Knuth High Heat Driver Review

For the amateur golfer, I think its overthought. The average golfer (lets say handicap from 8 to 18), can have spin change upwards of 3000 rpms per swing and up to 1200 rpms on good contact swings. But its an easy number to see and understand, so it becomes a topic of buzz rather than the rest of the scenario.
I would agree with that and I guess that is what I was trying to get at. Spin is easily seen but only one part of the equation.

When I done the online fitting it recomended 12* head Magnum 44 A flex shaft, I am currently using a Cleveland 588 Altitude 12* head stock 50 gram Matrix Radix A flex shaft, I looked up the MOI figures and there isn't much difference there. As I am living in Australia I don't get the money back option and I'm not sure if there would be a big difference between them.

When I done the online fitting it recomended 12* head Magnum 44 A flex shaft, I am currently using a Cleveland 588 Altitude 12* head stock 50 gram Matrix Radix A flex shaft, I looked up the MOI figures and there isn't much difference there. As I am living in Australia I don't get the money back option and I'm not sure if there would be a big difference between them.

They are really different drivers in my opinion. Look, sound, feel and setup are all very different.

They are really different drivers in my opinion. Look, sound, feel and setup are all very different.

BUt would the results I get with it be better than the Altitude that is the question.

BUt would the results I get with it be better than the Altitude that is the question.

That is virtually impossible to say without seeing you swing, supplying some numbers, etc. I found it more forgiving. I love the mirrored face. I think during testing most found it an extremely forgiving driver, based on FlightScope testing.

Another round in the books today with the Knuth and nothing but bombs all day for me with it.

f3fb11503fa4df232e9888ef3447ece2.jpg

ebb8c12342ff9ea02b64433640b7bc8c.jpg

2cc454669df008878ac830f643e76d4d.jpg

e8c6871927dbd950b4e6e387e8442f46.jpg

I'm playing again Friday and using only the Knuth then putting the BBA 815 back in the bag to compare on course results after Friday for a few rounds.

Unfortunately for me the local place I used to rent LM time at has gone out of business so PT 2 is on hold for now until I find another place that will let me use a LM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knuth High Heat Driver Review

Another round in the books today with the Knuth and nothing but bombs all day for me with it.

f3fb11503fa4df232e9888ef3447ece2.jpg

ebb8c12342ff9ea02b64433640b7bc8c.jpg

2cc454669df008878ac830f643e76d4d.jpg

e8c6871927dbd950b4e6e387e8442f46.jpg

I'm playing again Friday and using only the Knuth then putting the BBA 815 back in the bag to compare on course results after Friday for a few rounds.

Unfortunately for me the local place I used to rent LM time at has gone out of business so PT 2 is on hold for now until I find another place that will let me use a LM.

Those are some solid numbers with the high heat. I'm curious how the BBA holds up against it.

Off topic: As far as the place that did LM renting, I'm assuming you mean Tampa Golf? If so, you might want to google Snap and then brace yourself :/

Those are some solid numbers with the high heat. I'm curious how the BBA holds up against it.

Off topic: As far as the place that did LM renting, I'm assuming you mean Tampa Golf? If so, you might want to google Snap and then brace yourself :/

I think the comparison is going to be close one in total distance.

The place I was using is Fore Seasons golf in St Pete/Clearwater area.

I think the comparison is going to be close one in total distance.

The place I was using is Fore Seasons golf in St Pete/Clearwater area.

Oh man, there's two places down then.

I agree, I bet the numbers are close

Is this more forgiving than the Cobra Fly-Z XL?

Is this more forgiving than the Cobra Fly-Z XL?

Different.
I think it offers more forgiveness laterally than that of the XL, but part of that will depend on miss with swing path. The XL has a larger amount of offset (at least from looking at both) that lends itself to help a golfer get squared up if they are coming through open.

This was at the range yesterday for the final stage of a demo with some strangers. The overall consensus is crazy forgiving, long and high and a sound that is too loud and metallic. We will have more in a new thread coming very soon.

Saw one of these in the wild today (on the course) and it is distinctive both in look and sound.

