What would you do? - Club Championship

Faiz

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

So I'm currently playing in the Club Championship, it's fairly simple with 16 qualifiers and 8 per side.
Scratch handicap matchplay.

I spanked my first opponent 6 & 5 and was scheduled to play my quarter final this sunday.
The quarter final dead line is this sunday so it's the last possible day.

My opponent just called me claiming he's injured and he wants to play on Tuesday.
He say's he got injured on the 5th hole of his first round match but he still won 3 & 2.

My friends dad played with his this week and say's he played rubbish and that he's a bit of a character who might be looking to get his game back before the match.

The rules state that the match must be played by the dead line unless allowed by the officials under special circumstances.

What would you do?
Would you agree, would you state that the match must be played on sunday or would you agree to play on Tuesday?

A little suspect that he injured it and then still won his match? I say tough luck, forfeit the match and better luck next year.

Is it really up to you? Isn't it up to the officials?

Sounds like a forfeit if the match cannot be played my the deadline. Leave it up to the officials but you should at least contact them.

Leave it up to the tournament officials. My personal opinion is to play on Sunday.

My inclination is to assume good intent and be willing to play later, but ultimately I leave it up to the officials.

Ensure the officials know that you're prepared to play on Sunday, and then leave the ruling up to them. Is his "injury" going to heal in two extra days? Sounds fishy to me.

This happens during match play at my club quite frequently. It is generally left up to the participants to work out something agreeable as long as it is only a few days. But, in your case, it sounds like he should be asking the "officials".

I say you have him take it up with the officials and let them decide, but the match will be Sunday if they decide no extra time is needed.

I guess the 'gentlemen' thing to do would be to tell him that while you have no objection, its up to the club/officials. I was in that situation once. My league team was in the playoffs, then my wife had our child. I asked if it could be pushed off a few days, the club politely told me that wasn't possible. So I just told them to get an alternate to take my position.

Unfortunately, my team lost, but that's just how it goes. Life happens. I certainly hold no ill will towards the club for it.

~Rock

Ultimately it is up to the officials but I would say you win as he is forfeiting the match due to injury

If a tennis player gets injured during a tournament, they don't re-arrange the schedule to give him time to recover

Tough luck but these things happen

I would tell him that it needs to get done by Sunday because you have a life that you have to be present for on Tuesday, and that you don't want to have to cram the next round in so soon after thrashing him in this round...hahaha

Seriously...how many other sports would ever do a postponement instead of a forfeit in a playoff round...not too many... tell the officials you are ready to play and you suspect he's just stalling...let them be the bad guy.

I wouldn't say anything to him and tell him to talk to the officials. I would however tell the officials if you playing on Tuesday will not work out for you. I despise cheaters in golf and if he's just trying to get over and you truly belive he is than don't just make it easy on him because you feel bad BUT if you cannot say for certain he is scamming then I wouldn't say anything and just deal with it.

I'm not sure I have the timeline right, but he played with your friends dad after the supposed injury?

I'm half thinking this is some kind of mind game he's playing--especially if he's a "character."

Part of me thinks the match should be played Sunday under the Club Championship Rules. A bigger part of me would respond with "I'll beat you whichever day your prefer."

Regardless, I agree with others that the Championship Officials need to make this decision.

Leave it up to the officials that way it doesn't get uncomfortable around the clubhouse.

I say leave it up to the officials. Problem is, the officials will place it back on you.

Here's how it will play out :

You, "I think you should talk to the officials about the proper procedure"
Officials, "Your opponent can choose whether or not to postpone the match"

Now everyone is staring at you for the final decision.

Tough spot. On one hand, he may be trying postpone playing while in a slump. On the other, you may be perceived as a jerk.

I say leave it up to the officials. Problem is, the officials will place it back on you.

Here's how it will play out :

You, "I think you should talk to the officials about the proper procedure"
Officials, "Your opponent can choose whether or not to postpone the match"

Now everyone is staring at you for the final decision.

Tough spot. On one hand, he may be trying postpone playing while in a slump. On the other, you may be perceived as a jerk.

I agree with this, and if and when they do say I have plans all week and Sunday is the only day I could play.

Let him get his game back and then just smoke him. You just worry about you and being ready.

My response would pretty much be "whenever you are ready to go, just clear it with the officials".

Well in the end we played on Sunday.
He played 18 on Saturday and seemed fine to me posting a 75 net.

I was 1 up after 4 and then seemingly lost all semblance of my regular game.
I lost 5-8 to finish the front 9 3 down.
I then lost 10 and 11 to bogey's.
Lost 12 to a par.
Won 13 with a birdie and halved 14 with a bogey.

Lost 5 & 4.

To say I'm disappointed doesn't even come close.
I dropped 11 shots between hole 5 and hole 14.
Some of the mistakes I can't even explain or begin to understand.
For some reason it seems that I put pressure on myself and started making ridiculous mistakes.

Hole 7, 10 and 14 I was in the middle of the fairway playing sandwedge second shot and I didn't hit the green on any of those holes.
Hole's 3, 9 and 11 I missed 4-6 footers for the hole.

It's difficult to explain to my friends but to be honest I feel so bad that I don't even know what to do with my game now.
I've been playing so well but to collapse like that is ridiculous, I know if I go play 9 today I'll play well but it doesn't matter.
I need to find a way of putting myself in those pressure situations and overcoming the pressure to play my game.

I'm really sorry man. I feel your pain - I recently lost in a manner very similar to what you describe after being 4 up through 12 and having my opponent dormie after 15. It was extremely refreshing to get back out and play stroke play just for fun. Perhaps it can take some of the sting away for you too.

Thanks bud.
I think I might go out and play 9 after work on Wednesday.
The thing that really frustrates me is that I should've and would've won if I'd just played steady par golf.
Just feel that nerves somehow got to me and that's a hard thing to cure.

At the end of the day the semi finals was my target and I knew I could do it.
Getting further would've required my best ever round as the other guy is a bandit scratch player.
Struggling to come to terms with collapsing so badly.

Might have been the situation that you were put in, stress can wreck your game.

I'm going with what a few other gave said, this is something you need to bring up to those who make these decisions. Let them decide

Back