Bushnell Tour v4 Slope Edition Laser Rangefinder - THP Review Thread

What is stopping you guys from going with the Tour X? Or what is about the Tour V4 Slope that makes you want to wait?

When I first heard of the V4 I was going to wait....but I was able to pick up the Tour X for the same MSRP of the V4 slope.
Tour X has DDT and higher magnification. V4 I believe is smaller...maybe DDEC can post a picture of them side by side. In the end...the smaller size of the V4 wasn't enough for me to wait...especially if I could get the Tour X for the same price. Honestly though, if the V4 had DDT, the decision would have been a lot harder.

I am still curious and eagerly awaiting a more in-depth review of the V4!!

When I first heard of the V4 I was going to wait....but I was able to pick up the Tour X for the same price as the MSRP of the V4 slope.
Tour X has DDT and higher magnification. V4 I believe is smaller...maybe DDEC can post a picture of them side by side. In the end...the smaller size of the V4 wasn't enough for me to wait...especially if I could get the Tour X for the same price.

I am still curious and eagerly awaiting a more in-depth review of the V4!!

unfortunately I do not have a Tour X handy. Unless I get together with mpeterson this weekend. If that happens, I will gladly do so.

unfortunately I do not have a Tour X handy. Unless I get together with mpeterson this weekend. If that happens, I will gladly do so.

I have a V3 I think we need to tee it up

Great review but I still find it funny to see "tour certified" but yet they can't use them in a round.

Must Have.

Great photos ddec! I've always wondered if upgrading my device was necessary. Now I have a feeling I do.

Im with you on this

What is stopping you guys from going with the Tour X? Or what is about the Tour V4 Slope that makes you want to wait?

It's a couple of minor things for me I guess. Cost would be one and the other is I have the V3 now and am just comfortable with the "Tour V..." Family. I know each unit is different in many ways, just a comfort thing for me I guess

I have the v2 and like the v series. If I can get similar speeds for locking on target and the ability have or not have slope for less money then it makes sense. The tour x is nice and I played a couple rounds with it but for what I use it for I don't think the extra cash would be worth it

I have the v2 and like the v series. If I can get similar speeds for locking on target and the ability have or not have slope for less money then it makes sense. The tour x is nice and I played a couple rounds with it but for what I use it for I don't think the extra cash would be worth it

I got the tour X for $399 on Amazon, currently 418 I think. So unless you are getting the regular v4...its really not any cheaper.

I'd appreciate if someone can note the differences between the V4 and Z6 Jolt?

I love the compactness of this new range finder. And it's fast, oh is it fast!

Is it easy to line up with the flag? I always have trouble holding my hands still enough which is why I typically just use a GPS!

I'd appreciate if someone can note the differences between the V4 and Z6 Jolt?

looking at specs..the z6 has vivid display, 6x vs 5x magnification, longer range and 1/2yrd vs 1 yrd accuracy. Z6 does not have slope technology. Whether the z6 has higher quality opticals I don't know...but other than that it's ergonomics.

Last edited:
looking at specs..the z6 has vivid display, 6x vs 5x magnification, longer range and 1/2yrd vs 1 yrd accuracy. Z6 does not have slope technology. Whether the z6 has higher quality opticals I don't know...but other than that it's ergonomics.

Thanks. I did not see any radical differences and not many reviews on the Z6. If Similar in price, I'll get the V4 assuming it has the latest and greatest.

I really want to try one of these out for a period of time to see if it improves my game. My only experience with them is when I've played with someone else and gotten a yardage from them.

First off, let me say a huge thank you to Bushnell and to THP for the contest and the ability to own a new Bushnell v4 Slope Edition.

Although I have borrowed a friends rangefinder a few times, years ago, this is the first time really using one. The rangefinder I borrowed was very difficult to use, difficult to hold still for yardage, and was just slow to use. Because of that experience I've only used a gps for the past 5 years or so. I really like being able to see the layout of the hole, especially a new course, and yardages to hidden hazards. I thought a rangefinder would be a supplement to my gps, especially the slope information.

Saturday I played at a course I'm not too familiar with and it was my first chance to use the v4. I spent a good bit of time reading directions and information on the v4, as well as playing around at home to become familiar with it's features. Understand that because it is my first such device I didn't have familiarity with another rangefinder to have to adjust to...sometimes a benefit. I found the v4 very easy to understand. The single control button was easy to use and in no time I felt comfortable with what I was doing but the real test came on the course. I still used my gps for layout and hidden hazards but the actual yardages to visible hazards and especially the pin was invaluable. Jolt technology is outstanding and left no doubt when the target was acquired. The v4 is incredibly quick, easy to aim, and an absolute pleasure to use. Honestly most of the time I forgot I had my gps. The slope feature is awesome. Although not much elevation change in the course I played, I'm convinced the slope yardage saved me from under clubbing on two occasions, keeping me out of two nasty bunkers!

