Majors at the Same Venue

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Masters gives us Augusta, others rotate around to many courses or are part of a rotation of a handful. If it were up to you, and you were putting the PGA, the British and the US Opens at a course where they would stay, where would they be and why?

I think the British is obviously going to be at Saint Andrews. I would put the PGA at somewhere like Vallhalla or whistling straits. U.S. Open stays on the West Coast and either Torrey south or Pebble Beach

• Admin
I think the British is obviously going to be at Saint Andrews. I would put the PGA at somewhere like Vallhalla or whistling straits. U.S. Open stays on the West Coast and either Torrey south or Pebble Beach

I think most will say St Andrews because of the history, but I would not go near it. The only defense that course has against the pros is weather, otherwise they slay it.

I honestly like the rotation for the other majors. But if I had to choose.

US open would be Pebble beach
Open championship would be St. Andrews
PGA championship would be TPC sawgrass

I would change the date of the TPC tournament to give it its shot at being an actual major for once. I think those last three holes would be fun watching who gets an actual major

US Open at Bethpage black or possibly Winged Foot
Open Championship @ Royal Troon
PGA @ Torrey Pines.

That would give us 3 distinct areas in the US and the British in Scotland, but I am open to other courses on all of these.

PGA- Valhalla. For some reason when I think of the PGA I associate Valhalla

USOpen- Oakmont. The US Open brings to mind classic designs with tough set ups and Oakmont fits that across the board

Open Championship- St. Andrews. It's the home of golf and if ever there was a venue to get this permanently it's this one.

PGA - Kiawah Island Ocean Course

Open Championship - Old Course at St. Andrews

US Open - Pinehurst #2

The Old Course because it is the home of golf. Kiawah and Pinehurst because I love watching tournaments played on those courses, they offer major championship worthy conditions and they are accessible for me to get to. With that said, I prefer that they kept rotating to keep things fresh and I enjoy seeing different major championship venues and challenges. That is the primary reason why I rank the Masters behind The Open and the US Open in my hierarchy of favorite majors.

British - Old Course
US Open-Bethpage Black
PGA- Pebble Beach.

US Open at Oak Hill. Kind of a homer pick and one of the first US opens I ever saw as well as the first ryder cup i watched.

Open would be Troon or Muirfield. To be different from most who say St Andrews

PGA championship would be Valhalla

US Open at Pinehurst #2
Open Championship at Muirfield
PGA at Pebble Beach

PGA at Hazeltine, selfish yes but the course is made for major events.

US Open: Oakmont
British Open: Carnoustie
PGA: Pinhurst #2

I would go Turnberry at the British. But agree with the others, leaning towards Valhalla and Pebble Beach.

British would be carnoustie for me. I'd love to see St. Andrews, but unless they require dialed back equipment for that one week it will get torn apart

US I'd say oakmont. Always seems to eat the guys alive and it's gorgeous

PGA I would say Bethpage Black, but set up a little easier than the us open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British - Carnoustie hands down
PGA - Valhalla
US Open - Oakmont

British- St. Andrews
PGA- Whistling Straits
US- Oakmont

US Open: Shinnecock or Oakmont. These two are my favorite US Open Venues. Bethpage is great IMO, but thats being shifted to PGA rotation now for majors and RC.

Open Championship: Carnoustie - course is just so hard, even without the weather conditions.

PGA: Valhalla - Produces some fun golf and the finishes in the 3 PGA Championships there have all been crazy good. I would throw Atlanta Athletic Club in the mix, but two majors year after year just a few hours apart in proximity, I'll pass.

I would love for Torrey to get a major yearly instead of the Farmers Insurance open just because the course sets up great every year for a dramatic finish. I know the pros don't like it but that should work in th favor of the PGA for course set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most will say St Andrews because of the history, but I would not go near it. The only defense that course has against the pros is weather, otherwise they slay it.

You can make that argument about any of the Open Championship courses, really. There are courses in the rotary that can't exactly be shredded in fair weather, but wind and tricky bounces are still the toughest variables of any Open course.

That being said, here's my list:

US Open: Oakmont. The definition of "golf's toughest test."

Open Championship: Muirfield. Best intersection of historical and tough in the rotary.

PGA: Hazeltine. This is probably the toughest one to decide because you're trying to go with a course that's exciting and difficult without being murderous. Also in a part of the country that isn't murderously hot at that time of year. If they could fix the fan issues that cropped up at the US Open, I'd actually say Chambers Bay, simply because it's a great course when they aren't wringing it out to the point of death and making the fans spectate from binoculars range.

I like all those except I would like to see the US open stay at Bethpage black or Oakmont. Even Merion CC. When those courses are set up with open conditions it makes for great viewing and really sets apart the elite golfers from the average. Those courses require solid ball striking and nerves of steel on the greens. Super fun to watch

Majors at the Same Venue

You can make that argument about any of the Open Championship courses, really. There are courses in the rotary that can't exactly be shredded in fair weather, but wind and tricky bounces are still the toughest variables of any Open course.

I would argue Carnoustie fits the bill.

I would argue Carnoustie fits the bill.

True. I'm really interested to see Carnoustie in action in 2018.

US Open - Beth Page Black. I love the fact that they use all the clubs in their bag here, long irons and long approaches are needed
British Open - Royal Troon. Some of it's history but for me it's one of the nicest looking courses on the Open rotation
PGA - Sahallee. This can be a tough course, it's very pretty to look at and can be set up tough.

Open - St. Andrews
US Open - Oakmont
PGA - Hazeltine

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I really don't mind the rotation, I think it prevents a horses for courses situation. I think the british open has it right with a set rotation of a few courses.
But, I do think the us open should be on a public course. Pebble beach, bethpage or pinehurst work for me.

Back