Totally Cool Phillips SceneSwitch - 3 Color Temperatures in One LED Bulb

Reframmellator

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just installed four of these in our main bathroom and they are pretty nifty. The 40 second video demonstrates what it does.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...eneSwitch-A19-LED-Light-Bulb-464867/207053953

If you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and/or live in northern latitudes with short winter days, your doctor may tell you to get outside for 15-20 minutes in midday to get the brain benefits of full spectrum sunlight. Or, the doc may suggest you put daylight bulbs in your main bath or bedroom to get something of the same effect.

But if you have sleep issues, blue-spectrum or daylight type lights are to be avoided in the 30-60 minutes before bedtime, because it tricks the brain into thinking it's midday. That's why there are programs and apps that shift device screens to a more yellowish cast, and iOS has Night Shift, which allows you to customize and automate that yellow shift.

The SceneSwitch provides both daylight and late-night settings in a single bulb. It cycles among three settings by turning the light switch off and on:

Soft White: 800 lumens, 2700K color temperature - a common household light temperature
Daylight: 800 lumens, 5000K
Warm Glow: 80 lumens, 2200K - a more yellow, lower output setting

The bulb remembers its last settting, so if you've set it for Warm Glow before bed, it will come on at that low level when you get up in the middle of the night for whatever.

The only downsides are that it comes only in a 60W equivalent output, and it is non-dimmable. At $8.97 at Home Depot, its price is in the middle of comparable 800 lumen offerings from GE, Phillips, and Cree. Expected life is almost 14 years at 3 hrs/day.

This looks pretty awesome. I immediately thought about the different bulbs that we use at work for looking at colors, but I could give this a try for the seasonal and sleep benefits since I suck at winter and sleeping.

Working in electrical sales I know we can order these bulbs but had no clue people suffered from seasonal affective disorder.

I could give this a try for the seasonal and sleep benefits since I suck at winter and sleeping.

I know, right? That describes my wife, and she is really jazzed about trying this out.

Working in electrical sales I know we can order these bulbs but had no clue people suffered from seasonal affective disorder.

It's very much a northern thing, with much shorter days and people not getting outside as much as in the warmer months.

Back