Going to Scottsdale in February - Some Course Advice Please

spaceace414

Reaction score
Handicap
My wife has a conference starting February 5th and I am going along for the week to play golf. We are staying in an area called Old Town (not familiar with Scottsdale at all) but I know there are tons of courses in the area. I went to Phoenix last year with my buddy and we played a Troon course in the southeast area and was fun.

Is the TPC course worth the money? I really don't like spending that much money on a round of golf, but this is a pro course and it will be just after the tournament, so that is tempting. I have read positive things and negative things. Also, any locals there know a way to get a discounted round?

What other courses in the area are worth playing and will not cost me a small fortune?

I played two courses there this past March. One was in Queen Creek, too far away from where you'll be. However, if its not too far away try the course below, its not too expensive and it was nice. We booked tee times on Golf Now and I want to say it was about $40.

Red Mountain Ranch Country Club
6425 E Teton Cir, Mesa, AZ 84215

My wife has a conference starting February 5th and I am going along for the week to play golf. We are staying in an area called Old Town (not familiar with Scottsdale at all) but I know there are tons of courses in the area. I went to Phoenix last year with my buddy and we played a Troon course in the southeast area and was fun.

Is the TPC course worth the money? I really don't like spending that much money on a round of golf, but this is a pro course and it will be just after the tournament, so that is tempting. I have read positive things and negative things. Also, any locals there know a way to get a discounted round?

What other courses in the area are worth playing and will not cost me a small fortune?

TPC - No, it is not worth the 300.00 they will be charging. The course is mediocre at best unless you REALLY want to play a course the pros play. You would be better served playing the Champions course. Its a lot cheaper.

If you are looking for good courses in the area you will be staying, here are some suggestions:

Talking Stick North or South - Always in great shape and deals can be found
Camelback Golf Club - Ambiente (NOT PADRE!) - Very underrated track. Lots of native grasses and designed to challenge long hitters but be receptive to shorter ones.
We-Ko-Pa Cholla or Saguaro - Little bit of a drive but worth it.
Whilrwind Golf Club - Also a bit of a drive but great courses
Southern Dunes - Worth the drive, probably 45 minutes from where you are staying.

Any of the courses in the Scottsdale area are going to get approx. 100.00-150.00 per round that time of year. If you can play midweek in the afternoon you will get your prices down.

Would add Troon North and Wildfire to the ones Fuppy mentioned.

The LPGA plays their Founders Cup event at Wildfire in mid March.

I would have suggested Troon North but he was looking for something that didnt cost a small fortune :)

Thought it was possible to find rounds there in the $150 neighborhood, but honestly, I haven't really looked in the highest season.

About TPC. That is about the only time you would want to pay the money to play it is right after the tourney for the experience. The stands are still up so 16 isn't just a run of the mill 150 yd par 3. The conditions are tour level. Other than that TPC during the winter is robbery.

Another course I would add would be Papago. It is a muni and is rough around the edges but it is decent price and very walkable. It is a solid track that just isn't as manicured.
Another high end one would be Grayhawk (Raptor over Talon for me). Also if you want to get a lesson in the younger Kostis is there. It would be a splurge but just an idea.

I would echo TPC being not all that exciting. Definitely not worth the money. Have played Talking Stick, it was nice but not overly special.

We-Ko-Pa and Grayhawk (Raptor) were both excellent. Would play either one of those a second time, next chance I have to be in Scottsdale.

I played Wildfire in May for a work event. It was in very good shape and a lot of fun to play. I would play it again.

The year before, we played TPC for the same event. I will say I was a bit disappointed. Still in May, but it was pretty dry. It was a nice course, don't get me wrong, but I was expecting it to be a grade above a lot of other courses. It wasn't for me.

I played TPC right after the Phoenix Open and it was worth the money just to play 16 in the stadium - there is nothing like it. The front is boring as it can get, but the back 9 is fun. However, there is no way I would play TPC Stadium when it's at normal playing conditions.

The We-Ko-Pa courses are my favorite public courses there. Saguro has very wide fairways, but still challenging while Cholla feels like more traditional desert target golf. If you are up for it, play both courses the same day.

Troon North all day..We played 36 there over the summer for a bachelor party and it was amazing..

Great responses. I am taking lots of notes and saving this thread!

