play for the front.
If there is ob or water right that distance drops.

Used to be from anywhere because I was an idiot and loved putting up "others". Probably 220 these days I guess. I had 238 to go this morning and pulled 3w. Thought for a minute and swapped it with 6i. Wound up with a full wedge for my 3rd and stuffed it to 4'. Made only birdie of the day. With only 2 of 5 3w shots on average being executed properly by me laying up is the more prudent play.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

it depends what i have to carry. left or right trouble isn't usually a concern, but if i have to launch it and carry it more than 210 i'm probably going to lay up. but if there's no trouble i'm almost always pulling fairway wood.
So you'll be going around "The Pit" this weekend?

bfj2vs.jpg

250 to the middle of the green.

Back