2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally dislike high back squats due to my tiny traps. :D

Even if you have a big yoke, the only way to engage the traps involves pressing up on the bar throughout the movement. Just squeezing your shoulder blades together engages the rhomboids and rear delts, so instead you're shrugging to put muscle in the way of the bar with a high-bar squat...that shrugging motion goes on to affect your spine angle, especially around your neck, and encourages me to look up while I squat. I don't think I've ever had a time spent doing high bar squats where I came away without a sore neck.

Once again I find myself wanting to get back in to shape...I have no idea what that shape is, but I'm not happy and I feel a certain loss of energy. So...with all work and family going on, I need to take small steps to achieve something. The food is a major player in getting into shape, and right now my family is looking at me like some weirdo as I'm eating different food than they are, and the amount of protein I'm stuffing every day is rather ridiculous, but I've done the same routine before, and I know it works. I lost 15 - 17 pounds while mountaineering in Peru for a month, but got every pound back binge drinking and partying at the 5 day wrap party...go figure :D

Winter is the time for me to get back in the game, since summer is mainly golf and bbq.

Even if you have a big yoke, the only way to engage the traps involves pressing up on the bar throughout the movement. Just squeezing your shoulder blades together engages the rhomboids and rear delts, so instead you're shrugging to put muscle in the way of the bar with a high-bar squat...that shrugging motion goes on to affect your spine angle, especially around your neck, and encourages me to look up while I squat. I don't think I've ever had a time spent doing high bar squats where I came away without a sore neck.
*cough* low bar *cough*

*cough* low bar *cough*

Oh, I know. I don't think I've done high-bar squats in the past couple of years aside from doing something like the bear complex.

Back in the gym today. Squats, presses and DL's. I still need a ton of work but I think it was better than last time.

Sorry about the bad camera work. The angles are horrible. Will be better next time

Finished an hour of core work. Nothing is more fun than burpees and planks and oh wait everything is more fun than that.

Finished an hour of core work. Nothing is more fun than burpees and planks and oh wait everything is more fun than that.
Planks are a b*tch lol they're on my list tonight too

Planks are a b*tch lol they're on my list tonight too

They're not bad on their own, but then when you add other movement to them it's like come on man... Stop that. I had a good thing going here with just the basic plank.

They're not bad on their own, but then when you add other movement to them it's like come on man... Stop that. I had a good thing going here with just the basic plank.
I always do mine right at the end of my routine (which is coming up) and my core is just shaking lol

Been sticking with the weight training, feeling better each day.

Back in the gym today. Squats, presses and DL's. I still need a ton of work but I think it was better than last time.

Sorry about the bad camera work. The angles are horrible. Will be better next time

Give me a second. But these are MUCH better. Very good in fact.

Good good good progress. You're very close to being textbook.

Squats:

The bar is still too high. Watching the video on starting strength on bar position for the squat. you've got it a touch too high. get your heals a touch wider. Toes are good, leave them there. This will make you're feet feel more square, that's ok. Also, get deeper. You're high on most reps. Just focus on FEELING depth, it looks like you're anticipating depth.

Deads:

Good. the only thing I see, squeeze your chest up (without dropping your hips) harder. It's going to feel like you're cramping. That's good. You're a touch loose right now. Not a huge deal at these light weights. But it will be a problem as you get heavier, so we're gonna nip it in the bud now. Squeeze up harder. In video, I should see your shirt get horizontal creases in it.

See if you can get deeper with 5# more on the bar.

Deads, add 15# next time you pull.

Good good good progress. You're very close to being textbook.

Squats:

The bar is still too high. Watching the video on starting strength on bar position for the squat. you've got it a touch too high. get your heals a touch wider. Toes are good, leave them there. This will make you're feet feel more square, that's ok. Also, get deeper. You're high on most reps. Just focus on FEELING depth, it looks like you're anticipating depth.

Deads:

Good. the only thing I see, squeeze your chest up (without dropping your hips) harder. It's going to feel like you're cramping. That's good. You're a touch loose right now. Not a huge deal at these light weights. But it will be a problem as you get heavier, so we're gonna nip it in the bud now. Squeeze up harder. In video, I should see your shirt get horizontal creases in it.

See if you can get deeper with 5# more on the bar.

Deads, add 15# next time you pull.

Thanks for the feedback Joe I really appreciate it. As you can see on my squats I am having a hard time getting the bar in the right place. I will try to get it a little lower because that thing was hurting where it was today. I know what you mean about deeper. I actually thought I was where I wanted to be until I watched the video.

Some cardio tomorrow then I am back at it on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback Joe I really appreciate it. As you can see on my squats I am having a hard time getting the bar in the right place. I will try to get it a little lower because that thing was hurting where it was today. I know what you mean about deeper. I actually thought I was where I wanted to be until I watched the video.

Some cardio tomorrow then I am back at it on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, you're anticipating depth. Just not feeling it. just get deeper. It looks like the bar is resting on bone. We need to get it lower. Under the spine of your scapula

Bumped up my deads to 155 for the first time and pulled 3x6 and felt pretty good. Definitely can increase next time and still feel confident. Working out in my house honestly felt kinda weird lol in an awesome way tho. I really felt like I was in a zone, more than usual. How are you guys setting up your phone's? I tried to prop mine up against something to record but the angle was crap. You guys using tripods or something?

Bumped up my deads to 155 for the first time and pulled 3x6 and felt pretty good. Definitely can increase next time and still feel confident. Working out in my house honestly felt kinda weird lol in an awesome way tho. I really felt like I was in a zone, more than usual. How are you guys setting up your phone's? I tried to prop mine up against something to record but the angle was crap. You guys using tripods or something?
I just propped mine up against my water bottle. So jealous of your setup, I'd love to have a power rack in the basement but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

My Otterbox has a nice nice flat aide. Works out well

My Otterbox has a nice nice flat aide. Works out well
Ill have to figure something out. Gotta get some video up for critique.
I just propped mine up against my water bottle. So jealous of your setup, I'd love to have a power rack in the basement but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Thanks man, I definitely got lucky with that guy and I'm really enjoying having it down there. Ill try the water bottle thing haha

If you haven't tried it yet, try doing the "vacuum stomach" while plank, or wherever other an exercise. :D

20 min/2.2 miles on the elliptical, 2x5 squats (finishing a 5x5 from Fri bc the gym closed before I could finish), 5x5 bench, 5x5 rows, 1x5 deadlift. Deadlifts getting tough so I think I'm progressing pretty well. Finished it off with 10 more minutes on the elliptical.

Today I feel like the gym is winning. I'm getting through my sets but I'm dying. The new blu grip is kicking ass on the bench though, feels 1000x better/stronger.

Today I feel like the gym is winning. I'm getting through my sets but I'm dying. The new blu grip is kicking ass on the bench though, feels 1000x better/stronger.
Days like that happen. Power through it. You're running on a serious caloric deficit. It's going to be very hard for the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back