Chump Fries

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Handicap
Chump Fries is back homies (busy busy life these days)! Anyway, I'm headed to Miami the first week of February for a software conference.

First I need a golf course recommendation. I'm heavily considering Doral but I don't really want to drop 4 bills on a course and there's always a chance someone will blow the place up so I'm looking for somewhere else to play.

I'll be staying up in Ft. Lauderdale. If anyone is familiar with the area, I'd love some restaurant recommendations.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's about an hour from you but I highly recommend PGA National

If you don't want to travel that far I have a few recs. In Miami Dade County I believe Crandon is your best bang for the buck. Great views, plenty of tropical wildlife and tough course. Doral courses usually in good shape but I don't find them worth the prices they charge particularly in season. Up in Broward, where you are staying, check out the Jacaranda courses or The Diplomat.

I'm not opposed to any travel. I have the entire day to kill when I get there and I'll only get to play that day.

I'll still check these out in case any are close to the conference. It's at Nova Southeastern.

If you like old school Italian food then Anthony's Runway 84 on State road 84 is a local legend, I love the food and the place is a hoot. I have been in there when Dan Marino was there and normally some pro baseball players hanging around. The crowd is older and it is pricey.
Also just down the road (on 84) to the west of Runway 84 is The Old Heidelberg, this is a traditional German place with great beer and food at a reasonable price. This is our go to bar for after work meetings, nice and cool and the music (german) is keep at a talking level. Depending on where you are staying both of these places are easy to get too being juat north of the Airport.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If you like old school Italian food then Anthony's Runway 84 on State road 84 is a local legend, I love the food and the place is a hoot. I have been in there when Dan Marino was there and normally some pro baseball players hanging around. The crowd is older and it is pricey.
Also just down the road (on 84) to the west of Runway 84 is The Old Heidelberg, this is a traditional German place with great beer and food at a reasonable price. This is our go to bar for after work meetings, nice and cool and the music (german) is keep at a talking level. Depending on where you are staying both of these places are easy to get too being juat north of the Airport.

I'll definitely checkout Anthony's. I'm a huge fan of local Italian places.

Was just in Lauderdale two weeks ago, went to Anthony's twice, love that place and go every year. I usually get the "Italian Feast" which gives it a variety of things. I always end up eating left overs for days. Each meal comes with muscles and salad so bring your appetite.

I also enjoy Rocco's Taco's on Los Olas Blvd, love their guac and a huge fan of their Molcajete Carne, was one of my favorite meals there. If you're looking for a cheaper lunch spot, they have a Promanti Brothers as well, I usually get the Pastrami from there.

Far as golf goes, I've heard great things about Jacaranda.

The stuffed Artichoke is amazing, it is not on the menu you have to ask if they have them that night. They also have a shrimp cocktail you order by the shrimp they are prawns and might be 3-4 to a pound they are huge and fantastic.

I have had most everything on the menu and have never been disappointed, it is a place that can be real hard to get into with a group, I always go with a customer or two and we sit in the Bar which is real cool and looks like the inside of a old plane. But beware it is pricey and it is easy to spend some serious dollars if you try a lot of different things. I have had $400-$600 bills for 2-3 people, but that includes a LOT of drinks and the high end plates and appetizers.

You should hit Canes up or John. These two are great dudes and can put you on the right track.

You should hit Canes up or John. These two are great dudes and can put you on the right track.

Will do. I'll know more about my schedule in January and planned to see if any local THPers wanted to join me for a round or maybe dinner/drinks one night.

Will do. I'll know more about my schedule in January and planned to see if any local THPers wanted to join me for a round or maybe dinner/drinks one night.
Let me know when you have the dates and we'll get a group out with Xman and Hbirdman80.... Maybe we can get jhstew1 to leave Palm Beach lol

Let me know when you have the dates and we'll get a group out with Xman and Hbirdman80.... Maybe we can get jhstew1 to leave Palm Beach lol

Sounds good. My one day for golf will be Jan 31. My flight arrives at 10:30 AM, so pretty much anything in the afternoon works for me.

I fly out Jan 3 at night, so dinner options are pretty open. I don't know yet exactly which nights will have conference related meals and will know more about that later on.

Depending on the dates and if you need a 4th or 6th I might come down. Can get a round in a still do some Business.

If I'm able I'll come down and play

Don't know much about the courses or the area for that matter, but give me a shout when you are headed this way. Will definitely join up with you.
I've only been in the area since last January, commuting, and most of my time off I fly back to Texas.

I liked playing the Biltmore course but I don't know what it will cost ya.

I'm sure will get you settled in down here dude. If Freddy and Jim come down too maybe we'll get a little outing going. Nontheless whatever I can help you with feel free to ask

Golf course wise, all previously mentioned are solid, Jacaranda is one of my favorites. PGA National is also a beauty.
Food wise the rustic inn crab house is a great spot for some sea food, for whatever type of cuisine you want I can pretty much give you a restaurant or two just let me know.

Hey everyone, my trip to Miami is next week. I'd love to get a round together with anyone available at Jacaranda sometime in the afternoon on Jan 31 (my flight into Miami lands around 10:30 and my hotel is less than a mile from the golf course).

Hey everyone, my trip to Miami is next week. I'd love to get a round together with anyone available at Jacaranda sometime in the afternoon on Jan 31 (my flight into Miami lands around 10:30 and my hotel is less than a mile from the golf course).

Awesome man. Let me see what I can swing for next Tuesday

Wish I could, but my schedule at work changes next week and I'll be working Tuesday afternoon.
Hope you enjoy yourself while here.

What time are you thinking? I have to be in Ft Lauderdale for an event in the evening but could do something before that.

What time are you thinking? I have to be in Ft Lauderdale for an event in the evening but could do something before that.

I'd say 1:30-2:00 to be on the safe side. I don't know enough about Miami traffic and the airport to know how long it'll take me (after landing at 10:30) to get my bags/rental car and drive up to Plantation.

I'd say 1:30-2:00 to be on the safe side. I don't know enough about Miami traffic and the airport to know how long it'll take me (after landing at 10:30) to get my bags/rental car and drive up to Plantation.

Miami traffic will destroy your soul.

Miami traffic will destroy your soul.

I was in LA last week during record rainfall...Miami should be cake after that. The LA drivers in the rain were like southern drivers when it snows.

Back