Wedges for High Handicapper

dvdwto86

Reaction score
Handicap
I have had a look at the search, and although there is a lot of good advice of wedges, gapping etc, I am looking for some opinions on Wedges for a High Handicapper.

I currently have an old set of clubs which I am looking to upgrade. I have been looking at Callaway XR Irons, 5-PW. I would be omitting the 54 degree SW, so I can purchase a full set of wedges. The PW stands at 44 degrees loft.

I was thinking the best gapping would be 48, 52 & 56 but with so much contradictory information on which clubs are suitable for high/mid/low handicappers I am struggling to come to a decision.

I was looking at the Cleveland CG15's but I am struggling to get this in a 48 loft. Any clubs which are similar in feel and play ability to these?

From a loft perspective the 48/52/56 is a good route. Should give you even gapping and the 56 is versatile enough for a high hdcp.

The cg15 were decent wedges. If you want to stay in the Cleveland family which have been some of my favorite wedges the rtx2.0 are good and if you want new release the rtx3. Some other good options are the vokey sm6 or sm5 for previous release. Callaway md3 are good wedges too

What about the Smart Sole wedges from Cleveland?

I agree on your thoughts on going 48, 52 and 56 and think you should maybe consider a cavity back wedge. As emart said, the Cieveland RTX2 (prior generation) and RTX 3 (current generation) come in cavity back options and are very solid choices.

The CG15 line was one of the favorites of golfers for years from Cleveland Golf. THeir following release was the CG16, which introduced more perimeter weighting and sole style which would be more forgiving.

In a traditional wedge package, they are still one of the few companies that is going to offer this type of wedge. The RTX-3 that just came out offers the CB variety and the reviews from those that try it are as good as anything we have seen in a forgiving wedge package to date on THP.

If forgiveness is what you are looking for, the keys are going to be wider sole and perimeter weighting (meaning what you can find with a wedge). Mizuno offered the JPX line a few years ago, that came close to fitting the bill. Solid wedge.

Other wise, the easiest thing would be to test out the RTX-3 CB and then test out a number of other wedges to it, and compare what you find. This way you can hit most brands and see what you like and don't like while getting to hit one of the few packages designed for forgiveness.

BombTech golf has a set of 4 wedges for 99 dollars right now. 52-56-60-and a 72. I have no idea what you'd do with the 72 degree wedge other than mess around and have some fun with it. I have the 52-56-60 and they are pretty nice in my opinion. Cant beat 100$ for 4 wedges, even if you never use the 72.

BombTech golf has a set of 4 wedges for 99 dollars right now. 52-56-60-and a 72. I have no idea what you'd do with the 72 degree wedge other than mess around and have some fun with it. I have the 52-56-60 and they are pretty nice in my opinion. Cant beat 100$ for 4 wedges, even if you never use the 72.

i have the grenade 72 and it truly is ridiculous

i use it for goofing off, full swing 30 yards!

Hi capper here. I haven't had a chance to try the rtx-3 wedges yet, but it currently tops my list. The changes made were substantial.

I game and enjoy the Cleveland CB wedges. They're forgiving and still versatile. The weighting on them helps me feel the clubhead a little more than others.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I'm going to say that if you are a high capper, wedges are an odd spot, IMO. Getting up & down, or at least avoiding the 3 to get on, 3 to get off double bogey is a HUGE part of your game. I think the Callway MD2 wedge is inexpensive, and has a ton of options to meet your needs while still being quite versatile. I also like the Cobra wedges. The K-grind is incredibly versatile. I can't really comment on the most recent offerings, but the Trusty Rusty from a couple years ago continues to earn a spot in my bag.

I have had a look at the search, and although there is a lot of good advice of wedges, gapping etc, I am looking for some opinions on Wedges for a High Handicapper.

I currently have an old set of clubs which I am looking to upgrade. I have been looking at Callaway XR Irons, 5-PW. I would be omitting the 54 degree SW, so I can purchase a full set of wedges. The PW stands at 44 degrees loft.

I was thinking the best gapping would be 48, 52 & 56 but with so much contradictory information on which clubs are suitable for high/mid/low handicappers I am struggling to come to a decision.

