Does course condition dictate your bag setup?

moosejaa

Mr. Inconsistent
Reaction score
Handicap
For those that might have multiple bag setup options, will the course conditions or weather make a difference in what clubs you put in your bag?

I have 2 sets of irons and since fall golf conditions have been wet and soft I've put the more GI irons in my bag and have been playing my hybrid more than my UT iron.

Not really for me. I just try and get as used to one setup as possible and if I need to hit different shapes/trajectories I try to learn that with that setup. (Operative is "try" LOL)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Other than putter, no. Really don't have any other options to switch out. I will opt for a different putter based on green speeds.

Not really for me. I don't have a lot of extra clubs right now. Maybe at some point I will be able to have the choice.
I could definetly see some benefit from being able to switch clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really. Even when I had a full 2nd bag I wouldn't switch just based on conditions. Staying consistent with equipment, regardless of conditions, has really helped me with consistency.

I'll echo the "not really" replies. I don't want to overthink bag makeup or playing a club just to justify it's place in the bag. That happened when I tried adding a 7 wood for example.

I want something that is ready to go for home courses or on less familiar courses on travel. A wedge setup that is comfortable and versatile (lofts/bounce) is important for that I think.

An exception might be subbing in my old 2Ball putter with the added aluminum face insert if I'm playing this winter on a particular course that sands for drainage, including greens. Just as I'm not as concerned about club wear from grit on that putter.

Last edited:
No, my bag isn't conditions dependent. I just bring what's in there.

It can in some instances.
I might put a low bounce wedge in the bag if I know the bunkers have no sand in them.

Never

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I carry the same 14 all the time.

As I dump my extra gear and have a bag setup I love it doesn't really change much. I did have a point where hybrid woukd come out and a driving iron put in for course layout but the conditions have no influence on my setup.

I not smart/good enough to have a different setup ...

As of right now, i carry the same 14, but I might change my approach however. That being said, since I have a 3 and a 5 wood and both a 1 and 2 iron, it may assist in this process but then again, I'm not really good enough to think like that.

No, bag stays the same. Only thing that changes is spike less vs spikes.

Never change the bag based on the course conditions

Not really. I more or less play a different golf course every month but the 14 in the bag stay the same. Some courses here actually have varied conditions one may expect from different courses, like soft and mushy and tight lie hardpan.

Once in a while I'll change a wedge, but generally the bag is set

No... I do not change my set up no matter what.

No, my bag is pretty set and I hardly remove anything from it, unless I'm playing in a tournament, then I HAVE to take out one club. That's usually one of my wedges.

Nah...not at all.
I don't have 2 full sets, but I almost never swap out clubs.
For me, it would make me less consistent...I think.

I will change up sticks according to certain courses I play or know. But not some much based off of conditions.

I can suck at all course conditions, but I may put my higher bounce 60* in the bag if I know that the course will be softer.

I only change it up for those 2 or 3 weeks in early spring when the course is recently thawed and wet and the fairway grass hasn't started to grow in yet. Every fairway lie is essentially bare over soft wet mud. No way I can play my 3W off that and besides it's set up to run (can't in those conditions) and I always game a 16.5* hybrid that carries about as far. So for those couple weeks I pull the 3W and replace it with a 54* ATV wedge. I can open the ATV and glide it along those tight wet lies more successfully than my heavier/more bounce 56* PM grind. Also the bunkers tend to be packed wet mud at that time of year and again the ATV works better for me then. I keep the PM grind in the bag because it's still a better play out of the dormant rough at that time.

Back