How do you attack this par 3?

khaos288

Reaction score
Handicap
the green is about 50 yards long, by 25 yards wide. Off left of the green is sand, and off right of the green is a creek. The tee box is elevated, and it lasers 192 to the very back pin placement. There is no danger between the tee box and the pin.

I hit my hybrid, and pulled one even left of the bunker. My chip sped just past the pin to the edge of the creek, another chip and two putt had me double bogey, and it wasn't pretty.

Right after I played the hole, I wished I would have just hit the 6 iron short of the green/maybe roll onto the front, then even a 3 putt is better than what happened.

GD7g05F.png

Driver all day! I'm confident enough to hit it straight and that distance is right in my wheel house!

If the pin is in the same place, I'd hit a 5i. I'd probably pull it into the bunker and do the same thing you did

6i to the middle isn't a bad play if you're more confident with it than 5i or hybrid and would probably be the play if the match was tight or I was up.

4h. It'll go left more often than it'll go right. I'm ok with having to get up and down from the left side if I have to.

6i middle left side of the green assuming the green slopes to the right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this #15 at Champion Circle?
Looks really familiar .
I would play 6i or 4h, depending on the wind.
If this is Champion circle, I have played 7i on it also. Wind direction is everything in this hole.

5i, aim to the left side of the green, try to put a good swing on it.

I normally hit my 5 wood about 200 yds so I take a little off my 5 wood which I normally hit straight by chocking down a bit and aim for the front center of the green and hope things go as planned.

If it's a back pin, 3w but I'll be aiming at the bunker. It either goes straight and over the bunker, or leak a little right like it usually does and land back of the green. If center pin maybe I'll use a 5w.

Assuming (1) that one needs to ATTACK the pin and (2) the pin is in the back, I'd pick one of:

1) 6 Iron
2) 5 Iron or 5 hybrid (depending on which was in my bag that day)

assuming a mild wind either into or out.

Looks like a pretty straight forward par 3, other than the green being unusually deep. Club selection would depend upon the wind and how deep into the green the pin was cut. I see your 6 iron to the front idea as one of the riskier routes to play it. Looks like that creek cuts in pretty close right there and I'd want to carry it past that bottle neck at all costs. If the pins back at 192 like you stated I'm playing whichever one of my hybrids I think will get me a little past the pin that day, (I carry a 19.5* and a 16.5*). That green looks like it gets especially generous towards the back.

Last edited:
I would hit a 3h and aim towards the left side of the green. I tend to lose that club to the right, so I would compensate to try and avoid it. I would probably come up short though, and have to pitch on anyway.

Assuming no wind, I hit my 5.5 hybrid to centre of green. If a strong headwind, I'd probably hit a little punch 3w. If a side wind, I probably aim at the bunker with my 4h and try to hit a high fade into the wind or straight to ride the wind.

I'm hitting a 6 iron at pin, unless the pin is on the right side, I would probably go at the left side of the green then.

I would hit a 6 iron . If the pin was tucked on the right play for middle of the green and 2 putt.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

9 wood, aim right at the creek and play for the high pressure draw /pull and it will stop where it lands. With luck on the green or go fishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'd be hitting something around 6 or 7 iron aiming right side of the green. My miss with irons is a pull draw so I'd be ok aiming damn near at the creek haha

In a perfect world my 5i at left edge of green and let my fade bring it back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'd be hitting something around 6 or 7 iron aiming right side of the green. My miss with irons is a pull draw so I'd be ok aiming damn near at the creek haha
This is no more than an 8i/7i for you on a normal day, if it's the hole I believe it is.

This is no more than an 8i/7i for you on a normal day, if it's the hole I believe it is.
I've lost some distance, it might even be a 5 iron lol

192 downhill where short is safe? 5i all day long. I will decide where I don't want my miss to be then go to the opposite side of the tee box to play away from that miss.

7 or 8 iron depending on how my game has been going. 8 iron leaves me a little short but I'm okay with that miss. My 7i can sometimes go hard left and I'd miss even the bunker if that shot comes into play

I'd hit either 5i or 4i depending on wind. I'd aim at left side of green. If my ball fades then it's fine in middle of the green. If I pull it, either I'm in the bunker or just past it. Either way I chip and take 2 putt bogey.

6 iron and (hopefully if the planets are aligned) it draws slightly and I am dancing on the green. The miss would be left unfortunately but you gotta risk it for the biscuit!!

Back