I was looking at the Cleveland CG15's but I am struggling to get this in a 48 loft. Any clubs which are similar in feel and play ability to these?
Make sure you watch the Callaway CPO site this week. XR's should be 30% off and wedges are BOGO today only.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hi capper here. I haven't had a chance to try the rtx-3 wedges yet, but it currently tops my list. The changes made were substantial.

I game and enjoy the Cleveland CB wedges. They're forgiving and still versatile. The weighting on them helps me feel the clubhead a little more than others.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I apologize in advance for the off topic post....but i wouldn't consider 18 a high capper. Give yourself some credit :smile:

I'll agree with JB if you're looking to not spend a lot, the CG15 & CG16 are just great wedges.

I apologize in advance for the off topic post....but i wouldn't consider 18 a high capper. Give yourself some credit :smile:

Put me in a THP event and I'm a solid 30 jajaj. Still the most fun you can have golfing regardless of how you're playing.

Taylormade ATV's are pretty nice, easy to find cheap and forgiving as well

I agree. An 18 cap definitely shows some consistently to the game. Give the RTX-3s a hard look.

I would personally say give a good look at the Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB wedges, can be had for a good price and they are a big step up in forgiveness from the standard.

Wedges for High Handicapper

You should get set wedges, they will IMO give you the most forgiveness IMO.

Last edited:
I would personally say give a good look at the Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB wedges, can be had for a good price and they are a big step up in forgiveness from the standard.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement - but if the OP can afford the RTX-3 wedges they are IMO worth upgrading too. They are simply superior. YMMV.

Last edited:
I'm not disagreeing with your statement - but if the OP can afford the RTX-3 wedges they are IMO worth upgrading too. The are they are simply superior. YMMV.

Don't doubt it at all I just haven't had a chance to try them so I can't really recommend something I have never hit.

genuine high capper here...

I started with a set of Adams Tom Watson wedges (3 piece for $100 ish) and they are definitely playable and have room for your game to improve.

This year I upgraded to a callaway MD3 54* and Callaway PM Grind 58* to compliment my wilson d200 set (5-pw,aw) I have seen much more success with my chipping with these two wedges, however it could have to do with natural game improvement.

One thing to consider is the type of turf interaction you will be needing. different types of grass around the country will demand different sole shapes for better results. Do some research and see what other golfers in your area are using in terms of sole shape on their wedges.

I think your loft suggestions are good to keep gapping consistent, but keep in mind your highest lofted wedge will likely NOT be used for full swings, That will most likely be used primarily for feel based shots, short green side chips or bunker shots.

I dont think there are any wedges that will automatically be perfect. swing a bunch of different ones and pick the ones you think feel the best.

You might be well served getting a set AW (49 or 50*, I forget what it is in the XR), and then going with 54/58 or just a 56 in the wedges. The set AW will be much more forgiving on full swings, even more so than the RTX CB or similar wedges.

Get the XR set AW (49*) and two others wedges.

If you are going to full swing them consider cavity back designs if you are concerned with how well you may/may not hit them. If you won't be hitting full shots with them then I think you'd be fine with a traditional/blade style wedge. Try to go with around 4* gaps. Try to get the same or similar weight/flex shafts just for consistency. And if possible look for something with higher bounce and/or special grind/sole designed to help the golfer (smart sole, etc.).

You might be well served getting a set AW (49 or 50*, I forget what it is in the XR), and then going with 54/58 or just a 56 in the wedges. The set AW will be much more forgiving on full swings, even more so than the RTX CB or similar wedges.

Get the XR set AW (49*) and two others wedges.

^^^^^This.

I started as a 27 when I bought my wedges this year. The advice on this forum was to go with the set attack/gap wedge, and they were definitely right in my case.

I wound up with Ping Glides because I could do what I wanted with them more consistently than the others I tried. I played Cleveland 588s before that and the RTX CB 2.0s were great when I tested them at a Demo Day - full shots, partial shots, pitches and runs, you name it. On that day I tested the Vokey SM6, Callaway MD3, RTX and Glides. They were all very close in performance, and if the Callaway had had the bounce I wanted in a 54 degree club, I would have bought them.

I have become a big believer in trying before I buy. Most times, I wound up with something other than what I thought I was going to buy. The right clubs for you are the ones that work the best for you.

Back