Callaway Apex Hybrid Review Thread

Just looking for a 2-3 iron replacement don't know that I will be replacing a 4 or 5 iron ever. Stranger things have happened though

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
When my apex cf get here I'll have a dilemma on the top end as well but that will be fun

I'm going to get back out with this in Sunday, and will hope to have more feedback. Looking at some of the other 4 hybrids I've gamed, it actually isn't that small, and I'll get some pictures tonight to show relative size to J40 4hy and D-100 4hy, along with my 20* Adams pro hybrid.

CAA, this is completely a guess on my part, but I wonder if you'll know more about an upcoming Callaway hybrid that's not as iron-like as the Apex after the PGA Show. What I mean is either an XR replacement or an upgrade on that club. Also, FWIW, the Big Bertha 815 hybrid isn't listed on Callaway's site anymore in the hybrid section, maybe a replacement is coming for that model.
Thanks Ary...that is definitely something I'll look for there.

Along Arys thinking. The big bertha hybrid is easy to hit and launch with pretty good forgiveness. If you are looking for a hybrid this may be the one to consider. Or if looking for some confidence a heavenwood or divine 9
I need to give all of those a look.

Got a pic over lunch comparing the Apex 4hy to the Bridgestone J40 4hy, Wilson D-100 4hy, and the Adams Pro 20* (3hy). The Apex definitely looks like a better player's hybrid, and I'll make sure to hit it some more on Sunday to comment on whether it plays like a better player's hybrid. Early impressions is that it is more forgiving than it looks while not being full on SGI.

20fff523d3f7c5126d91f2548fcdb77e.jpg

For the grandaddy crew during your fitting did you go through different shaft options and if so which ones and what were the results/differences.

i am debating between the KK, fujikura and project x

For the grandaddy crew during your fitting did you go through different shaft options and if so which ones and what were the results/differences.

Not grandaddy alum but I say the stock shaft is a wonderful pairing. That's coming from a guy that doesn't play stock shaft in any other clubs atm. Take that for what it's worth lol.

Not grandaddy alum but I say the stock shaft is a wonderful pairing. That's coming from a guy that doesn't play stock shaft in any other clubs atm. Take that for what it's worth lol.

Concur, I love the KK stock shaft in this hybrid.

I hit I believe 4 different pairings. I can't recall what all they were but we started with the KK and I ended up fit into a graphite design AD hybo shaft because it brought my flight to a better level in terms of peak and spin. They didn't have those so while on the tour Ethan from Callaway was a go-between to we could get something that would work similarly in there from what Callaway had in shop. Super pleased with these Speeder HB's.

That said, the stock shaft is nice.

To be honest, I did not. I hit the stock combo. We decided on the head, and then when it came time to place my order down I picked a hybrid shaft that I've enjoyed the heck out of for years.

I only tried the stock and it worked so well we didn't look elsewhere.

This was the last club I was fit into and I was hitting Kuro Kage so well that's what we went with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, thats unexpected, but hey guess there's a first time for everything :D

Concur, I love the KK stock shaft in this hybrid.

thanks, I think we have similar swings/faults.

I hit I believe 4 different pairings. I can't recall what all they were but we started with the KK and I ended up fit into a graphite design AD hybo shaft because it brought my flight to a better level in terms of peak and spin. They didn't have those so while on the tour Ethan from Callaway was a go-between to we could get something that would work similarly in there from what Callaway had in shop. Super pleased with these Speeder HB's.

That said, the stock shaft is nice.

the graphite ad was on my mind, not sure I want go pay the upcharge, but if my fitter hold true to a promise it may be in play, but based on demo of 3h I may not need the flight to be brought down.

This was the last club I was fit into and I was hitting Kuro Kage so well that's what we went with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks. I like the KK, it's been one that's been hit or miss with me depending on club/OEM.