To sum it up;
Pros...small, extremely fast, critically accurate, ease of use, slope feature, quality functional case.

Cons...don't bother, I don't have any.

It's pretty nice to have my first rangefinder be the Bushnell v4 Slope Edition. I can't imagine a better rangefinder available. I'm a convert and on more familiar courses my gps might get lonely. Having both devices on unfamiliar courses means bad scores will have nothing to do incorrect yardages...I think that means I'm out of excuses!

Good stuff bmongi. Glad you are enjoying it.

Can someone quickly explain the difference between the Tour X and the Tour V4? they look to be similar minus the 'lens' that you change out. I know the V4 i believe is electronically set to slope/ non slope. Any other real differences?

I've never used the Tour X but Bushnell specs indicate at least these differences:

Tour V4 Tour X
waterproof----------- rainproof
400 yards------------ 450 yards
5X magnification---- 6X magnification (I think)
The V4 is also smaller and lighter and you are correct about the slope functions.

i like waterproof over rain proof, and who shoots more than 400 yards anyway? Looks like V4 is the way to go. I also like not futz'n with those caps on the end to go slope/non slope.

I agree on all points. I'm loving my Tour V4.

Can someone quickly explain the difference between the Tour X and the Tour V4? they look to be similar minus the 'lens' that you change out. I know the V4 i believe is electronically set to slope/ non slope. Any other real differences?

I've never used the Tour X but Bushnell specs indicate at least these differences:

Tour V4 Tour X
waterproof----------- rainproof
400 yards------------ 450 yards
5X magnification---- 6X magnification (I think)
The V4 is also smaller and lighter and you are correct about the slope functions.

Other differences not noted here are that the TourX has DDT and is accurate to 1/2yrd vs 1 yrd on the V4. I'm certainly not good enough that 1/2yrd makes a difference...but the DDT is certainly a nice feature. Bushnell site lists the V4 as water resistant...so I'm not sure it really is water proof. Their site also lists the TourX as having ESP2 which it doesn't list for the v4.

Another round with the v4 slope edition and the slope feature really impressed me. I'm surprised how often I used to underestimate distance when elevation change was involved. Also fantastic how quickly and positively it acquires its target. Considering how shakey my hands can be, I have no problem getting my distances with this device. Only when trying to shoot very long distances in strong winds do I ever have difficulty finding yardage. The v4 is a winner and I confident you won't be disappointed.

As a THP and Bushnell Tour V4 Slope Edition Contest Winner - THANK YOU!

Background: I wanted to wait and post after a few rounds with it. I have only borrowed a friends laser and never owned one. I usually use the Hole19 app and really like it. I am new to playing golf in the South as I came from Phoenix, AZ. I play in very hilly courses north of Atlanta and knew this slope edition would be awesome.

Use: I played two rounds and some range time with the Bushnell V4. I had a very tough time at first getting good distances, I kept getting the trees in the background. The flags at both courses don't have prisms to help with the laser so I attributed that. I don't think I have very shaky hands, but I did have a tough time for most of the first round. I kept having to use my GPS to get distances. A few distances were off for some reasons and they were shorter than the GPS said. I am not sure what I was doing wrong.

When I started getting used to it in the second round I REALLY like the slope help with all the hills. I know that the slope correction helped me with so many shots. I normally just guess from what the GPS says and estimate what club to take. The slope correction is a HUGE help. In addition, the JOLT feature is really cool when you know you have the flag. The JOLT only came on a few times and those are the times I new I had the right distance. The JOLT gave me a lot of confidence. I will say that it tough when you barely see the flag when it is uphill and tough to get the laser to work off the flag. If anyone has any suggestion of what I am doing wrong I would appreciate it.

I really like the laser and very thankful I won this. I appreciate that THP and Bushnell would give one these very expensive lasers. I don't want anyone to think I am talking bad about the V4, I think it is operator error. I know right now I cannot go without my GPS until I get this laser thing figured out. I did think it would be much easier than it was.

Opinion: My my opinion is that USGA should ALWAYS allow the use of this laser in ALL tournaments. PGA tour should allow this just to speed up play. I used to caddy in the 90's, so I know getting yardage is getting yardage. Yes, maybe the slope should not be used in tournaments because estimating elevation variations is an art (and it should be). The use of the laser is a MUST in all types of play just to speed up the game. Look at studies, the game of golf is not growing and the biggest complaint is how long a round takes. Why can't we employ and means possible to speed up the game. The use of a yardage measuring device is a must! I hope this new rule change will further expand to use in all tournaments.

If anyone has any comments or questions I would appreciate it.

Thank you again and again to THP and Bushnell.

Last edited:
Bushnell Tour v4 Slope Edition Laser Rangefinder - THP Review Thread

I want to add that a Bushnell Golf rep has contacted me about my problems and it was awesome talking to him. Just want to say that Bushnell Golf Customer Service is TOP NOTCH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back