Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobra Connect Review Thread

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,824 Posts
    Is there a major difference in the Cobra Connect version vs. regular Arccos?

I'm also curious to see feedback on what you guys think about playing with the phone in your pocket. That's one thing I'm not very excited for. I have a pretty large phone and it seems like that could be annoying.
    Proud Team THP alum in TheGrandaddy 2018

In my Alpha Convoy Grandaddy Cart Bag
    Driver:
    Epic Flash 10.5* w/ XT60
    3 Wood: Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* w/ XT60
    5 Wood: Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* w/ XT60
    Hybrid: Apex 23* w/ 80HY
    Irons: Apex Pro 5-AW w/ Modus 3 Tour 105
    Wedges: 56* MD4, 60* PM Grind w/ Modus 3 Tour 120
    Putter: Stroke Lab One
    Golf Ball: Chrome Soft X

Handicap
    Going down
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by obedt View Post
    Honestly, it's something that would not be noticed at all. The only reasons I can think of for removing this is in case you use another system like GameGolf that needs a different device be attached on the grip end or simply prefer another grip. Cobra Connect is not noticeable in the least; it's the most discreet sensor on the market BY FAR.
    Agreed. Looking at the F7 grip yesterday, if I didn't specifically know to look for the sensor, I most likely never would have noticed it.
    In the bag:
    F6 11.5* White Tie
    Great Big Bertha 3W and V-series Heavenwood
    X2Hot 4 hybrid (currently in "time out" for being a hook machine)
    D200 5i-GW
    X Series JAWS 54*, PM Grind 58*
    Huntington Beach #10
    Q-Star Tour

Currently testing the Smart Sole S 3.0 thanks to
    Proudly represented #TeamNE in #THPRegionalRivalry thanks to & !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to russtopher For This Useful Post:

obedt (02-05-2017)

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Creciendo
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KEV View Post

I'm also curious to see feedback on what you guys think about playing with the phone in your pocket. That's one thing I'm not very excited for. I have a pretty large phone and it seems like that could be annoying.
    I can't answer the first question completely. It's possible that as more rounds are logged more Cobra-specific features are enabled. As of now, I don't think there is much of any difference. Both use the same app and functionality appears to be the same as the one Canadan reviewed.

The second part - about having the phone in the pocket - I'm short and have a big phone (5.5"). No physical issues swinging the club with the phone in the front left pocket. The only problem I did have was that I got tons of calls that day and some came up mid-swing. Those did bother me.
    Spoiler
    Driver: Rogue
    Fairway: V-Series Heavenwood, 915 F2 16.5
    Hybrid: G400 Crossover
    Irons: Callaway Steelhead XR 5-PW
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60
    Putter: m5x Proto (1 of 3)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to obedt For This Useful Post:

DufferToo (02-06-2017), KEV (02-05-2017)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    What happens when you change grips? Is it easy to reinstall the tracker?
    M2 12.5
    Razer Fit Extreme 3 Wood
    X-Hot 3 & 4 Hybrids
    X-hot Irons
    Mackdaddy 2 LW GW SW
    Select Newport 2.5
    Prov1

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Creciendo
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borss View Post
    What happens when you change grips? Is it easy to reinstall the tracker?
    There is an aide in this link for installing the tracker:
    https://www.cobragolf.com/tryconnect

Keep in mind, the grip has to be Cobra Connect compatible, meaning it has to have the slot in the butt end to fit the sensor.
    Spoiler

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,363 Posts
    It think this is a great way for an OEM like Cobra to integrate technology into their clubs. I would like to see if they are able to track if they sale more clubs because of the tech or if it does not make a difference.
    WITB: Driver: G400
    3wood: Epic 15* with Project X Hzrdus T800 shaft 6.0
    2hybrid: 915H 18* Project X HD2 6.0
    3hybrid: J15 21* with Aldila Tour Blue, stiff
    5-PW: J15DFP with Tour-V, stiff
    50,56,60*: J15 Black Oxide with black legacy custom shaft.
    Putter: Not a cool new looking SWAG
    Judge your accomplishments not on what you have done, but on what you should have done.

