SuperStroke SS2R Review Thread

Nebgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
#GolfIsFun
This year SuperStroke came out with a new grip that offers a new shape for players to choose from. The new SS2R grip is a 1" x 1" square instead of the traditional rounded shape people have come to expect from SuperStroke, and I was lucky enough to win one from their twitter contest and this thread will be used to capture my thoughts and those of anyone else who tries this grip out.

From the company:

The SS2R square profile grip is a truly revolutionary design. This flat-surface concept is a new model for 2015. It’s solid rubber underlisting provides good back-weighting and excellent feedback. The proprietary PU outer skin and Cross-Traction pattern are the same as found on all other SuperStroke models

Width: 1.00"
Length: 10.50"
Weight: 105g
Core: 0.580"

e4e7356201b44716238fa1cdafcfdcb5.jpg

71faaa62f6633319b906c20517d8a242.jpg

860a0b5cc7e3ea4dba57da750c465269.jpg

One of my favorite grips is the SuperStroke 2.0 (comparison grip in the pictures), and I was a little concerned about the 1" width of this grip, as that is the diameter of the 1.0 that didn't work very well for me. However, with the 1" square grip, it actually feels a bit bigger in hand than the 1.0 because it is 1" at the outside instead of at the middle; not quite as large feeling as the 2.0, but close.

Besides the shape, another big difference between the SS2R and 2.0 (and really most of the SuperStroke grips) is the weight. The 2.0 comes in at 55g, but the SS2R is twice as heavy at nearly 110g. Because of this large weight difference, I decided to use the SS2R as a counterbalance grip on a Yes! long putter that I have cut down.

I installed the grip tonight along with some additional weight, and will update this thread once the grip dries and I can try it out.

That looks interesting. Guess I have to buy one now, dangit.

Looking forward to this. SS has some cool ideas coming this year and look forward to hearing about them.

Thanks for this, Ryan. I've been pondering a Rife Switchback at 35" with a counter-balanced grip, and this might well do the trick.

Nice Ryan! I just saw a segment on GC tonight that talked about orienting the FLAT side of a SS grip with the Right Hand and the face for Right Handed golfers. This grip does that automatically! Looking forward to your findings.

JM

Great info Ryan. My interest is peaked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info Ryan. The added weight and shape are quite interesting.

I've been playing this grip for a couple of weeks now and gotta say it's really comfortable especially witht the way I hold my putter. I went from the 3.0 to this and it clicked right away. I have mine back weighted with a 50 gram tourlock and feel it's just so comfortable.

Got the grip installed last night, and I started working with it a little tonight in my basement. The square grip feels fine, a bit different from the traditional rounded shape, but not bad by any means. With the square sides, it's easy to make sure my palms are parallel through the stroke. The weight of the grip is working exactly as intended to counterbalance my heavy putter head.

If I had one complaint at this point, I would say the grip doesn't fit well into the fingertips like the rounded grips or flatso seem to. While using it, I did have a thought that I might try out a little later; instead of installing it as a square, with the front parallel to the aim line, installing it as a diamond might help it fit in the finger tips a little better. At that point, I imagine the front would work similar to a Garsen grip with the ridge right down the middle, and the back would be similar to a flatso in feel. One of the benefits of installing with air, it shouldn't be hard to re-orient the grip and give it a try.

Need to get mine installed and give it a whirl.

So I did end up reinstalling this grip as a diamond, and initially it felt alright, but just wasn't falling in love with it. I do think it fit in my fingertips a little better than the square orientation, but not having a flat spot to rest my thumbs did cause me a little discomfort, though I'm sure it was mostly just mental.

Switched it back to square, and tweaked a bit on my hand positions and something clicked. I moved the putter grip a little bit more into my palms (don't tell Pat O'Brien), and the stroke got much easier and much more in control. The weight of the putter became much less noticeable and I started making a lot more putts. Obviously longer term testing is in order, but it seems this might work better for people who prefer to hold the putter in their palms; at least installed as a square. A diamond install might be better for fingertip putters.

Orange Hog tried mine today and I was afraid he wasn't gonna give me my putter back.

Orange Hog tried mine today and I was afraid he wasn't gonna give me my putter back.
What putter do you have yours installed on? Regular weight or are you using it as a counterbalance?

What putter do you have yours installed on? Regular weight or are you using it as a counterbalance?
I have mine on a Ping Scotsdale TR and I have a 50 gram Tourlock weight installed in it. The weight makes the driver so smooth.

I just picked one of these up and put it on one of my SeeMore's and I'm loving it so far. Feels super comfortable and I love that it has a little bit of added weight as well. I have SS Flatso Ultra's on everything else now, but this feels just as good if not better to me. Love the red as well. The flat sides + SeeMore RST could be pretty deadly. I can see myself staying much more on my putting line with that combo.

Just got a slim grip. Haven't installed it yet but looking forward to having it on this season (if it ever gets here).

Just ordered a few of these to put on some different putters in my collection, including my new Seemore DB4x. Can't wait! I really enjoyed this grip more than any other I've tried out recently.

If I didn't just buy new flatso ultras to put on my other putters, I would be going back for more of these. I just can't put it down it feels so good rolling putts with it. SuperStroke did a great job with this grip

Just ordered a few of these to put on some different putters in my collection, including my new Seemore DB4x. Can't wait! I really enjoyed this grip more than any other I've tried out recently.
I was wondering how long before you ordered one.

I just picked up a z3c that has one of these, love the feel right off the back, the flat lines really fall well in the hands.

I've essentially re-gripped almost my entire putter collection with this grip recently. Absolutely LOVE it! Being able to feel the leading edge/club face in my hands is a really nice advantage. My putting has been quite a bit more accurate since adding this grip. Sadly, I wrote this thing off when SS announced their new line up. Thanks to Jitzy for letting me try his a few weeks ago in Tampa.

I just can't write off the Flatso Ultra just yet. That thing feels so solid in my hands. But I did pick another one of these up for the DB4 I have now. LOVE the square shape

I've essentially re-gripped almost my entire putter collection with this grip recently. Absolutely LOVE it! Being able to feel the leading edge/club face in my hands is a really nice advantage. My putting has been quite a bit more accurate since adding this grip. Sadly, I wrote this thing off when SS announced their new line up. Thanks to Jitzy for letting me try his a few weeks ago in Tampa.

I'm really glad it worked out for you too.

Still debating whether to replace the stock Golf Pride grip on my 8883 with the SS2 that I won on Twitter.

I won this grip in their twitter contest as well. I installed in on my Callaway (yup, I said that right) S2H2 #2 putter (8802 like) and I love it. Great feel and balance for me.

Back