JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
At the range today working on some short game stuff, I was watching a young man hit 75 yard shots at our short game area. It got me thinking about that shot in particular and THP Events and watching the short approaches on par 5s or short par 4s.

So my question to you, is how do you play this shot, assuming it's a standard flat green, maybe a greenside bunker in a typical place, etc. Do you have the ability to play it different ways?

I like to hit my 54* degree here and flight it a touch. I usually get a decent amount of spin. At the Gauntlet I had a shot on 18 the final hole and had way to much spin. I am pretty confident in this distance though.

If it's a course I know or if the fairway ahead and the rough in front of the green look fairly benign, I like to run it up, like a chip. Seems like when I fly it there it typically comes up short, but I'll do it when needed.

This is something I actually practice quite a but never seem to execute effectively. I need some ideas on better technique for sure.

Honestly, I would play it with anything from an 8 iron to my MD3 50* W Grind. Man do I love that club. Since you said flat green etc. I would say the gapper.

JM

This is one of my favorite shots. I like to take my 54* and flight it in there a little low.

Although I think I can play it at least a couple different ways, my first thought is usually to use my 58* PM grind and try to hit it pretty close to the actual distance because with that club it will not usually go from from its pitch mark.

I am awful at this distance. Usually take my 54 and try to get too cute.

Has become my favorite shot now that I've learned to flight it in low. I use typically use my 56*, or sometimes my 52*, depending on what my lie is like and how much spin I want. With the 56*, I'll swing a little harder and get more bite. With the 52*, I can play it a little softer and get more roll.

50* wedge with ball back a touch, weight 60/40 on front foot and swing to 10 o'clock on backswing and 2 o'clock on follow thru

I will always play it with my 58 degree. 3/4 of normal swing for typical ball flight or if I need to bring it in lower, just hood the face a little and move if a little further back in my stance.

Typically I would hit this as an almost full 60 wedge. But recently I have been trying to hit this shot as a knockdown SW. It's a work in progress though.

love hitting this shot. Flight it alittle lower and try and get some spin on it to hit and stop. Normally pretty good to get it to about a 10-15 footer range

9 times out of 10 it is my 54* ... I just feel confident at that yardage with that club.

If the pin is in the middle or back of the green, I will take my 54* wedge and with a lower trajectory get the ball on the green and have it roll to the pin.

Weight forward, ball in the back of the stance, drive in a low spinner with the 60*.

75 yards, I would most of the time grab my 58* and hit a 3/4 shot. Otherwise I could grab my PW and make a 1/3 swing (hands to about waist high) and play it to run out a few yards, or grab a GW and take about a half swing.

Really depends on how I want to flight it and need it to stop, also how much I have been working on those shots as to which I am most comfortable with. Usually it is the 58* because then I can make an aggressive move at the ball without worrying about blasting it over the green.

When I am playing well I am practicing my Pelz wedge swings and could hit any of them with confidence.... been a while since I have had that.

At 75 yards, ill hit a 58 waaay back in my stance and punch it right at the flag, usually a hop, couple short bounces and a check. The shot will be about 15-20 ft high at most.

Cant wait to hear what Ocaroll has to say. This distance crippled us in vegas

I take my 54 degree wedge and play the ball in the middle of my stance. Weight is 60/40 on the front and I turn till my arms reach the 9 o'clock position with a normal swing and follow-though. That will usually produce a shot that flies about 72 yards with a slight roll-out to 75 yards. It is one of my favorite shots in-fact.

I like that distance. There are at least a 1/2 dozen ways I'm comfortable playing that shot depending on other factors. No set club I'd use every time, depends on the specifics.

Choke down on the 54 and like a 3/4 swing normally. Or I like to use my 50 CB choked down, narrow stance, and half swing to hit a lower trajectory shot.

This is the worst distance for me ever.

The safest play is choke down and hit a 1/2 55* wedge but it doesn't usually end up close .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a 56 3/4 swing for me but now with the 54 in the bag I am still figuring this distance out. This takes practice that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a standard 9:00 swing with my 57*. I can manipulate trajectory a bit by moving the ball back or forward.

Back