Contestant in #THPSweep

Handicap
    The Clock
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13,618 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    Reached out to Arccos on the Cobra Connect since I have the original version and I was wondering how it works, they said I can add another club and pair it and use the other shaft/sensor for something else.

Pretty happy about that, I think it will be strange with the original sensors on most of my clubs and the new sensor on the driver shaft.

I'm curious how the Cobra Connect social aspect works in tandem with the regular system. Looking forward to trying this out on Saturday.
    Had the opportunity to get this out yesterday for the maiden voyage.

It was in the low 40s

I used the Cobra Connect for the front 9 with the fujikura xlr8 and the 12g weight in the back for high trajectory.

At the turn I switched shafts out for the MFS White Tie that I'm testing and my regular Arccos Units.

I was having trouble pairing sensors to each app. I wanted to be able to use the Cobra Connect for the entire round, but the difficulty pairing was something I hadn't seen with Arccos sensors before.

My longest drive on the front 9 was 249 yards "Smart distance" (basically average distance on all of the drivers discounting outliers) was 237 yards, my driving handicap was bad at 30+ as I went 2/6 FIR with 1 missed left and 4 missed right.

On the back 9 distance wasn't that great, as I said we were fighting the wind for a lot of the day. My Smart Distance on the back was 220 yards, my longest drive on the back was 234. My FIRs on the back was 2 I missed 3 right and 2 left.

So my biggest struggle was accuracy. The course is a pretty wide open course and the fairways forgiving, so to have some of the misses I did was a bit frustrating.
    spent with this I'm confidant though, that with the right shaft and some solid range time this will be the driver that I game this year.

Any questions, let me know.
    Just placing my thoughts here that I putt in the F7 thread.

Also battery life for the round was very draining. More so than with the general arccos.

I did not have any issues with drives not registering with the Cobra Connect sensor either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MD4 50 W Grind/Tactical 54 S Grind/58 X Grind/X Forged '18 5-PW Irons Launcher HB 4i
    KING F8 13.5 Driver/ F7 17.0 Fwy G400 SFT 11.0 EXO Rossie S Neck

Currently Testing:

Elevate Shafts in X Forged '18 Irons

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OITW For This Useful Post:

DufferToo (02-06-2017), obedt (02-05-2017), tequila4kapp (02-05-2017)

Contestant in #THPSweep

Handicap
    The Clock
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13,618 Posts
    I will game this with the fujikura because of the Cobra Connect.

The new sensor is a HUGE upgrade over the old arccos version 1 sensors you can't tell it's there.

MD4 50 W Grind/Tactical 54 S Grind/58 X Grind/X Forged '18 5-PW Irons Launcher HB 4i

Currently Testing:

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OITW For This Useful Post:

blakehall (02-07-2017), DufferToo (02-06-2017), obedt (02-05-2017), Scrap Iron (02-10-2017), tequila4kapp (02-05-2017)

Major Champion
    Handicap
    USGA 15.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KEV View Post
    I've been reading / researching. Here's what I think I've found so far.

Arccos is all clubs, Cobra is driver only.

Obedt and OITW touched on another big one - the sensor is integrated into the grip instead of being an external device.

And then there are propriety add on features for CobraConnect:
    -Long Drive game. Basically every hole in the world becomes a long drive contest for everyone with CobraConnect. The GOS unit show two lines across the fairway,myelinated you how far you need to drive the ball. The person with the long drive gets a little icon next to their name (????)

- Integrated to social media and email. Let's you share a drive or driving stats from the app.

- Automated help. Eventually the device gathers data about your driving and send you help. For example, you could get a video of Ricky Fowler telling you how to not hit slices.