Wow, Troon North is pretty pricey. Close to $200 a tee time (looking at next week for comparison)

Troon North

Troon North

I would have suggested Troon North but he was looking for something that didnt cost a small fortune :)

echo what someone said about golfnow...I find their hot tee times...I played Kierland twice, Troon North, Wildfire and Padre for 250 bucks for all 5 rounds thanks to golfnow...

Wildfire is full of sand, if you don't mind that very fun track.
Kierland was meh but since that is where we were staying it worked.

Troon Monument north chewed me up, spit me out and that had a dog drop a log on me but I would play it again in a heartbeat, great views, memorable holes.
Padre was my favorite, I saw someone earlier in the thread really blast it, I liked it personally. A little forgiving, some fun holes, and for me it was a good experience but caveat emptor....most people echo what the other guy said.

Would you guys play Troon North or Grayhawk given the choices?
And which course at Troon North if it's Troon North?

Would you guys play Troon North or Grayhawk given the choices?
And which course at Troon North if it's Troon North?

I would rank Pinnacle, Raptor, Monument, Talon. Just know both of those facilities are popular so a lot of people come to play them. A lot of people also play the wrong tees. Bring a camera as there will be time to take pictures.

If I win my Fantasy Football league this year I may play one of those "nice" courses!

So I did win a big pot in my Fantasy Football league and am open to playing some higher priced courses. I kept looking at playing TPC since I will actually be there right after the tournament, but I also re-read what you guys are saying and it is probably not worth $250 or more when I can play Troon North for $100 less.

I am looking at my TeeOff.com app and see some courses at The Phoenician. Anyone played there and have feedback? I will be playing three days in a row.

I see Camelback popping up on my app too for less than $100 (either course).

How does the Champions course at TPC rank versus Camelback or some of the others?

I would play Ambiente at Camelback before Champions. It's a very unique track that I enjoy immensely.

Phoenician is pretty solid. It's shorter and there are three 9s so I would ask for Oasis and Canyons.

Phoenician is pretty solid. It's shorter and there are three 9s so I would ask for Oasis and Canyons.

I disagree. Oasis is a terrible 9. Desert is better. Canyons is the best 9 of the bunch. However, I recommend playing somewhere other than the Phoenician, unless you are staying on site.

TPC right after the tourney is not a bucket list course, but it would be cool to say you played it. I would not play Stadium then, but that is me.

Fupresti's list earlier in the thread remains solid advice. If you feel like travelling, then head to Southen Dunes or Quintero, but both are pushing an hour from Old Town.

TPC - No, it is not worth the 300.00 they will be charging. The course is mediocre at best unless you REALLY want to play a course the pros play. You would be better served playing the Champions course. Its a lot cheaper.

If you are looking for good courses in the area you will be staying, here are some suggestions:

Talking Stick North or South - Always in great shape and deals can be found
Camelback Golf Club - Ambiente (NOT PADRE!) - Very underrated track. Lots of native grasses and designed to challenge long hitters but be receptive to shorter ones.
We-Ko-Pa Cholla or Saguaro - Little bit of a drive but worth it.
Whilrwind Golf Club - Also a bit of a drive but great courses
Southern Dunes - Worth the drive, probably 45 minutes from where you are staying.

Any of the courses in the Scottsdale area are going to get approx. 100.00-150.00 per round that time of year. If you can play midweek in the afternoon you will get your prices down.

So with money no object, what three or four courses would you rank then? I have decided against TPC. There are a lot of good suggestions here and I keep hearing about Troon. Or are you sticking with your original list?

So with money no object, what three or four courses would you rank then? I have decided against TPC. There are a lot of good suggestions here and I keep hearing about Troon. Or are you sticking with your original list?

Troon North - Monument and Pinnacle
We-Ko-Pa - Cholla and Saguaro

My top 4 in order are Wekopa Saguaro, Southern Dunes, Troon North Pinnacle, and Camelback Ambiente. Grayhawk Raptor is also a good choice. That is the money list. If you want cheaper then those can be added. Quientero gets brought up a lot. There are some fabulous views and the course has always been in great shape when I have played.....but......I have never seen the pace of play be anywhere near 4:30 much less 4 hrs. There are some gimmick holes. If you go you won't be disappointed with the course but you will shake your head at some of the holes.

Another note about TPC, the Champions course is nice but that is where they stage a lot of the TV equipment during the tourney so if you aren't gonna pay the money for Stadium, the champions may not be in the best shape either.

And the Phoencian is a nice place for food and drinks but I have never heard anyone say the golf is worth the trip. I have played 2 nines there and there are so many other choices.

Back