Man the guy at the dealership even talked about a 5-10% AC runoff. You guys are lucky.

Guy at work has one and he said his is in the range of 3-5% run off.

A fair comparison to the Model S would be the 6 and 7 series models, which sold 17,000 units in the US last year vs. about 20,000 units for the Tesla. Not bad for a 4 year old car company. I think by 2020 Tesla could be selling 100,000 cars a year in the U.S., pretty good when you compare them to someone like Audi who sells 180,000 cars each year in the US and certainly enough to make them a viable, profitable company. Estimates are that they sold about 9,000 units last quarter, most of those in the U.S., with an average selling price of around $100k. As a comparison, the MB S Class, BMW 7 Series, Audi A8, and Lexus LS sold about 10,000 units combined during the 1st quarter in the U.S. Impressive indeed for a 4 year old company. The Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf are the other big EV sellers.

Your statement was that the Model 3 brings them out of the Niche category and onto the big stage though, no? I have no problem saying the Model S has done well compared to other high end luxury cars. But, you also have to take into account that BMW sells the 5 and 6 series as well, including the M models, which will actually be up there in the $80-100k+ mark, and pull sales away from 7's as high end options. I'm not sure comparing the only model Tesla offers to 1 model out of about 5 in that same price range just for one manufacturer is a true comparison. Anyone who wants a Tesla HAS to buy a model S. I expect Model S sales to drop substantially when the Model 3 is released.

So for the Model 3 to bring Tesla onto the main luxury auto brand stage, it has to compete with the BMW 3 and 4 series, which will destroy it in sales. I would also love to see Tesla become profitable, but they reported that Telsa loses on average $20k on each Model S sold. Not exactly what you would call "profitable".

Not exactly what you would call "profitable".

When the gigafactory comes online at full capacity the price of batteries will plummet. Their battery production in that factory will be more then the entire current production of lithium ion packs worldwide.

Tesla Model 3

When the gigafactory comes online at full capacity the price of batteries will plummet. Their battery production in that factory will be more then the entire current production of lithium ion packs worldwide.

To support their planned production of 500,000 cars per year. They are selling no where near that amount for their total in 3 years, are we really supposed to believe their business model can support 5 times that amount per year? And at a cost that's actually profitable? From what I can find, the batteries themselves only cost at the higher end of $12k to replace, which means they are paying less. I fail to see how owning the factory that produced the batteries makes up that $20k per car.

To support their planned production of 500,000 cars per year. They are selling no where near that amount for their total in 3 years, are we really supposed to believe their business model can support 5 times that amount per year? And at a cost that's actually profitable? From what I can find, the batteries themselves only cost at the higher end of $12k to replace, which means they are paying less. I fail to see how owning the factory that produced the batteries makes up that $20k per car.

Tesla is not losing 20K per car.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...000-on-every-model-s-it-sells.html/?a=viewall

Eh, either no one has a single clue, or everyone is just making stuff up. This is where I read that http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-model-3-profitable-151416006.html#

And to be fair, that cheatsheet article produces no actual facts. It really just says "there is no way the company loses money on every car".

Quoted from that article: "We don’t know exactly how much Tesla makes per car, but we have every reason to believe the Model S is sold at a profit."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/01/

As of 1:30 PST 1st April 2016 Tesla is reporting just short of 200k deposits down on a Model 3. Even if they have a 50% fall down rate that is pretty damn impressive.

Just asking people in my office, at least 3 others besides myself are seriously considering getting one.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/01/

As of 1:30 PST 1st April 2016 Tesla is reporting just short of 200k deposits down on a Model 3. Even if they have a 50% fall down rate that is pretty damn impressive.

Just asking people in my office, at least 3 others besides myself are seriously considering getting one.

Of the initial 200k orders, they will have more than a 50% fall off. They will still sell a ton of them, which is great, and more are coming daily, so the numbers are going to be huge, but of that first 200k, the drop off will be large.