Appreciate all the responses and honesty. I should be able to make a decision a quickly with this info and another demo session

Love love this hybrid I hit it off the tee a bit today as well off the fairway. Great distance , nice high launch with lower spin still, enough forgiveness for what I am looking for. Great feel and sound. Not sure what else I could ask for in a hybrid. The profile is perfect to my eye as well

Love love this hybrid I hit it off the tee a bit today as well off the fairway. Great distance , nice high launch with lower spin still, enough forgiveness for what I am looking for. Great feel and sound. Not sure what else I could ask for in a hybrid. The profile is perfect to my eye as well

Told you so lol

I had the 4 hybrid in the bag today in a 3 club tournament....came out pretty excited about the future with this and the 5 in the bag.

Played in a 15-20 wind all day and had some shots where I tried (and succeeded) in flighting down with a chopped off swing. Downwind I was able to tee low and swing normal with solid results. Even had 130 to a pin dead into the wind and choked down/chopped swing to about 30 feet behind the flag.

What probably surprised me the most was that on into the wind shots I was able to play a nice little fade/cut. Not a shot I usually have in the bag but the "non-draw" bias of this club lets me play that shot without issue.

Hands down this and the X2Hot are the best hybrids I've played.....and I've played a ton over the years.

I had the 4 hybrid in the bag today in a 3 club tournament....came out pretty excited about the future with this and the 5 in the bag.

Played in a 15-20 wind all day and had some shots where I tried (and succeeded) in flighting down with a chopped off swing. Downwind I was able to tee low and swing normal with solid results. Even had 130 to a pin dead into the wind and choked down/chopped swing to about 30 feet behind the flag.

What probably surprised me the most was that on into the wind shots I was able to play a nice little fade/cut. Not a shot I usually have in the bag but the "non-draw" bias of this club lets me play that shot without issue.

Hands down this and the X2Hot are the best hybrids I've played.....and I've played a ton over the years.

i was just coming in here to ask if anyone has tried flighting this or playing punch shots. It's one of the things I like about my 4i when I need to keep a shot low. Glad to know it can be done

i was just coming in here to ask if anyone has tried flighting this or playing punch shots. It's one of the things I like about my 4i when I need to keep a shot low. Glad to know it can be done

Yes it can without question. And I was launching stupid high with a normal shot for reference.

Got out with the apex 4h again today, and am still trying to figure it out. It isn't as point and shoot as what I'm used to in that slot, but when I hit it well it flies high and far, but I missed a few times today where it wouldn't elevate and went right harder than I would have liked. Maybe some range time will help me figure it out because right now it's not giving me the performance I want in that slot.

Got out with the apex 4h again today, and am still trying to figure it out. It isn't as point and shoot as what I'm used to in that slot, but when I hit it well it flies high and far, but I missed a few times today where it wouldn't elevate and went right harder than I would have liked. Maybe some range time will help me figure it out because right now it's not giving me the performance I want in that slot.
When you connected on that thing it went high and far!

And really even your misses were acceptable, still got the distance out of it, not the height!

I appreciate the honesty. Your prior gamer was money for you so the bar was raised high.

It is definitely not going to be the most forgiving hybrid in the lineup. For that they have XR and Big Bertha. It is definitely an iron replacement for those that want to be able to flight it, all the while still gaining forgiveness on the irons.

For the lower (3 hybrid), I went XR. For the 5, I went Apex.

It is definitely not going to be the most forgiving hybrid in the lineup. For that they have XR and Big Bertha. It is definitely an iron replacement for those that want to be able to flight it, all the while still gaining forgiveness on the irons.

For the lower (3 hybrid), I went XR. For the 5, I went Apex.

Precisely why I love them so much, I much prefer an iron replacement than an all out distance monster. I loved my XR, but these are shockingly easy for me to launch and control, as well as hitting to consistent numbers.

I won't lie, last 3 times out with them I've been stunned at the height I'm seeing, actually makes me sort of wish I'd gone 3hy instead of heavenwood.

Def not the most forgiving in the line, but that's why I'm so impressed Callaway has options for all different needs. Philly getting fit to the xr was fun as heck to see.

Back