so you grab an iron from your bag and ....

Other than my 50* which is the only black club right now, I always try to remember to double check my iron/wedge # before hitting. definitely done it before, so I try to limit the occasions that happens because it can make things end up pretty bad haha.

I've done that before with the 6 and 9 iron. Hit my 6 and thought it was my 9. Thankfully, brain was thinking 9 and caught the 6 fat and actually ended up on the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think everyone has done it, I agree that with my 14 way bag now I have the 6 and the 9 on opposite sides of the bag so that is eliminated but I still will occasionally pull the wrong club. Nothing as drastic as the 6 and 9 gap but mostly wedges now.

I typically catch it if it's a big difference. Usually if it happens with me it's when I'm deciding between two clubs and take them both to the ball. I then drop the wrong club.

Not having a set gap wedge has thrown me off and I sometimes grab my 54 and not my 50 but I catch myself before the club is all the way out of the bag.

I've done it a couple of times, but nine lately. Now that I say that I'll do it twice during my next round.

Oh yeah. I've definitely done it. Does not happen often. Maybe once or twice a year. Worst was hitting a 5 when I wanted to hit a 7. I don't even know how I could have possibly mixed those two up.

6 and 9, not so much. partly because i'm worried about it so I always check

now, when i grab my 54 and 58 to go to a ball, I seem to get them mixed up and hit the wrong one - 4-5 times in the last month. Other day, hit a great 58 that just blew by the green because I actually swung the 54.

:banghead:

I'm pretty confident I have never done this, but will probably happen now that I've read this thread.

Not an iron (lately) but I often get my 5w and 3w mixed up...usually because I mix up the head covers when I clean them!

One day, I went to get a drink of water out of the back door knob instead of the refrigerator spicket. I no longer feel badly about that.

Did that in high school practice, mixed up the 6 and 9... ended up flying the green and landing in the parking lot ... luckily it dodged the cars and clubhouse.... this is not a lie :(

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I had the problem in the past with 3 wedges, now my 48 is a chrome finish and the 54 and 58 are rusted. Helps confusion and other clubs have not been a problem as of yet .

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

One day, I went to get a drink of water out of the back door knob instead of the refrigerator spicket. I no longer feel badly about that.

How about putting the cereal in the fridge and the milk in the cabinet?
Nothing like coming home later that evening to find a box of cereal in the fridge and laugh but then realize a spoiled half gallon of milk is in the warm cabinet that the cereal was suppose to be in. DDDOOOHHHH!!!

Oh yeah. I've definitely done it. Does not happen often. Maybe once or twice a year. Worst was hitting a 5 when I wanted to hit a 7. I don't even know how I could have possibly mixed those two up.

That's exactly my last post when I bumped the thread. my 5 vs my 7.
And what makes it worse, I have covers with huge numbers. But we sometimes fail to pay attention and grab without noticing.

I've done it a few times and each time beer was involved.

I've done it one time, I was ten years old. Grabbed a 7i instead of a 4i. No clue....Chipped up, missed the putt, made bogey. I've never made the "grabbed the wrong club" mistake ever again

I've done it in the past, mostly with my 54/58 that look identical. I've gotten better at looking down and realizing that I have the wrong club, a testament to loads of practice and paying attention.

I sometimes to that with my wedges ... I think I know the slot they are in and just grab it quickl

I've done it a few times. Last one was just a month or so ago when I walked a pitch and putt course. Hole #1 I grabbed my PW instead of SW and put it about 2 ft over the green and it bounced down the backside and OB. My clubs go in to particular slots in my bag and I somehow mixed up my headcovers after cleaning them. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I did it a month ago on #18 at Pilgrims Oak. I had 138 to the green, in between a pw and 9, so I grab my 9 because you have to carry a pond, and the 9 gives me more leeway for a mishit. I hit it flush, and it takes off like a bullet, and thankfully hits the big hill behind the green, because if it was up another 5 feet I'm breaking windshields in the parking lot! I stood there with this dumbfounded look on my face, and say to myself " boy did you pick wrong!" I then look at the club, and yep - it was my 6!

Last edited:
I haven't done it since I got a 14 way divider bag. Before that I'd do it maybe once or twice a year.

Isn't this what a mulligan is for? lol.

I've grabbed the 6 iron instead of the PW and flushed it 40 yds past the green and out of bounds and still going. And stood there wondering how I hit a PW iron that far. Then looked. The 6 iron is in the divider right above my PW. "You gotta be kidding me." Pitching wedge for a second shot on a short 400 yd par 5. Yes, I'd really bombed the drive. It was hot outside, too. I'll blame the heat. Still....

Isn't this what a mulligan is for?

I've done it woth the 6 and 9 a few times. I guess the line under the # isn't enough for me.

I have just bought a new TM bag to go with my new(ish) clubs.
Playing in a competition at the club a month or so ago, first time out with it.
Playing our shortish par 5 second, I nailed a drive. Best I've hit down there for ages.
Put me in a great position to go for the green, about 190 out, perfect fluffy lie, slightly down wind, and slightly downhill to the flag too.
Pulled out what I thought was my 5 iron, unzipped the cover (yes I use iron covers!!) and took a couple of practice swings. It felt really good, timing was spot on.
Took aim, swung, and I didn't even feel the ball leave the club. Flushed it. Looked up, and was horrified to see how high my ball was climbing. Came up a good 30 yards short, bounced a few times and I was left with a tricky little chip on over a bunker.
Couldn't understand it. Looked at the bottom of the club and there is was. A big fat number "7".
The dividers in my new bag are in totally different places to my old Cobra bag. I had reached automatically for where my 5 iron used to be and not checked.
I won't do it again.

Back