Its always easy to buy with no strings attached what you dont have to pay for now, dont know when you will have to pay for it, and can walk away at any time. The real issue is how this impacts the automobile world going forward, because they have a major issue on their hands, due to distributor vs direct to consumer.

Of the initial 200k orders, they will have more than a 50% fall off. They will still sell a ton of them, which is great, and more are coming daily, so the numbers are going to be huge, but of that first 200k, the drop off will be large.

Its always easy to buy with no strings attached what you dont have to pay for now, dont know when you will have to pay for it, and can walk away at any time. The real issue is how this impacts the automobile world going forward, because they have a major issue on their hands, due to distributor vs direct to consumer.

Yep. When those credit card bills come due next month I see a bit of a fall off. Also, since we are at least 2 years from any real distribution a large number will abandon when the need/demand/want for a new car becomes immediate.

I think GM benefits from this rush as well if they can get the Bolt on lots sooner then later. People will cancel orders and take in stock inventory.

One of the things I find pretty funny is the big push to preorder. If they are able to produce as many as they say, pre-ordering should not be all that necessary.

Becky and I are thinking about putting a deposit down on one. She'll be due for a new car in 2018 as her current car will probably have 150k+ miles on it by then
with all she drives for work. She's always been intrigued by the Tesla and I think it'll be fun for her :) I don't think this is something that is saving money or anything
of the sort....especially since the tax rebate will be pretty much non existent at that point. Just something new. Hopefully Tesla and the industry grows and does great things...
but for now it's just time to enjoy what it's currently offering.

Man the guy at the dealership even talked about a 5-10% AC runoff. You guys are lucky.

SoCal you can get away with no A/C for a large portion of the year :)

One of the things I find pretty funny is the big push to preorder. If they are able to produce as many as they say, pre-ordering should not be all that necessary.

So you can go to a party this weekend and tell the Joneses you just pre-ordered the new Tesla silly.

Do you think many folks will grab the Bolt if it comes out earlier? I'd rather wait for the Tesla...Just for the plain fact that it looks soooooooo much better.

Yep. When those credit card bills come due next month I see a bit of a fall off. Also, since we are at least 2 years from any real distribution a large number will abandon when the need/demand/want for a new car becomes immediate.

I think GM benefits from this rush as well if they can get the Bolt on lots sooner then later. People will cancel orders and take in stock inventory.

Do you think many folks will grab the Bolt if it comes out earlier? I'd rather wait for the Tesla...Just for the plain fact that it looks soooooooo much better.

I think that would be much more likely if GM had taken a cue from Tesla and made a car that looks decent AND is a great Electric car. Instead of going the BMW and Volt route and making a hideous vehicle that no one would even begin to consider paying 38K for if it weren't electric.

The Model 3 is a bit disappointing appearance wise considering how sexy the Model S is, but it's still 1000 miles ahead of the Bolt.

Walked through the Tesla showroom at Easton Mall in Columbus and was very impressed with what we saw. Definitely a ponder for our next vehicle.

One thing about Tesla's is that they look great. What other electric car looks as good? All these other cars are FUGLY.

It's only money.....why not?

If you're even having a LITTLE bit of second thoughts, then I'd say no.

One thing about Tesla's is that they look great. What other electric car looks as good? All these other cars are FUGLY.

Agreed, they are the only manufacturer that make appealing cars that just so happen to be Electric cars or even very fuel efficient hybrids. Lexus and maybe a couple others have had some decent cars that were hybrids, but they were more performance oriented than efficient.

Gonna agree with everyone else, if you are starting a business it'd be a big no for me.

Yeah, if you are starting a business no reason to put out any expenses that aren't absolutely necessary (like golf for example). I would wait, might as well see how things shake out.

They definitely do, although thats a subjective thing.
However spending 100k or 50k for a car, it better be good looking at personal taste.

does anyone here in thp world have one of these and do a lot of cross-country travel? we routinely drive to opelika, which is about 400 miles. on a 250 mile charge, that puts us right around tifton, georgia. how do i know whether there will be a charging station in tifton? if you're traveling somewhere new, how do you map out a route that will have charging stations?

Back