Shafts for new OEM Drivers

RNG

Reaction score
Handicap
I am curious as to how the typical OEM determines what their standard shaft offering will be for their latest and greatest driver? I know they all offer lots of custom options but what about the one they ship as STD?

1. Is it based on the best price they can get from a shaft manufacturer?
2. Do they really test that many shafts in their driver to find out which one works the best for the most people?
3. Other method????

Anyone know for sure???

I am curious as to how the typical OEM determines what their standard shaft offering will be for their latest and greatest driver? I know they all offer lots of custom options but what about the one they ship as STD?

2. Do they really test that many shafts in their driver to find out which one works the best for the most people?
3. Other method????

Anyone know for sure???

I believe it has been covered in a few different podcasts this year.

They test out shafts.
They find which shaft is hot and attracting attention.
Figure out if it works for them pricing wise.
Tweak it to get specific performance if needed.

Sorta curious myself on this. As I've paid no attention to this. Buy a driver head to the shop get fitted, throw stock shaft in the corner.

3. Other method????

Anyone know for sure???
I believe that every shaft that Titleist offers (even if it comes with an upcharge) goes through testing before being offered with their drivers.

Also, IIRC, Wilson Staff said that with the F5 they did some serious shaft testing to ensure that the pairings they offered allowed the driver to perform as intended.

I'm sure these two companies are not alone in making sure the shafts they offer with their clubs don't hamper the clubs performance in any way.

these companies do a lot of shaft testing to make sure what is going out there door works for what they intend to. Remember they are trying to fit 90% of the golfing public.

Back