Anyone else find that the M2 Driver didn't live up to hype?

SoGaDawg

Reaction score
Handicap
14ish
So I stupidly bought a M2 Driver without testing it first to replace my 915 D2 (which I hit just fine). And I was absolutely shocked to find that although forgiving, I lost a bare minimum of 30 yards on my drives. I don't as barely hitting it 200 yards at times. I mean I was absolutely blown away at how short it was. I thought it was the shaft so I changed shafts. Put in a lot of range time with it too and Nope. Still short. So I will be going back to my old Driver.

Anyone else have have this experience?

Also...anyone want to trade a 3 hybrid for a M2 Driver? LOL

It always sucks when a driver doesn't work for you. To lose 30 yards I imagine it's just a really poor fit for you and your golf swing, or maybe you were hitting on the heel side? The M2 is terrible off the heel and the 915d2 is hot off the heel (in my experience).

That's what I thought initially because the shaft is longer than I was used to and when I first got it I was hitting off the heel so it took a few range sessions to adjust. But Yesterday was my last straw with it. Several shots were dead center at the range and it was still barely clearing 200 yards which is my 5 wood length. Just the wrong driver for me I guess. The head is lighter than the 925d2 and I think my swing benefits from a heavier head. Just disappointed in myself for blowing the money really lol.

It's all about how the design fits you and your swing with any of them. There are several drivers that many THPers absolutely rave about that just don't fit me well, too. As for M2 specifically, it ranks right around #10 of the 56 drivers of done extensive testing on. Interesting (I guess?) is that the club it replaced in the TM lineup (Aeroburner) sits right down near the bottom for me so I expected very little from M2. M2 isn't a bad driver, just a bad fit for you. See if you can swap it with another THPer who has a club you think better suits you.

Last edited:
Actually, I found it to be one of the best drivers I have ever owned!!

To lose 30 yards is borderline absurd. I'd look to see if the driver isn't damaged if you're hitting the two drivers back to back in comparison. No driver should be that far off, let along one of the better offerings out there for a good amount of people. Not to say you're wrong, just thinking out loud that it's worrisome to me if the club isn't damaged or faulty from factory.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

It was absolutely a terrible driver for me. Distance wasn't a factor but I couldn't find a fairway to save my life.

Other than a heel shot I have not seen any distance issues with m2 playing two different shafts in it. It's one of the better drivers I've played on the last few years.

M2 was not as good for me as my 915 either. It was about 5 yards longer but all over the place for me. To lose 30yrds something must be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Did you loft up ?
The last few years Taylormade drivers have been lower spin with a weight forward design. Thus they launch lower.

For example I game a Ping G 10.5 and demod an M2 on the range today. The M2 was a 12* head and I'd argue it still flew lower than my 10.5* Ping.

LOFT Up and try it again.

I tried it a few times and it was really bad for me

I started mid summer with he M 2 after seeing a playing partner hit bombs with it ... i was astounded on the distance he was getting so i bought one 10 1/2 loft and reshafted it with a after market senior flex project x shaft and the driver was long and forgiving and as a experiment i lofted up to 11 1/2 and the driver flew straighter with no distance loss .so i normally change drivers often but i played the M 2 all season i probably wont change .. but the driver being a dud .... no one i had talked to thought that

That is interesting that your results were so poor with it. I don't have one in the bag, but from my testing with it, I thought it was a good club.

Try this Taylormade Driver instead...chances are you'll love it as much as I do!...:love:...See pics below!

* Long, straight, super-forgiving, and solid feeling!

* No need to loft up! Try the 9.5* first!

* Redesigned in 2015 for more forgiveness, the SLDR-C (Classic) driver clubhead was announced AFTER the R15 and AeroBurner, (but before the current M-Family).

* A 'speed Pocket' replaced the slider mechanism just as with the M2, and the new-for-2015 gloss black color looks great!

* Bonded hosel, so no excess weight on the heel side of the SLDR-C clubhead. (No directional bias whatsoever).

