How do you go about trying to improve?

How do you go about trying to improve?

• Total voters

Howzat

I'd Rather Be At The Hideaway
Reaction score
Let's say there is a certain aspect of your game that you really want to improve. Do you lean towards new gear? Lessons and instruction? Self taught practice?Training aids? What is your go to?

Self taught practice and high volume of repetition both on the range and on the course.

I'll always lean towards lessons. me trying to fix something can get dangerous. I'm not talking swing overhaul, but rather have a pro look at my swing and get me back on the right track.

I've tried everything, with mixed results. Two things that made a difference. DST compressor 8 iron, and lessons.

Everything else I tried, may have worked a bit, but lessons and dst compressor are the only things that really changed my game. Fyi, I was shooting North of 100 with a massive slice around 3 years ago, and I beat 80 all the time now, with a baby draw.

Self taught practice and high volume of repetition both on the range and on the course.
^^^^^this^^^^^ I had such a nasty slice that I contemplated giving up the game. I watched a lot of video and improved it substantially. It still rears it's ugly head but it's manageable.

I voted lessons for the simple fact I sometimes have no clue what I'm doing.

Self taught practice mainly, but that it is because there are no single axis golf instructors near me. I do also look to equipment/fitting to help where I believe that could help.

^^^^^this^^^^^ I had such a nasty slice that I contemplated giving up the game. I watched a lot of video and improved it substantially. It still rears it's ugly head but it's manageable.

You better get a lot of self taught practice in before Sunday...

Lessons plus a lot of range time. Been going to the range 2-3 times per week to work on what the instructor is recommending for the past 3 months.

You better get a lot of self taught practice in before Sunday...
Don't you worry bout me. Years of playing Plinko with the trees forced me to learn how to scramble, learn the short game.

I've never had a traditional lesson, meaning one on one with a professional. So self taught practice is what I selected. I've considered lessons, I'm still considering it especially this winter. I have gotten my game in a good place this year as high 70's low 80's is where I live, but I am starting to think maybe lessons is the answer to get me over the hump next season. I want to be looking to shoot par next year, not break just break 80. However, for some reason I have always had the fear of getting completely screwed up.

I think I always go in the exact wrong order. I start with a new club, try to teach myself, maybe grab a training aid, and then finally get a lesson. My best bang for the buck always comes with professional intervention and it would easily save me a lot of time and aggravation to just start there.

Last edited:
My handicap is the lowest it's ever been, and that's been with having essentially the same set of clubs since 2 years ago (except for the fairway wood) and taking lessons. It's been much more cost-effective to go that route instead of buying a bunch of new clubs and trying to figure out my swing on my own.

My handicap is the lowest it's ever been, and that's been with having essentially the same set of clubs since 2 years ago (except for the fairway wood) and taking lessons. It's been much more cost-effective to go that route instead of buying a bunch of new clubs and trying to figure out my swing on my own.

Glad to hear you are playing well my friend.

Lessons. Let the person who knows best work with me.

I got myself to a pretty good handicap by myself but plateaued and went and got lessons. It's amazing what a trained set of eyes can do for a stalled golf game. I haven't been posting personal bests lately but I know my game is more solid and will be better for the long haul.

Wait. Doesn't the new equipment just make me get better?

I wish I had the time to put in to really get better. But I find myself going to the chipping green or putting green or practice traps for a while and improve a bit and then not have the time to keep going.

Practice through repetition on the course. I typically have plenty of opportunity during a round to hit extra balls to work on things.

I enjoy working on improving my game almost as much as the game itself. Now, if only this thing called life doesn't interrupt my golf so much...

If there's a specific area that's really troublesome, I discuss it with my instructor and go to work. I try to avoid my own fixes as much as possible, and any practicing I do will take place after a lesson that addresses the issue.

I was a tinkerer and bought several training aids... it got me to where my swing is just a mess. Have been getting lessons for 7-8 months and finally feel like I am close to my potential.

My advise for everyone, get lessons or get some video and find someone that knows what they are talking about it. 5 minutes know will save countless hours down the road.

Stalled and took lessons two winters ago. Spent the last two seasons tweaking only. Trying ball positions, partial swings. Only tweak one thing at a time. Lately it's driver slice. Got rid of it through a variety of changes but it crept back. Spent a few minutes at the range and tried flattening my swing a little. So far so good. Baby Fade at worst. Straight or baby draw at best. Kept it in the fairway both days.

Taking lessons and have covered many things.
So if it is something we have worked on in the past, I think about what I am doing different, go to the range and work on it til I get it back
If it is not something we have worked on that is the request for the next lesson.

so really a couple of potential answers.

Unfortunately I am a researcher by love of pursuit, so I also do a lot of studying of books and thinking on the outcome so a lot of times my approach has to do with that as well

I'm slowly finding without an extra set of eyes or video of the swing, my body reverts to very bad habits!

Just putting more time into it honestly. The best summer I ever played was when I was able to play the most.

Back