Narrow stance with driver

antgonz

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been struggling with the driver for some time now. My irons for the most part are solid however I have a tendency to come over the top and lose it left. I do my best to control the lefts. My irons and hybrids don't wreck my round as bad as the driver. The driver I am sure is an exaggerated view of issues that lead my irons to come over the top. However I made an observation the other day at the range. If I narrow my stance my contact with the driver greatly improved an overall accuracy is greatly improved. Distance is not great but more than adequate. Can someone help explain why/how this is possible? I tried the narrow stance because I always feel off balance with driver. I am just trying to see if I can find the cause maybe I can keep the accuracy and get some distance back. Thanks in advance

A narrow stance should be limiting your swing. This means it's more compact and less likely to get off plane. You also have to swing easier in order to maintain balance. So a narrow stance has basically made you swing easier

Those are good possibilities. It's also possible you have a sway, or reverse pivot with your wider stance. You may have a tendency to stand up or dive into the ball during the downswing. A narrow stance limits how far you can sway and forces you to be more balanced. Otherwise you'd fall down. It's also possible, you've moved your ball position relative to your front foot. There are a lot of possibilities. These are a few to add to the list.

Thanks for your replies. Both have very interesting points. I really appreciate your response.

Back