The Home Theater Thread

Nice..
It really is nice having multiple screens.

I don't have a dedicated home theater room (yet) and I have what I would call a modest setup.

Consists of a new 49 inch LG Ultra 4k tv, which I love. Yes there is not much content available yet, but I am betting there will be in the future. For now, the upscaling works great. LG's never have enough HDMI ports, but I use my receiver as a passthru and use the ARC for the TV, so I can get around that.

The receiver is a Marantz 1504, great little receiver with a million HDMI ports. The speakers are mostly Polk Audio, 2 floor model fronts, a center speaker and subwoofer and 2 old Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers for the backs. I may upgrade to a new Marantz soon as the newer versions support 4k passthru.

For content I have DirecTV, a Sony Blue Ray player and a Roku 3.

Not the most expensive system, but it suits my needs well.

Last edited:
I added an SVS SB-13 Ultra to my system recently and the amount of clean bass it can reproduce is fantastic. The only problem is beer glass are not longer immune from getting rattled off the top of the kegerator or the coffee table.

http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sb13-ultra-subwoofer

View attachment 16824View attachment 16823

I've been upgrading my home theater sound equipment this year. I've got a man cave with a Panasonic 65" V series plasma, Magnepan 1.7's, SVS subwoofer, Emotiva XMC-1 Processor, Emotiva XPA-5 amp, and Oppo 103D DVD. I'm more into the sound system for music/concerts than I am the video aspect of the system but when the 4K projectors come down in price I may get one. My next upgrade is going to be a new subwoofer but I'm still undecided on which one I'm going to buy. Those Magnepan's on the floor are 65" tall and along with the ceiling speakers and Pioneer Elite center that is mounted in the wall below the TV can really create a concert like environment. And yes, almost the entire floor is covered in putting green turf. I have now have plenty of opportunity to practice my putting.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I did a major upgrade to my basement theater this week. It started as me replacing my 15+ year old Integra receiver that started having issues with rear channels. Plus it doesn't even have HDMI and was around well before all the different audio formats rolled out. I replaced that with a Denon AVR 7200WA receiver since it has everything I need for futureproofing for the next several - no intentions of replacing it for at least a decade.

Since the receiver supported 9+ channels of surround sound and 2 subs, I added 4 more surround speakers and a second sub.

Finally, I upgraded the 50" plasma to a 65" LG OLED tv. Unfortunately the first one I got had a bad bluetooth receiver, but it was swapped out today with a new tv so I'm happy.

I'm digging this setup and cannot wait to watch a movie that supports Dobly Atmos as i'm all set up with 7.2.2 surround.

Before Pics (excuse the mess):
113C4C1B-8C7E-486D-99B3-A278D5AA1BB3_zpsfjziicj1.jpg

26AF2813-8A08-48D4-9586-8735799ABB4D_zpsg3tabs1c.jpg

New Setup:
BB81B66E-6834-4ABC-95D5-EED6B43402BC_zpsax45dzig.jpg

8A05837C-4899-4D12-A078-889FDB3B6F3F_zpsagwkkubf.jpg

DA2AEF83-8C69-4074-BBD0-3DB46C1AEC04_zpso8u66hz8.jpg

36ED5B63-89AB-44C6-9CAA-D68F30EDCA5C_zpsaadr2chw.jpg

Been meaning to post this.
When we purchased our house, it came with a home theater in the basement, surrounded sound, etc.

Just need to get an AV box so I can watch golf on it.

46aab50fd3b4321389081257c34ac0c5.jpg

62242a36e39c1f5ec30d2891bca02694.jpg

2b46431e9d04357bfa7b0f40b273028a.jpg

Been meaning to post this.
When we purchased our house, it came with a home theater in the basement, surrounded sound, etc.

Just need to get an AV box so I can watch golf on it.

46aab50fd3b4321389081257c34ac0c5.jpg

62242a36e39c1f5ec30d2891bca02694.jpg

2b46431e9d04357bfa7b0f40b273028a.jpg

Nice! I've thought about doing something like that in my basement. I have the wall area to do so, just a matter of a little refiguring of the space. Still a ways off though.

Nice projector! Love the realism that a projector provides with an 85+ inch screen. I'm contemplating it for my man cave now that the prices on the 4k projectors are coming down.

Looking good guys.
Love a front PJ. When we switched to the 3 screen, I gave my projector to hashtag and know that in the next house I will want to go that route again at some point.

