deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Been reading a lot about them lately, so I'm going to give them a try tonight. Already have some Quaker Old Fashioned Oats, so going to buy some almond milk, greek yogurt and assorted berries to make some of my own. Anyone have any recipes they prefer? Saw one with peanut butter which looked pretty good as well.

Chocolate Peanut Butter:

• 1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 1 c. almond milk
  • 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp. peanut butter

Chocolate Overnight Oats:

• 1/4 c. almond milk
  • 6 oz. vanilla Greek yogurt
  • 1 heaping spoonful dark chocolate cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds

Oatmeal Cookie Dough Overnight Oats:

• 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of your choice), plus a bit more if necessary
  • 1/2 tablespoon honey
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Chocolate Peanut Butter:

• 1 1/2 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 1 c. almond milk
  • 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp. peanut butter

This one sounds goooood

Go on pinterest and search overnight oats. Thousands of recipes. Like I said in the health thread, for some reason Frozen raspberries put in the night before are the best. They melt into the mixture almost. So good.

If you don't want to do overnight oats, and want to add more protein to your oatmeal without adding more calories, add an egg white. You just have to stop every 30-45 seconds to mix everything so the egg whites don't form actual eggs. It makes the oatmeal super fluffy, it totally changed the texture which I really enjoy.

If you don't want to do overnight oats, and want to add more protein to your oatmeal without adding more calories, add an egg white. You just have to stop every 30-45 seconds to mix everything so the egg whites don't form actual eggs. It makes the oatmeal super fluffy, it totally changed the texture which I really enjoy.

I can never get the texture right so maybe I'll give this a try.

First day trying this and wow! Was it terrible!

I found a recipe online that suited both my wife and I. Oats, chia seeds, berries, liquid of choice and some vanilla extract. Then add some agave before eating.

It was super bitter and just odd to eat. Is this something people got "used" to?

I'm going to try the chocolate peanut butter Morgan posted and hope it's better than what I made...

I found a recipe online that suited both my wife and I. Oats, chia seeds, berries, liquid of choice and some vanilla extract. Then add some agave before eating.

It was super bitter and just odd to eat. Is this something people got "used" to?

I'm going to try the chocolate peanut butter Morgan posted and hope it's better than what I made...

I have never had overnight oats be bitter. It's always been sweet and creamy. I like it cold during the hot months and warm during the cold months. I usually add the fresh berries in the morning because I like the contrast in textures.

Start out slow and make things you know you like and then work your way into changing out ingredients for things a little healthier. Try this to start out with:

1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup almond milk (or regular milk)
1/3 cup of greek yogurt
2 teaspoons of nutella or cocoa powder
handful of frozen raspberries

It's not the healthiest but its a way to kind of start out and get the feel for what ingredients go good with other ingredients. Also make sure you put it into a container that can be sealed. My wife bought a 4 pack of small mason jars from Walmart for a few bucks and they work great.

I can never get the texture right so maybe I'll give this a try.

Let me know what you think. I find you can lightly taste the egg, but not enough that it bothered me. But make sure you stir it every 30 seconds or so, if you don't it will form eggs. That happened to me the first time and that was disgusting!

Please forgive my ignorance but what are over night oats?

Please forgive my ignorance but what are over night oats?

It's basically oatmeal that you make by mixing together and putting in the fridge overnight rather than cooking on the stove or the microwave. It's a solid breakfast, especially if you don't have a ton of time in the morning.

Went thru all the effort to make two jars of overnight oats last night, and left it in the fridge. Guess I will have them for dinner.

Overnight oats are basically oatmeal that, instead of getting the oats tender from boiling, you let milk (or other liquid) seep into them overnight. You can add other items to change texture or flavor as well.

I have never had overnight oats be bitter. It's always been sweet and creamy. I like it cold during the hot months and warm during the cold months. I usually add the fresh berries in the morning because I like the contrast in textures.

I'm not sure what I did wrong. Pretty hard to mess up but first attempts rarely work out...

Start out slow and make things you know you like and then work your way into changing out ingredients for things a little healthier. Try this to start out with:

1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup almond milk (or regular milk)
1/3 cup of greek yogurt
2 teaspoons of nutella or cocoa powder
handful of frozen raspberries

It's not the healthiest but its a way to kind of start out and get the feel for what ingredients go good with other ingredients. Also make sure you put it into a container that can be sealed. My wife bought a 4 pack of small mason jars from Walmart for a few bucks and they work great.

I'll give this a shot as well. Maybe we weren't ready for the texture or something. I'm thinking maybe the vanilla extract because straight extract is terrible but with the berries and milk it should have killed that IMO.

My go to recipe for this has always been:

1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt
2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup frozen strawberries cut into small pieces (about marble size)
1/4 cup frozen blueberries

I would always add a little bit more oats, and cut back on the almond milk a hair from what's listed above to make it just a little bit thicker and less watery. Delicious.

I'll give this a shot as well. Maybe we weren't ready for the texture or something. I'm thinking maybe the vanilla extract because straight extract is terrible but with the berries and milk it should have killed that IMO.

The texture for the one above should be just like regular oatmeal. Sometimes too much liquid or too much of something can make it way off. The one I made today was no bueno. I tried to just wing it and it had not alot of taste.

The texture for the one above should be just like regular oatmeal. Sometimes too much liquid or too much of something can make it way off. The one I made today was no bueno. I tried to just wing it and it had not alot of taste.

The one we made was pretty bland. The berries didn't even have much taste for some reason.

Here's to the next attempt :beer:

It's basically oatmeal that you make by mixing together and putting in the fridge overnight rather than cooking on the stove or the microwave. It's a solid breakfast, especially if you don't have a ton of time in the morning.
Is it the same consistency as hit cooked oatmeal?

Is it the same consistency as hit cooked oatmeal?

Depends on what you put in it but the ones I have made have had the consistency of oatmeal. You can even heat it up if you want. I prefer it cold.

Just got back from the store, got all sorts of stuff to start going this as an alternate to my morning smoothie. I'm pumped.

Just got back from the store, got all sorts of stuff to start going this as an alternate to my morning smoothie. I'm pumped.

Dont get discouraged if the first few attempts do go as well as you want. You will get the hang of it and will find stuff you like. I tried like 15 recipes before I found a few go -to's

Dont get discouraged if the first few attempts do go as well as you want. You will get the hang of it and will find stuff you like. I tried like 15 recipes before I found a few go -to's
Ah, little Splenda fixes everything hahahahaha

Also got some powdered peanut butter, that'll be perfect in these.

Ah, little Splenda fixes everything hahahahaha

Also got some powdered peanut butter, that'll be perfect in these.

Yeah the PB2 works great. Fresh blueberries and frozen raspberries have been the fruits that I have found to work best in them. And putting them in when you mix everything together vs in the morning has been best for me as well.

Yeah the PB2 works great. Fresh blueberries and frozen raspberries have been the fruits that I have found to work best in them. And putting them in when you mix everything together vs in the morning has been best for me as well.

I hadn't tried frozen raspberries before you mentioned it. Those were perfect.

Back