Guy in the 4some in front of me had one and I thought it was a Knuth from the mirror face but as I was a ways a way I couldn't confirm it until he hit the ball.

The sound clinched it, loud and metallic, but wouldn't keep me from playing it.

Nice. Its definitely solid.

I'm bumping this older thread as I just received a 12* R Flex Knuth High Heat courtesy of THP, thanks to winning League 2 in fantasy football. I know a lot of people have been curious about this driver and I wanted to give my high-handicapper's input on how it performs. I'm coming from a 910 D2 that honestly gave me the most confidence I've ever had with a driver in the 4 years I've been playing.

First of all, the noise at impact definitely is loud. There's no way around that. I was hitting in covered bays, and I most definitely turned some heads when I started swinging it.

I really love the look of the crown, it definitely helps to line up the face with the ball, and it just flat out looks nice. I know some people have commented negatively about the look of the sole, but honestly the only time you see that is when you first take the headcover off, and that's it.

The chromed face is absolutely helpful to see where you're making contact, and it does wipe off easily. I do, however, worry about marking it up with the typical range balls to be honest. We'll have to see how that works out.

Performance wise, I struggled a bit with this driver at first. I'm used to having adjustable drivers that I can tune into my swing, so I really needed to concentrate on making a controlled swing and thinking about why my hands were doing in the downswing. My first 4-5 shots with it were high fades that calmed down when I moved ball position up a bit in my stance to give me more time to square the face. But once I started making a nice easy swing, this thing came to life with a nice straight (for me) trajectory that started out low before climbing up.

By the time I was more comfortable with it, I was hitting the balls either straight or with a slight pull draw (and that's on me, not the club). I really can't comment on distance given the time of year and the condition of the balls, but I'm more concerned with hitting straight vs. bombing it.

All in all, it performs nicely and I'm going to swap out the grip to my preferred mid-size to see if that helps any with my comfort level. I will say though... that sound? LOUD. It was a while before I stopped cringing when I hit the ball. But I'll take it if my tee game works for me this season. Next time out I'm going to A/B it with my Titleist, hopefully I'll be on a sim soon that'll allow me to post some exact numbers.

Good stuff Russ. You are right, its quite loud.

Good stuff Russ. You are right, its quite loud.

It really is. My first "real" driver was a King Cobra LD Speed, and the Knuth gives that one a run for its money with the sound at impact.

It really is. My first "real" driver was a King Cobra LD Speed, and the Knuth gives that one a run for its money with the sound at impact.

I'll bring ear plugs to our next round...

So I used the High Heat driver for a few weeks and had very good results. Went back to my Callaway XR16 and used it for the last few weeks and found it to be:

- taxing (difficult to get the club face closed)
- unreliable (sometimes I'd hit it right, sometime left)
- shorter than the High Heat

So, today I put the High Heat back in my bag and went to the driving range. A couple of hits later and it just felt solid. Longer than the XR16 and much less taxing. I found that I was really able to get my weight behind the High Heat where I find it really hard to do that with the XR16. Could it be that the fact that the High Heat is an inch shorter? Actually, I usually choke up on the XR16 and inch or two to compensate for the extra length.

After just a dozen or so hits with the High Heat, I'm keeping it in the bag. It's just too easy to stay consistent with it while I really struggled with the XR16.

Yes, the sound is loud and tinny but the results are worth it.

Totally agreed on the point you made about swinging it - when you put a good easy swing on it, the Knuth really performs. I've got it figured out for my swing now as far as ball position and how to swing it, trying to kill the ball won't work with this club like it does with some other ones.

But that sound... I just don't like it. There's no other way around it. I've gotten used to heads whipping around at me at the range when I first pull it out of the bag.

Yesterday's round was very windy, a lot of the tee boxes had been moved up to compensate for it as we were hitting into the wind a LOT. We all took more club off the tee than normal, and given that I'm a short knocker I pulled the High Heat far more than I normally would have. I teed up a hair lower than normal and just let 'er rip all day. The result?

12/14 fairways.

The two that I missed were both within a few feet of the fairway, one left and one right. I was astounded to see my stats at the end of the round.

Funky sound or not, this one's staying in my bag for a while.

Back