With something like this, we rarely go to the theater. Just need to set up streaming from my media pc and I'm golden.

Nice setups guys.

I'll play along and show you mine. It's a dedicated home theatre room which is still under construction so please excuse the mess. For soundproofing purposes I'm building a room within a room so the inner room doesn't touch the outer room. The equipment rack is presently in the theatre room, but it will eventually be moved to equipment room immediately behind the theatre room.

With the lights off
D7K_6596_zpslrh57lyi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

With the lights on
D7K_6617_zpsslr7olo1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
D7K_6619_zpsrdutllsh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
D7K_6621_zpsjcobqpzy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
A few putters I'm working with
D7K_6618_zpswsz2jwyi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The Rack
D7K_6606_zpsuvbhcwdh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
D7K_6624_zpskrgajj50.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Behind the screen
D7K_6631_zpsxnpqsgsq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
D7K_6615_zpsvftgrqix.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
D7K_6623_zpsute0ilsb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Room within a room framing
D7K_6626_zpsddrreh2s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
D7K_6628_zps06arrf5e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice room there

That's incredible, just wow.

2Bad4u. I'm drooling. When we move in 18 months I'm hoping we will have space to build a dedicated HT like that. Unfortunately the builders around us were not planning for home theaters in the 100 year old homes around us.

Which integra receiver are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2Bad4u. I'm drooling. When we move in 18 months I'm hoping we will have space to build a dedicated HT like that. Unfortunately the builders around us were not planning for home theaters in the 100 year old homes around us.

That's my biggest issue. We like older homes a lot of times and it's hard to find rooms necessary so we had to adapt this time.

That's my biggest issue. We like older homes a lot of times and it's hard to find rooms necessary so we had to adapt this time.

We looked at digging out the basement and crawl space in our current down another 3 feet to give us 9' ceilings in the basement as part of a major renovation. Unfortunately our house would have wound up way out of the price range of the neighborhood so we will be moving.

However the next house will get a dug out basement if it's too shallow for function.

Hats good news. We don't get the basement option here in FL because we would be under water.

⛵

Hats good news. We don't get the basement option here in FL because we would be under water.

⛵

That's the one good thing about the Midwest - basements.

Next house will have basement tall enough for a sim and a full home theater. Since we'll never move south I need something as a concession. I figure playing/practicing in the winter should be ok.

Presently running 7.2 on the Integra DHC-80.3 Pre-Pro but will probably be upgrading it to support Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 system. Still haven't heard an Atmos system yet but the "voice of god" speakers sounds intreaging. That's one of the reasons the theatre room is still unfinished, have to get those VOG speakers in the ceiling first.

Have had good experiences with the Integra line of equipment so the new DHC-80.6 may be in cards down the road. From a price/performance/features perspective Integras pretty tough to beat.

Getting the right space is always a problem and with older homes its even more difficult.

We looked at digging out the basement and crawl space in our current down another 3 feet to give us 9' ceilings in the basement as part of a major renovation. Unfortunately our house would have wound up way out of the price range of the neighborhood so we will be moving.

However the next house will get a dug out basement if it's too shallow for function.

Using your basement is typically your best solution especially for dedicated theatre rooms. We custom built our home so I made sure that the theatre room was a priority. The room is 19'x30'x9'4" so there's plenty of space for a riser when its all done.

Sounds like Florida would be a major challenge. We have a saltwater waterfront lot but before purchasing the property we had an excavator come in and dig down about 11' where the basement would be going. It was dry as a bone so the deal was done. We did however put in some industrial waste pumps in just in case of a major storm surge. Better safe than sorry.

just recently purchased my first projector setup.
since this is my first go at a home theater setup, i opted for a lesser model, then once i get all equipment needed will get a higher quality projector.

picked up an Optoma HD141x 1080p 3D DLP projector, unfortunately for me right after ordering this it went on sale on Amazon (just my luck haha)
also ordered a motorized 120" screen and standard ceiling mount.

currently it is used as a movie, TV and video game screen (Xbox One) screen is very crisp, even in a large window room as my basement is.
recommended for those looking to get into the home theater setup with not spending much money (now that it is on sale)

currently my next step is to start looking for seating, having decided if i will go with individual recliners or one big massive comfy couch!

Post some pics when its setup.

Good stuff there and bring on those pics.

Back