I think there is more but I'm still digging.
    Captain, Team THP in the 2018 Grandaddy
    #100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:
    PhillyV (The AssCap), ArmyGolf, dacatalyst41, Shanewu, BlueHen2006, KEV, mpeterson, Boder, Phil75070, rogt, ttucliffhanger, dazeedmonds

In my Shadow Fuse or Alpha Convoy Grandaddy cart bag:
    Driver: EPIC Flash Sub Zero, Project X Smoke, 6.0
    FW: EPIC Flash, Project X Smoke, 6.0
    Hybrids: Apex 3h & 4h, PX Catalyst 6.0
    Irons: Apex Forged '19, UST Recoil ZT9 460, F3
    Wedges: 54* MD4 and 58* PM Grind 2.0, UST Recoil 95, F3 (tipped)
    Putter: Toulon Memphis
    Ball: Chrome Soft CS Truvis and ERC

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tequila4kapp For This Useful Post:

ArmyGolf (02-05-2017), DufferToo (02-06-2017), KEV (02-05-2017), obedt (02-05-2017), OITW (02-05-2017)

Major Champion
    Handicap
    USGA 15.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,168 Posts
    I got over to my home course this morning and demo'd the F7 at an outdoor bay. I couldn't use CobraConnect (you need to walk to your ball and hit a second shot, which enables the device to mark the end point of your drive). But what i did notice is that you'd never know the Arccos device is at the end the grip unless someone told you. There's absolutely zero change to the club's weighting or feel because of the sensor.
    Last edited by tequila4kapp; 02-05-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    #100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:
    PhillyV (The AssCap), ArmyGolf, dacatalyst41, Shanewu, BlueHen2006, KEV, mpeterson, Boder, Phil75070, rogt, ttucliffhanger, dazeedmonds

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tequila4kapp For This Useful Post:

Barberakb (02-06-2017), DufferToo (02-06-2017), obedt (02-05-2017), OITW (02-05-2017)

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Creciendo
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,505 Posts
    Have 2 more rounds under my belt. There are some pluses on this device -

1. How discreet it is. Cobra and Arccos did a great job on the design. Even if you don't plan on using it, there is no minus to having the chip integrated to the grip.

2. Accuracy. The last 2 rounds I have not interfered with the app. For the most part I've left the phone in my pocket and tried to let it do it's thing. There is one drive from yesterday's round where it short-changed me some 12 yards. Other than that I think it's been accurate on everything with one exception - Fairway bunkers that have fluffy sand. Even if you catch the ball clean (for the most part) the device could not detect that impact. I've had at least 3 such drives in the last 2 rounds and they all had these issues. It's a minor item - just avoid fairway bunkers . Needs to be mentioned again, the sand in these 2 courses was not firm or packed at all. In other conditions this may be a non-issue. In these cases just go back to the hole where you landed in a FW bunker and edit the drive. It's a straight forward process.

3. Stat tracking - the smart distance, while humbling, is very accurate imo. It gives you an idea what your typical drive at each course is. It also tracks your misses (L or R) so you can view historically if you are improving or if there is a steady miss.

Key minuses -
    1. My phone battery isn't good to begin with, but this app is a HOG on it. I tried to interfere with the phone as little as possible (for me) and the phone didn't last either of the last 2 rounds. Both were 4+ hours, so that's something to keep in mind. I think that if the round were 3 hours or less this wouldn't be as much of an issue, since the phone died around hole 16 both days. For me, rounds are typically drawn out affairs unfortunately. I add the caveat that my phone battery life sucks to begin with. However, I typically use Golfshot and don't have issues. I'm guessing the app constantly listening for impact is the culprit. Having a newer phone with good battery life would help, as would a small charger in your pocket that can be used mid round on. If I plan on continuing to use the app this will probably be the route to go.
    Spoiler

Contestant in #THPSweep

Handicap
    The Clock
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13,618 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by obedt View Post
    Have 2 more rounds under my belt. There are some pluses on this device -

1. How discreet it is. Cobra and Arccos did a great job on the design. Even if you don't plan on using it, there is no minus to having the chip integrated to the grip.