'Classic' driver clubhead plays like an updated R580XD-TP, but with a lower spin spin rate for more distance.

* I always recommend being fitted for a shaft. (I have a Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s shaft in mine).

* Don't spend more $$$ to get less performance in return...This one just works! No gimmicks required!

* Still available brand new in both RH and LH and in lofts of 9.5*, 10.5* or 12*. (Super-bargain closeout prices!)

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SLDR-C Driver.jpg
    SLDR-C Driver.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • kusala.jpg
    kusala.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SLDR-C clubface.jpg
    SLDR-C clubface.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 0
  • sldr-cCrown3.jpg
    sldr-cCrown3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Do you know whether you are a low spin player? I am, so some of the latest drivers are terrible fits for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like others have said, the M2 produces much less spin than the 915 D2 (which is known to spin too much for a lot of golfers). So you can try lofting up and if that doesn't work you likely need a head that generates more spin.

Not every club fits everyone, and thats ok!

The M2 is a solid driver, but it's a lower spinning head and isn't the most forgiving laterally. Because of that, it's all about what the individual needs, and lofting up may not be the answer.

Today, many chase the lowest spin possible because of buzz words and such, but, a little spin can be a good thing for a lot of people.

Not every club fits everyone, and thats ok!

The M2 is a solid driver, but it's a lower spinning head and isn't the most forgiving laterally. Because of that, it's all about what the individual needs, and lofting up may not be the answer.

I agree. For me among all the clubs I think the driver needs fitting the most.

I never got to try the M2 because I tried the M1 and was happy with it. You might want to try the M1. I did hit the M1 head to head with the 915D2, for me the M1 was longer and more forgiving.

Try this Taylormade Driver instead...chances are you'll love it as much as I do!...:love:

stop posting everywhere about your piece of crap bargain rebadged sldr driver in every thread that remotely mentions a driver or taylormade. It's quite annoying and no one cares at this point.

like do you have an online store or something that only sells those drivers and you want to get rid of them? Because that's how it feels at this point

To lose 30 yards is borderline absurd. I'd look to see if the driver isn't damaged if you're hitting the two drivers back to back in comparison. No driver should be that far off, let along one of the better offerings out there for a good amount of people. Not to say you're wrong, just thinking out loud that it's worrisome to me if the club isn't damaged or faulty from factory.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's that absurd. I saw a difference of 30 yards between some drivers when I was testing them, and a different shaft in the exact same head has produced a difference of 30 yards for me.

although they never did drop so far that my driver was only going 5 wood distance which is weird.

stop posting everywhere about your piece of crap bargain sldr-c driver. It's quite annoying and no one cares at this point.

Sounds like you're upset because you paid too much for something that provides less in terms of overall performance..:D

Newsflash: There is no direct relationship between price and performance!

The best performance comes from having an excellent 'blend' of distance, accuracy, and forgiveness. All (3) attributes are needed for maximum consistency off the tee!

Measure driver performance by which one most increases your average driver distance AND your percentage of fairways hit!

Not everyone likes the M-Family, and you don't speak for the entire community here Renren89.

For many of us, a more forgiving SLDR Driver is a beautiful thing! That being said, you should always play with what works best for you!

Hint: For the vast majority here, it won't be the most expensive driver you could possibly buy!

Attachments

• sldrcrown2.jpg
    sldrcrown2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My only experience has been while demoing on a monitor so take that for what it is, but it just didn't jive with me. I hit the M1 a lot better.

I did not like the feel of the m series drivers during a demo day. Took all of about 10 swings to see that this was not for me. While the distance was there, maybe a few yards shorter then my ping g30. I was all over the place, nothing to severe. Differant strokes for differant folks.

I have spoken to a couple of people that own this driver, and they have indicated it is one of the most shaft dependant drivers they have owned. Get the right match and it's a beast, get the wrong match and you might has well hit an iron off the tee.
I hit it a few times at a local shop and the numbers were no better then my GBB, so never considered changing it.

It didn't work for me & I really wanted it to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back