Majors at the Same Venue

My votes are:

US Open: Shinnecock (love how hard this course can play and how it can bring the players to their knees)
Open Championship: St. Andrews (it's just what comes to mind when you think of the tournament)
PGA Championship: Bethpage Black (great course, plays big and demands your best)

US Open - Pine Valley

Open - St. Andrews

PGA - Pebble

Man this is a tough one.

US Open - Bethpage Black
Open Championship - St. Andrews
PGA - Oak Hill East

Homer picks have two on my side of the states. But a lot of golfers have said a lot of great things about Oak Hill and as long as we don't get the rain and soften up the course it seems to be a pretty good test for the guys. I think Ernie Els said it was the toughest fairest golf course he's ever played.

US Open - Olympic Club
The Open - I like Carnoustie
The PGA - Winged Foot

Assuming the majors stay in the time of the year that they are currently:

US Open - Oakmont

British Open - Carnoustie

PGA - Either Valhalla or Whistling Straits.

My only problem with my own picks is the lack of West coast love. I feel like I want all 4 majors in different parts of the country

British- Turnberry Aisla
US Open-Riveria
PGA-Erin Hills

Assuming the majors stay in the time of the year that they are currently:

US Open - Oakmont

British Open - Carnoustie

PGA - Either Valhalla or Whistling Straits.

My only problem with my own picks is the lack of West coast love. I feel like I want all 4 majors in different parts of the country
I was thinking the same thing regarding the West Coast but to me there's just better venues elsewhere.
Pebble Beach has sort of been brought down by the ProAm there every year in my books. Every time I see golf there I just dont care about it.
Torrey is nice and difficult but same thing, watered down by the Tourney it already hosts.

If Chambers Bay ever gets it greens fixed for good with a grass that actually works in that climate I'd LOVE to see a major there. Until then it's just unworthy of a Major Championship.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the West Coast but to me there's just better venues elsewhere.
Pebble Beach has sort of been brought down by the ProAm there every year in my books. Every time I see golf there I just dont care about it.
Torrey is nice and difficult but same thing, watered down by the Tourney it already hosts.

If Chambers Bay ever gets it greens fixed for good with a grass that actually works in that climate I'd LOVE to see a major there. Until then it's just worthy of a Major Championship.
I agree with you on Torrey Pines and Pebble Beach, both great but watered down by being normal PGA Stops

Olympic Park does come to mind as a possibility.

I like the idea of the US Open being at a public course - something about the roots of the tournament putting it somewhere everyone can play fits to me. Put the PGA at TPC Sawgrass. I don't have a clue on the British.

The Open Championship: St. Andrews - Old Course (I personally can't see how it would be anywhere else, if there is not a rotation involved)
The US Open: Bethpage Black Course (I love the thought of having our country's "championship" being held at a public course)
The PGA: Whistling Straits (I just love the scenery, and the variety of shots required by the course)

The Open Championship: St. Andrews - Old Course (I personally can't see how it would be anywhere else, if there is not a rotation involved)
The US Open: Bethpage Black Course (I love the thought of having our country's "championship" being held at a public course)
The PGA: Whistling Straits (I just love the scenery, and the variety of shots required by the course)

Whistling Straights is one that I thought a lot about but the scores there were so low last time around. It's such a hard course for most but unless the wind is way up the Pros can just shred it.

I know it's the "easy pick" and scores could be low because of the lack of weather at times, but the British has to be at St. Andrews just for the history of the game.

The Open Championshio - Old Course at St. Andrews
US Open - Pebble Beach
PGA - Valhalla

US Open: Oakmont - It seems to define what the US Open has always been about.

British: Muirfield - No St. Andrews for me. If the weather isn't bad, the course is eaten alive by today's pros. But look at the list of champions at Muirfield: Nicklaus, Watson, Player, Faldo, Trevino, Mickelson, etc; it's a "who's who" kind of lineup. You don't get the odd Todd Hamilton or Ben Curtis at Muirfield.

PGA: Valhalla - This one is really hard because there are so many courses that overlap with the US Open. I picked Valhalla simply because of the familiarity factor. If the event was played at the same place every year, we'd grow to like the venue simply because we would know all the holes and all the shots. Valhalla is as good a place as any since it's already started to become familiar to golf fans.

Honorable mention: Whistling Straits (PGA) - My worry is that guys like Day can simply overpower this course, though.

Whistling Straights is one that I thought a lot about but the scores there were so low last time around. It's such a hard course for most but unless the wind is way up the Pros can just shred it.

Yep, the scoring was really good last time. Generally, the wind blows during that time of year, especially in the afternoons, so hopefully, that was just a aberration.

US Open: Pebble Beach

The Open: St Andrews (I'd love to see Kingsbarns added to the rotation)

PGA: Whistling Straits

US Open - Pebble
Open - St Andrews
PGA - Olympic Club

Man, this is pretty tough.

US Open: Bethpage Black
Open Championship: Carnoustie would be my pick but I don't think you could go wrong with most choices, though I would not include St. Andrews on my list.
PGA: Whistling Straits (semi-homer pick)

I don't know where I would place them. The only thing I do know is I wouldn't have them at a course that is already played during the PGA season.

The Open. St. Andrews
US open. Oakmont
PGA. Olympic club.

The Open: Carnoustie for the reasons others have mentioned. Unless you could guarantee gale force winds and rain at St Andrews

US Open: Pebble Beach. That course is so fun to watch when it's set up to be a monster.

PGA Championship: Medinah

Carnoustie for British

Merion for US

Valhalla for PGA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

US Open - Oakmont - classic course that they can get tough like the USGA likes it

Open Championship - Saint Andrews, home of golf, agree only defense is the weather but that's most of the open rota.

PGA - Pebble Beach

US Open: Shinnecock or Oakmont. These two are my favorite US Open Venues. Bethpage is great IMO, but thats being shifted to PGA rotation now for majors and RC.

Open Championship: Carnoustie - course is just so hard, even without the weather conditions.

PGA: Valhalla - Produces some fun golf and the finishes in the 3 PGA Championships there have all been crazy good. I would throw Atlanta Athletic Club in the mix, but two majors year after year just a few hours apart in proximity, I'll pass.

Shinnecock was another choice I was thinking after Oak Hill.

I'd put the British at St Andrews, the PGA at Baltusrol and the US Open at Bethpage Black

Back