Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

i just bought one and its quite spinny for me. I really do not like this driver, the sound is terrible and my spin numbers rose by about 1100 rpm

i just bought one and its quite spinny for me. I really do not like this driver, the sound is terrible and my spin numbers rose by about 1100 rpm
What setup are you coming from to see 1100 rpm increase? Assuming that is with stock LZ shaft?

I test drove the XR yesterday, this was magical for me with the project x 6.0 shaft. The consistency was there to warrant another test but I really enjoyed this one deeply

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I think I found the right match for me with my XR head. I had a 55 gram prototype UST Helium shaft that played at 46" and could occasionally bomb the thing but really struggled with tempo with the shaft resulting in a lot of horrible drives and penalties on course. I first tried a UST Elements Chrome 6F5T that played at 45.25" and felt that my tempo was much better but I don't think I was loading it well because I was getting lower drives that didn't carry much over 220-230 yards most of the time. I was hitting considerably more fairways with this set up but that may because the ball wasn't traveling as far. I was able to trade it for a UST Elements Chrome 6F4T that plays at 45.5" and am seeing the best of both worlds with it. I'm hitting straighter drives more often and am carrying 250 more often. I can still get quick with my tempo or come up and forward out of the shot with the driver, but when I do close to what I'm supposed to do with my swing I see really good drives. I'm thinking about toying with lead tape to increase the swing weight a hair to see if that helps even more with the tempo.

This club is in timeout for me. I just can't put a quality swing on it anymore without massively hooking it. Also with how well and far I hit my 3 wood I'm not super urgent to get this club going again, but it definitely needs some more practice time at the range.

I'm still having trouble with this one as well. I haven't squared one up on the clubface in quite a few. I think that the shaft length might be messing with my tempo some but who knows. Been using my 5 wood more because that thing is money.

I had to rethink the setup of this club at 45". Cutting off the inch and changing the grip changed the swing weight on me where i couldn't feel the head and bad things were happening. So I picked up Tungsten Tabs to give me the opportunity to feel the club head and my ball striking with the club has been MUCH improved. My last round in Mississippi I hit 9 fairways with it.... Which is greater than the 2 I normally hit. The tungsten Tabs are much better than lead tape in terms of ease of sticking and removing as well IMO.

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/golfworks-rubber-tungsten-swingweight-tape/ss12gwrubbertape

May want to give them a try! Good luck.

This club is in timeout for me. I just can't put a quality swing on it anymore without massively hooking it. Also with how well and far I hit my 3 wood I'm not super urgent to get this club going again, but it definitely needs some more practice time at the range.

I'm still having trouble with this one as well. I haven't squared one up on the clubface in quite a few. I think that the shaft length might be messing with my tempo some but who knows. Been using my 5 wood more because that thing is money.

I had to rethink the setup of this club at 45". Cutting off the inch and changing the grip changed the swing weight on me where i couldn't feel the head and bad things were happening. So I picked up Tungsten Tabs to give me the opportunity to feel the club head and my ball striking with the club has been MUCH improved. My last round in Mississippi I hit 9 fairways with it.... Which is greater than the 2 I normally hit. The tungsten Tabs are much better than lead tape in terms of ease of sticking and removing as well IMO.

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/golfworks-rubber-tungsten-swingweight-tape/ss12gwrubbertape

May want to give them a try! Good luck.
That could work well. Weight is definitely one of the major differences between my 5 wood and the XR.

I've never seen those tabs before but will be giving them a try now before making (semi-)permanent changes. I have access to a swing weight scale so they will be perfect.

I had never seen them before either until I started researching swing weighting a bit. It's a big deal for me since my irons are D5 and my Wedges are D6. I like to feel the weight.

I've never seen those tabs before but will be giving them a try now before making (semi-)permanent changes. I have access to a swing weight scale so they will be perfect.

I had never seen them before either until I started researching swing weighting a bit. It's a big deal for me since my irons are D5 and my Wedges are D6. I like to feel the weight.
Is it common to have a consistent swing weight throughout the bag? I hope that our pro shop has a swing weight scale. This deserves a stronger look

Is it common to have a consistent swing weight throughout the bag? I hope that our pro shop has a swing weight scale. This deserves a stronger look
I'm trying to keep them fairly equal throughout the bag.

My daughter plays this driver and loves it. I took her over to Art Sellenger Power Golf and we cut down the shaft to a manageable length but added weight back into the head, it's been a beast for her. Picked up 12 yards of carry over her G30 SF and is much tighter.

I do have the wedges a bit heavier feeling....This was recommended during my fitting from Club Champion. It's lead to better ball striking and more distance. I now hit my 60* about 95 yards and my 54* about 115 with what feel like smoother swings and better divots.

Would seem to be a smart thing to do. My curiosity is piqued.

I do have the wedges a bit heavier feeling....This was recommended during my fitting from Club Champion. It's lead to better ball striking and more distance. I now hit my 60* about 95 yards and my 54* about 115 with what feel like smoother swings and better divots.
I've always liked heavier wedges so no issue there I don't think. I'm mostly interested in matching my long irons and driver to my hybrid and 5 wood. There is a big difference in swing consistency between the former and latter. The latter are almost automatic. The former, well, not so much.

I've always liked heavier wedges so no issue there I don't think. I'm mostly interested in matching my long irons and driver to my hybrid and 5 wood. There is a big difference in swing consistency between the former and latter. The latter are almost automatic. The former, well, not so much.
Sorry to hear you are having issues with the xr. You were pounding it when we played together. Not sure what changed. I've gone to a 45" driver since and have been having more success. I also play all my clubs around d4 swing weight

Are you playing the 4 and 7 wood at D4?

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the xr. You were pounding it when we played together. Not sure what changed. I've gone to a 45" driver since and have been having more success. I also play all my clubs around d4 swing weight

I guess I should have realized most clubs don't last that long in your bag :p hahaha! swing hard!

I've got the mini bertha at 16° and then 3iron

thanks buddy. I'm not sure what has changed either. I'm hitting everything low on the heel. I suspect that the extra shaft length has something to with it. A timing issue perhaps. Although, I have the same issue with the Oban Devotion so maybe it is a swing weight issue.

Pondering the XR or XR pro, I am leaning on the pro version as I am not quite feeling the crown graphics. Stuck on shaft options as well Rouge silver, handcrafted or handcrafted pro?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back