2. Accuracy. The last 2 rounds I have not interfered with the app. For the most part I've left the phone in my pocket and tried to let it do it's thing. There is one drive from yesterday's round where it short-changed me some 12 yards. Other than that I think it's been accurate on everything with one exception - Fairway bunkers that have fluffy sand. Even if you catch the ball clean (for the most part) the device could not detect that impact. I've had at least 3 such drives in the last 2 rounds and they all had these issues. It's a minor item - just avoid fairway bunkers . Needs to be mentioned again, the sand in these 2 courses was not firm or packed at all. In other conditions this may be a non-issue. In these cases just go back to the hole where you landed in a FW bunker and edit the drive. It's a straight forward process.

3. Stat tracking - the smart distance, while humbling, is very accurate imo. It gives you an idea what your typical drive at each course is. It also tracks your misses (L or R) so you can view historically if you are improving or if there is a steady miss.

Key minuses -
    1. My phone battery isn't good to begin with, but this app is a HOG on it. I tried to interfere with the phone as little as possible (for me) and the phone didn't last either of the last 2 rounds. Both were 4+ hours, so that's something to keep in mind. I think that if the round were 3 hours or less this wouldn't be as much of an issue, since the phone died around hole 16 both days. For me, rounds are typically drawn out affairs unfortunately. I add the caveat that my phone battery life sucks to begin with. However, I typically use Golfshot and don't have issues. I'm guessing the app constantly listening for impact is the culprit. Having a newer phone with good battery life would help, as would a small charger in your pocket that can be used mid round on. If I plan on continuing to use the app this will probably be the route to go.
    Do you leave it on the hole view or put it on yardage? That is the "power save" mode on the reg arccos

Currently Testing:

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Creciendo
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,505 Posts
    Do you leave it on the hole view or put it on yardage? That is the "power save" mode on the reg arccos

I just left it default (hole view). The screen should turn off though.
    Spoiler

Major Champion
    Handicap
    USGA 15.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,168 Posts

Cobra Connect Review Thread

As of this afternoon I'm officially a member of the Cobra F7 / Cobra Connect club. Here is what you get and what you see when you open the box.

The instructions are very straight forward. They appear to focus on setup and not cover some of the app's other features. That's a bit of a curious choice but perhaps the app is so intuitive to use that those other instructions aren't necessary

The end of the grip is covered in plastic that says this

Before and after pictures of the Arccos device being covered with plastic

If you decide to buy a Cobra Connect enabled driver be sure the device is covered as shown in the picture above. The device is activated by exposure to sunlight. The battery's 2 year guarantee will likely be put to the test if the club spends excessive time outside your bag.

More to come later tonight on getting set up...

#100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tequila4kapp For This Useful Post:

afwcardinal (02-10-2017), blakehall (02-10-2017), J4U (02-14-2017), Jeff Spicoli (02-09-2017), jim54 (02-09-2017), obedt (02-10-2017), OITW (02-10-2017), russtopher (02-10-2017)

Major Champion
    Handicap
    USGA 15.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,168 Posts

Cobra Connect Review Thread

Let's walk through the setup steps.

First, you go to Cobra.com to create an account. After that you download the app from an Apple Store (or wherever heathen Steve Jobs haters go).

The pictures walk you through each step:

[I deleted a screen shot here because it displayed my full name. You are prompted to enter your handicap (full number only), DOB, right/left hand and number of rounds played.]

At this point I believe you need the club / sensor near your phone

After this step the device finds your closest course and invites you to start a round

And you get a confirmation email:

Total elapsed time was less than 10 minutes, and that's with taking screen shots, accidentally turning my phone off repeatedly while taking screen shots, etc.

Last edited by tequila4kapp; 02-10-2017 at 03:28 PM.
    #100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:

23. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tequila4kapp For This Useful Post:

afwcardinal (02-10-2017), BamBooBender (02-10-2017), Barberakb (02-10-2017), J-Pin (02-15-2017), J4U (02-14-2017), JB (02-10-2017), LordByron (02-10-2017), obedt (02-10-2017), OITW (02-10-2017), russtopher (02-10-2017), Scrap Iron (04-09-2017), War Eagle (02-11-2017)