Swinging with your feet?

beeDoubleU

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, so I apologize if this is the wrong thread...

I remember hearing a quote attributed to Sam Snead, that "good golfers swing with their hands, but great golfers swing with their feet." I guess he was talking about using the core muscles and lower body to activate the swing. Is this what is meant when people say their using the ground for leverage? I've been trying to swing with my body rather than my hands, and I feel like I can do this best when I hit balls wearing running sneakers rather than golf shoes. Does anyone else have this issue? What would be a good feel or drill to help one become more conscious of one's foot pressure in the golf swing?

I don't necessarily have a drill but I was and tend to make my mistakes when I try and swing with my arms. As of late though I've focused on using my feet/lead leg. What I try and concentrate on is my firing mechanism. In order to to clear the hips you have to make space and for me to do that I will start my downswing by straightening my lead leg so I can clear the hips and use my core to swing the club.

I noticed I'm less tired and my shoulder blades don't hurt after a round or range seams soon. However make sure you maintain some knee flex through the backswing.

This is just my style and it has helped me out tremendously with making sure I make solid contact and a piercing ball flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's break down the golf swing for a minute. What moves the club to the top of your swing? Shoulder and arms, working together.

Now, these same two body parts have to get back to a starting point. How do they do that? The same way you got them there. The should rotate back to sqaure and the arms swing back down. The shoulders have a short distance to travel, while the arms have to travel further. That means there needs to be more speed associated with the arms. The key is to.find the proper speed between shoulders and arms so that one is not left behind (tempo)

I like to start the down swing with the hips releasing which triggers the shoulders and allows the arms to swing down and thru. If the hips start the process, the shoulders will follow and then add some arm swing to your finish. If one is to.fast then you'll be out of sync. Find the proper tempo.

Now what Sam.was talking about if actually for movement. The back foot drives into the turf as you push off and front foot tends to open or move toward the target. It's the sign of a power move in better players. There is so much tension built up in the back swing that as it's released the feet move.

I think running shoes allow this type of movement for you. I'd advise you keep working on the game and maybe invest in some of the new spikeless golf shoes like Puma Faas Lite2, Nike has a few that really allow you to be free with the feet and maybe Ecco. Foot movement is good as long it's a by product of the rest of your swing.

Thanks Freddie. This is making sense to me now. I'm going to work on these swing keys, and report back.

Freddie is definitely right on the Pumas. Very comfortable shoes and always runnin great deals on sites.

Sign up to receive Pumas emails. Around Christmas they run 50% off everything. I always get multiple golf shoes, shirts, and other stuff.

Brian something that works for me is practicing barefoot, or in my FiveFingers, or minimalist shoes that have zero drop heel to toe and no arch support

Freddie is definitely right on the Pumas. Very comfortable shoes and always runnin great deals on sites.

Sign up to receive Pumas emails. Around Christmas they run 50% off everything. I always get multiple golf shoes, shirts, and other stuff.

Thanks cmedina! I didn't think to look at the cobra/puma site. I'll check it out.

Brian something that works for me is practicing barefoot, or in my FiveFingers, or minimalist shoes that have zero drop heel to toe and no arch support

Thanks Jason! I've thought about practicing barefoot, but haven't done it yet. I might try it when the weather warms up.

Yeah I recommend waiting till their isn't snow on the ground :)

Back